The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Nothing loose, any ratchet joints? How far out can the hip ball joints move? Does the hand hold the gun pretty securely? Wasn’t sure if it had a tab to further secure it.

2. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

* hand holds the gun very securely, without tabs. tabbing is provided, however, for the FIGHTER/BATTROID forearm mounting.

* the hip "joints" can only pivot outward laterally, as shown.

* most joints are polycap/friction, with only the two upper-leg joints (Knee and GERWALK) having only a very light and spotty ratcheting action.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Thanks man, I may eventually grab 1. Always looked appealing once I learned about it in the late 90’s.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    So we have any more info about the DX VF-1J GBP? Is April 22 a preorder night or just an announcement or what?

5. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Most likely an annoucement by now. If was a pre-order annoucment, both there and various Macross websites will plaster the product shots right away (including the most hated, love to hate NY).

April 25th or May 2/9 could be the actual madness dates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

If they follow form for the last few announcements, it will be a preview, photos, infodump kind of thing, and then they'll say the preorders open like a week or so later.

7. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! I thought it seemed odd that we haven't seen more yet, usually a PO wouldn't go up without more of an announcement.

8. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Interesting I didn't realize there were any changes between the different versions. Is there info on this anywhere?

I did briefly have the first one but sent it back after the head fell off. IIRC Packaging was cool though and the price (if the figure was decent) was reasonable considering where we are at now.

9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I have 3(VF-1J Rick/VF-1A Ben/VF-1S Roy). The info is from over 20 years ago, some of the sites/reviews/stores that posted it might not be around now. The way the MPC VF-1A-later releases turned out was the way they were supposed to have been released all along. The VF-1J Rick started the line but had been delayed. I think it was released as-is since the demand at the time was high(take into account this was right after the cease and desist orders went out, there was a lot of hype and this was the 1st domestically released non-SD transformable VF-1 toy after Jetfire and it had been delayed long enough, so no one knew what to expect). The hype died down immediately after release after the initial reviews(most said it was overpriced, rightfully so and not the evolutionary step it was hyped up to be). IIRC I think there may be magnets that were planned but not implemented in their entirety until the MPC VF-1A-onwards. I also forgot if the leg attachment to the backplate in fighter mode was redesigned. There was a clip or some kind of connection point that didn’t make it to final production as well.

Looking back, at best the MPC incorporated things from the HCM and Imai/Bandai kits from the 80’s(tailhooks from HCM, boarding ladder/pilot figure/opening canopy from the kits). The box was nice too. At worst it was overpriced in light of both the incoming(at the time) Bandai 1/55 reissues and Yamato V1 1/60 VF-1 and disproportionate after extending the limbs/nose from 1/65 to 1/55 by length rather than scaling up all around resulting in a lanky silhouette. Construction-wise it also felt cheap. If you paid full price for it and already handled Japanese Macross toys, you likely would’ve felt ripped off getting the MPC. It did some good things but didn’t excel at any and was largely an afterthought after the Yamato 1/48 was released. I do think the MPC had a better gerwalk mode though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yertle

Yertle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ordered the sealed 'Origin of Valkyrie' Hikaru VF-1J on Mandarake. The only chunky monkey I ever owned was a Jetfire missing the backpack/vertical stabilizer so I'm excited to get a fresh one. Only really need one 1/55, so the Hikaru VF-1J is a nice one-off to represent the design

• Like Like x 4
  11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    1 of the best IMO, once you see it in person, that grey and red looks really appealing. The red stripe on the vertical stabilizers is unique to 1/55 VF-1J Hikarus.

12. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Nice move! Also fixed that for ya!:p 

• Like Like x 1
  13. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    For now.

Wait till you get it and play with it... Then you'll want one with Strike Parts. One with Super Parts. Oh yeah, maybe a Hikaru VF-1A to balance the J and S versions in the collection. Then a VF-1A Brown since it looks good in that color. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Slave IV

And one with GBP.

• Like Like x 1
  15. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Next thing you know you have a Macross Chunky problem. First you start convincing your wife that you're almost done. Next is explaining to a judge what Macross is and the difference between a Chunky and DX...

16. Morty Prime

Morty Prime Well-Known Member

Holy crap. The YF-29 I ordered from nin-nin three weeks ago changed status and is showing as picked up by DHL. I might actually not be out $300.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

funny, my first ever 1/55 VF-1 was also a JETFIRE, this one with a missing right arm.

i managed to order up a replacement arm assembly from Jerry Tsai's "VF-1x .com" for around $20,
    and then i decided to do a little custom work. this was just about a full 20 years ago.

it wasn't until much later, -around 2013/2014-ish- that i got my first and currently only genuine MACROSS 1/55, the BANDAI 2002 reissue VF-1J Ichijo;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Slave IV

Hey @Tasuke
    Just wondering if you ever made or thought about doing a Zentradi uniform?

001bc.jpg 001b.jpg 001be.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. The Sqidd

The Sqidd Banned

• Like Like x 3
  20. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: