The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

They forgot to add at the end they are only making 1,000 of these for scalpers to resell on the secondary market. 300 of those are already spoken for by Bandai staff, their families and friends.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

:banghead: 

3. betsuni

I love the hype and video that they gave this release, just not happy with knowing how much of a nightmare it will be to even attempt landing one. Now I will be pleasantly surprised if they do make enough for all the pre-orders and have a bunch extra for release day. I just know better that this will never happen and even the re-release in 5-10 years from now will also sell out of pre-orders in a blood bath.

It does make me wonder if Harmony Gold and Bandai worked it out so they could be released here in the States if they would make more. Just thinking out loud but I know the answer would still probably be no.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Refreshing to hear Misa’s voice actor come back. Even better if they could’ve gotten Akira Kamiya to narrate.
    It’s reasonably expected to be bad but the DX VF-1J stuck out to me for being relatively easy to order compared to other DX’s. I hope history repeats itself with this DX VF-1S Roy. Of all the DX VF-1’s this is likely to be the highest in demand so I hope Bandai takes that into account like they seemingly did with the DX VF-1J Hikaru.

If Bandai worked something out it’d probably have Bluefin(their domestic distro arm) and HG involved and cost more, I think.

• Like Like x 3
  5. betsuni

I think that the reason Hikaru's VF-1J was easier to get is that most of us didn't know it came out till way after thanks to the more common media sites. Heck, I read about it on Forbes! After that you have a bunch of people like me lurking and pre-ordering from that point on. Probably some scalpers too...

6. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    While possible, most of the folks here and elsewhere who normally order these were aware of it. So I do think there was a higher production run and less order limiting(on Bandai’s side) for the DX VF-1J. The author on Forbes had written articles for previous Macross releases prior to the DX VF-1.

In any case, I do hope there’s enough to go around for anyone with ease at the etailers of their choice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-Known Member

I always read that Roy's VF-1S is popular. Is there proof of this? Is this just outside of Japan as I also keep reading that Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S is more popular in Japan? I'm checking the pricing at Mandarake and Hikaru's DYRL 1S is priced higher than Roy's 1S, granted they are both DYRL.

8. betsuni

Thanks for the information on the Forbes guy (I honestly never paid attention till the VF-1J popped up on a news feed). Always good to know that perhaps there were more of a supply and less order limiting for the VF-1J.

I'm going to seriously hope that is the case for this one and wish everybody good luck!

9. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I sure hope your speculations are correct Shin. @betsuni believe it or not, the VF-1J was really easy to get - probably the easiest Macross preorder I've ever experienced. For one, Amazon Japan opened preorders and shipping to US was allowed. I ordered from there and even after I placed my order I remember it stayed open for maybe 20 minutes? I was able to post here several times during the open window, trying to convince people to go and create an AJ account and just order it. @NeoMatter was the one who posted the link in the first place and so far as we know, that was the first time AJ allowed Macross preorders.

Preorder night conversation history around here:
    The Macross Thread

• Like Like x 3
  10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    You’re welcome. The availability just stuck out as odd to me on that specific preorder night as it was not at all as I expected.

There’s always the possibility that Bandai will make a DYRL? VF-1S Roy with the movie pilot Roy, yellow arrow markings, reused movie head from the VF-1S Hikaru and movie cockpit but I want the TV version more. I like the new head Bandai sculpted as it makes that release unique.

I do too, it’s wishful thinking on my part. I really can’t think of any other DX VF-1 they’d expand availability for(aside from the DYRL? Movie VF-1S Roy Focker Special). The VF-1S Roy Focker Special is arguably the most popular VF design out there.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Happynick

Happynick Well-Known Member

Roy VF-1S is more well know and will connect with people that watched Macross and or Robotech.

Both are high demand , so I would say that Bandai would at least produces the same amount as their dx VF-1S Hikaru.

So If you cant that get it on preorder night, or reopenings, or near release date, then you can expect the the price to be similar to what the VF-1s Hikaru is going for now.

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yes there is proof. If you didn’t watch the anime, you need not look further than the release history for the toys. Roy’s VF-1S is a design companies usually rerelease since they know it’ll sell well. Yamato rereleased his VF-1 in different scales multiple times, the only other designs that were reissued as much or close were Hikaru’s VF-1S and his VF-1J.

13. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-Known Member

I was referring to previously released ones (HMR, PF 1/60, etc.) I forgot to include that on my original post.

14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Another reason why I like that Bandai made an all new TV VF-1S head is that until Bandai makes another movie VF-1S(Max or Roy), Hikaru literally has his own, unique VF-1S in the line. Sure that uniqueness goes away once a movie VF-1S Roy or Max are made but that’s a cool and unique difference for now.

15. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

@tekering may have insight since he lives in Japan. :hookday 

(Now, why the taco you may ask? Simply because I never get a chance to use it.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. TJDetweiler13

TJDetweiler13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah the VF-1J was super easy to grab! I managed to get 4 and sold them to my friends - 2 to keep.

I do believe it was easy maybe it was the very first 1/48 DX

Goodluck everyone on getting DX VF-1S Roy! I will be in for the hunt on this one!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    The 1J was easy because it was the first and people were still in the poo-pooing stage. “Why another VF-1?” “Why 1/48 again?” “Bandai will never make something as good as the Arcadia 1/60” “I’m not going to start another line after buying 1/60 for so long.” Etc etc.

Then it came out and blew everyone away and suddenly everyone had to have one. :lol 

I’m already planning to bend over and eat my pineapple salad for Roy. I only want one DX 1/48, and that’s TV Roy, so I’ll find a way if I get nuked on preorder night.

• Like Like x 2
  18. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I'm ready for PO night, bring it on!!! Sunday night right? I saw some rumbling on MW about Thursday/Friday night instead.

19. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    The Bandai page has both 7/3 and 7/5 on it so I’m prepared to be up both nights. :lol 

20. borgified

borgified Advanced Enabler with Nanoprobes

News Credits:
    There's a Tamashii Nations Show as well during that week and it looks like it will by reservations only for those who are invited.