The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

That's good to hear.

I like how it looks nothing like any normal jet. Plus the only image I had of the VF-4 long ago was this pixelated bitmap image I downloaded. Did not know what the heck I was looking at, but loved the design.

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    It was very rare to get a good look at the VF-4 outside of old magazines and garage kits, because Kawamori hadn't even finalized the gerwalk, battroid and head designs until the mid-90's for the VFX and M3 video games! Even in his VF design works book there was just a pencil sketch for 1 of the modes. I like how sleek it is and the SR-71 influence. It screams speed.

What a time to be alive too. 20 years ago I was scouring the internet just to see pictures of the VF-4 and now here we are with a few toys of it by different companies.

• Like Like x 1
  3. borgified

borgified Nanoprobes anyone?

News Credits:
    Here's the low down between the Arcadia vs Yamato stand.

DSC01720.jpg DSC01721.jpg

Arcadia on the left, Yamato on the right.

Arcadia has the two leg posts that you can put as extensions, more foot present than the Yamato and has weights on the sides plus a storage space. The Yamato is small and has the tendency to topple over if a large valk is put on a wrong angel.

The minus for the Arcadia is that you have to get the attaching adapters from the Yamato, however the Arcadia has the rounded VF-0 adapter.

DSC01722.jpg

Launch arms: Yamato (top) and Arcadia (bottom).

See the differences between the two? Yamato's a bit more flimsier and it uses a crazy amount of screws to tighten up the joints, while the Arcadia uses less and more sturdier to handle.

Edit: Launch claws are different too.

DSC01724.jpg

The Yammie (on top) has the fixed claw arms, while the Arcadia doesn't. Differences are there also.

See?? The power of enablement to diversify your Macross collection and to destroy your wallet at the same time! :D 

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Ahhh that explains why I only had that really bad image file back in the 90s. Searched all over the place for more information on it back then.

Yes it is really cool that there are a few toys of it now.

Yep! I really should avoid this thread but I love this series so much. It is good to be Macross fan.

• Like Like x 2
  5. borgified

borgified Nanoprobes anyone?

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  6. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

It’s been awesome. I’ve had it hanging over that edge for some time now. The trick seems to be in using the leg extensions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

The Arcadia stand is excellent!

1F83853C-5E50-4053-808F-7AC9CE039C1B.jpeg

My only complaint with it is the specific look it has. To me, it would just look dumb to have too many Valks displayed on it. I don’t want all my Valks to look like they are in about to launch mode and no other mode makes any sense to be on the stand. That’s why I only bought two of them.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    7th or so transformation of my Bandai DX YF19 back to fighter mode. Probably smoothest transformation back, legs seemed to want to work much more with me in getting back to the right place/locking point.

One of the nicer models in my collection for sure, but definitely the trickiest to cycle through modes.

I get the feeling the YF21 will be more of the same :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Mikuru Asahina♥

2000/2001 was my very first baby steps upon the WWW, and i was all over the place, gathering as much as i could find on MACROSS in general.

i was just beginning to learn about all that was actually out there concerning the VF-1, from the once peerless BANDAI HCMs,
    to the utter breadth of 1/55 editions, from TAKATOKU originals to the then-current 2001 BANDAI reissues...

i was also a hardcore "Tenchi Muyo!" fan back then, and did some goofy MACROSS/TM! fanart;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i dunno about draftsman's skill, as it has been years now since i've practiced any,
    but so far as collecting VF-1 toys goes, well, i've come a LONG way in two decades;

MY FIRST VF-1, CUSTOMIZED TF JETFIRE, 2000-ish;

[​IMG]

MY CURRENT STANDARD-BEARER, BANDAI DX 1/48;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  10. FireSkyJet

Man, i want to transform mine but I got one with the sh&@ty vertical stabilizer. If you look at it wrong the left one falls off.

11. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    Are those the tailfins? Mine occasionally come off as well, but nothing too serious. Hardest part of the transformation is IMHO fitting the legs back to where they need to be for fighter mode. The bent elbows pretty much have to slot in to the leg cavity before anything can line up.

I maintain my sanity by never, ever, caring enough to attempt fighter mode with fast packs. Never lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The cylinders that pivot under the chest are what gets me. I do prefer how the arms transform on this compared to the Yamato 19's.

DX 21 I hope doesn't have de-limiter mode as that, coupled with Bandai tolerances(and the usual over-engineering on anything non-VF1) could be a nightmare. I know they probably WOULD want to make a Delimiter mode but I hope they just save a DX YF-21 limbless Delimiter version as a TamashiiWeb exclusive.

13. Knightdramon

News Credits:
    The gattling guns? Admittedly I don't see what the point is about them being articulated; they pretty much end up in the same spot in both modes. A prime example of Bandai's over engineering. Arms are far simpler than the Arcadia one, which is a nice bonus, but at the expense of doing that whole fancy thing with the shield and the black cover. +1 followed by -1 for me lol.

I hope Bandai does a figuarts zero kind of delimiter mode for the YF21. The arms on the Yamato one were fairly straightforward but the legs definitely suffered for it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yea those things, wasn't sure if they were guns since the regular guns in fighter mode are in the LERX's.

The Yamato 21 transformation integrity was compromised for me mainly due to the detachable legs for Delimiter mode. Made it far too easy to pop them out when you had to swivel them 90 degrees to go back to Fighter mode.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FireSkyJet

LOL yeah and there is that. Took me too damn long to get those on in fighter mode

• Like Like x 1
  16. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***MACROSS NooB!***

Collecting on a budget but anyone of you guys owned or have messed around with the Revoltech YF-19/22? Sorta feels like my cup of tea as I like messing and posing my figures for fun. Any input be great.!

17. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I don't have them but the older Revo figures in general aren't as good as the recent ones and of course, they don't transform. For smaller, cheaper figures that you can mess around with easier, I highly recommend the Bandai Hi-Metal R line. Only problem with it is it is so good, with so many options that go so well together that you will be compelled to buy them ALL! Blowing that budget instantly, lol!:p 

• Like Like x 2
  18. nilcam

nilcam Well-Known Member

I prefer the Gn-u Dou YF-19. Amazon has it for $20 and the fast pack upgrade kit usually goes for $13. The Revoltech is cool too. The Gnu has crisper detail but the Revoltech is more poseable, if a bit fussy to work with.

If you plan to stick to a budget, DO NOT BUY HMR! I've collected many lines, including GI Joe, and I've never been a troop builder and somehow I more in 5 VF-1A cannon fodder units.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Oh my HMR VF-4G just shipped from AJ. Eta is Wednesday. I sort of forgot this was coming soon, I'm losing track of time lately.

Also is it me or has it been a while since the last midnight pre-order madness? I... kind of miss it?? I mean hanging out with all you guys, etc. It's crazy but it brings us together in a way that nothing else does. Hahaha...

• Like Like x 3
  20. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

If you want real midnight madness get into the Metal Build line. We all get to suffer panic attacks together as we struggle to get pre-orders in on the regular.