The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

• Like Like x 1
  2. magick

magick Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Any other place beside NY. I'm pretty sure they canceled my account for daring to ask them to replace a broken VF-4 back in the Yamato days.

3. Slave IV

Haha, then I think you are out of luck. I’ve been on the fence about ordering another one from them. If I do, you want me to get an extra for you?

4. AtomicLad

AtomicLad Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I appreciate the input, I did get my Max (Ironically ended up with 2, just sold the other here to another member) but the whole hassle of it all and not being able to secure preorder at MSRP made me rethink investing in the line is all.

5. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Yeah.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I'm ok with just having the Hikkie-1J and Max-1A, which I each got for less than MSRP shipped.

I'm especially not playing Bandai's stupid nickel-n-dime strategy with the DX-valk line (or any Bandai line).

Even less so paying the scalpers for any of it.

6. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Is Nippon Yasan bad? I'm slightly getting tempted to order a set after seeing everybody's here. But I'm trying to stay strong and only stick with the mechs themselves.

7. Slave IV

Some people seem to hate them for various reasons that I assume begin from them not being able to get a preorder from them at the lowest price possible:D . For me, they are my go to shop and have always delivered my orders and saved me thousands of dollars with no issues. Ymmv

• Like Like x 2
  8. betsuni

News Credits:
    Ah ok, thanks for that information. Glad to see that some have good experiences with them as well as the bad. That will help with my decision.

9. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

Totally. You just have to have tempered / correct expectations @betsuni . They aren't going to give you customer service in the same fashion that you would expect in the States / Nor Amer. But they have always come through for me as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AtomicLad

AtomicLad Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They always come through but what they are doing often with their preorders is reselling stock they are sourcing from other shops so fulfilment can take a LONG time. And they charge through the nose. So while SSP will release in April, good chance you may not see yours ship for several weeks to months.

For what it is worth, I do have a SSP set on preorder with NY, happy too pass it off to someone here if interested since I have no plans for DYRL livery in this line.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. betsuni

News Credits:
    Cool, thank you for your input as well. Only reason I'm tempted is that I so hope that one day a Kakizaki VF-1A will be released and I get one. Then I figure I'll be tempted to have a strike package as well by then and with my luck they won't sell them anymore, especially given what you all say here about Macross toy releases.

Ah, now that sucks.

12. Slave IV

No problem! To me, I really feel the “bad”are mostly from people with unrealistic expectations as I’ll elaborate on below.

Good point! I would add that customer service when buying products not meant for markets outside of Japan, from Japan can be a tossup from any Japanese shop. Any shop willing to sell to us is already providing a “customer service” beyond what should be expected. Some shops may be more willing to work with you on issues but I’ve had reasonably good experience and luck with all the main players. I’ve heard NY and AE are more reluctant to deal with defective items compared to HLJ and amiami but they also add the service of offering TWE items. In the recent case of the wrong legs on the Arcadia SV-51, only NY and HLJ went through the trouble of dealing with getting the correct parts from Arcadia and sending them to customers in the US.
    Some complain that NY sometimes takes longer to ship. One possible reason is because they are not located on the main Island of Japan so it would make sense that some shipments may take longer for them to receive and get out internationally. They have also been the first to ship things out on many occasions so who knows? All I know is I place every order I can through them which ends up being hundreds of items a year and NY has always taken good care of me. Most items I get there end up costing less shipped than most other stores charge without shipping so that is one of the main factors that keeps me going back to them.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Slave IV

The part about them reselling stock sourced from other shops is complete speculation, not a known fact and it makes no sense as an explanation for why they often deliver late on items they charged less than any other shop offered to begin with. As long as you get their initial preorder price, it is almost always (pretty much 100% for Macross items) cheaper than any other store. Even the SSP are still available to order from them at original price, which is lower than you can get it from anywhere other than if you live in Japan so I’m not sure how that is charging “through the nose”. They are known to markup high demand/low supply items after they sell an allotted initial amount at the lowest price but not sure how anyone who supports capitalism can argue against that logic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. betsuni

News Credits:
    Ah ok, that's interesting to know about them. Thanks for more information. I know it still doesn't help me decide if I actually want a SSP set or not, but it helps me decide if I want to order from NY.

I assume that the SSP can fit on Max's VF-1A right now since it is a similar build.

15. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

I beg to differ. At this point, I believe Slave IV partly owns NY, has a stake in it, or banging Fiona from NY. Which is it? Be honest. Lol! Just being real man, if somebody wanted a fair assessment on NY, I wouldn't point them to you for answers as you seem to gloss over their mistakes. :) 

Normal expectation is delivering on time which is a crapshoot with NY compared to other JP retailers. It's just random without any reason and they won't be honest about it. Last debacle was taking POs for the SSP for the December release but it seems they never placed their orders on time and placed everybody on the April release. You'll get it eventually does not excuse a retailer for misleading the consumer.

Then there's the PF VF-0D. They knew about the upcoming delay but sent out an invoice requesting payment or cancellation if not paid. Kinda a grey area for me since this is sort of MTO so advance payment wouldn't be out of the norm.

Then there's the shady act of buying stock from other retailers during PO events.

I've stopped using them so yeah. Buyer beware.

• Like Like x 1
  16. betsuni

News Credits:
    Cool! Thanks for the input as well. All of the posts and opinions on dealing with them does help me decide on using a site/retailer. It gives me a good idea of what to expect with them.

17. Slave IV

Who is this Fiona person?:D 

I dunno and don’t care who buys from where but you seem to be flossing over my whole post explaining factual pluses and minuses of NY with logical possibilities to explain them. If anyone has an agenda, you seem to have a hate for them that causes you to try to pass off complete illogical speculation as fact just to spite them. Why in the world would anyone buy stock at a higher price from other retailers just to fulfill orders they charged at a lower price than any other shop offered to begin with? That’s completely ridiculous and I would like to see the receipts or any documents that supports the claim that NY does this. If it is true that they did, all it shows is that they went even beyond what most stores would imagine doing to eat such losses to complete their customer orders.

Again, I have no stake and would love if people didn’t buy from NY to make my orders easier to place. I give you props for not using them if you dislike them but the funny thing is most the complaints I hear about them are from people who still continually buy from them. I’m just giving insight based on my own experience, which is buying hundreds of items and spending thousands of dollars a year from all the main shops. Out of all of them, NY is my favorite because of one thing - lowest prices. I have never worried about any crapshoot of getting my items sooner or later from them. We are talking about maybe less than five items out of the main lines of toys people like us are interested in the last couple years that were delayed in any way from NY. That is hardly an epidemic to be complaining about, imo but yeah, ymmv.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The super/strike parts are compatible with Max, basically all 3 DX VF-1's released so far. Jenius has pics of his DX VF-1A Max on his review as well.

He did point out that the leg/forearm connection in fighter mode(with the armor on) isn't as good as the Yamatos. That's disappointing as Bandai pretty much copied the Yamatos yet made that connection worse. Yamato way of securing the leg to the body in fighter mode(with armor on), was to had a shallow hook/extension molded onto the body tab inwards. With the DX it's just a straight/rectangular tab.

He also thinks a more expensive FAST pack might be on the way later with more removable panels and more internal details(like the Yamatos).

• Like Like x 1
  19. betsuni

News Credits:
    Ooh that is interesting speculation about a more expensive FAST pack coming later. Would make sense for the collectors and fans.

Dangit, now I'm torn. Hahahaha. Thanks!

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    You're welcome. Wouldn't be surprised if he's right. I think I would still opt for the current packs since I have the detailed packs on my 1/60 VF-1's.