The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

You know, mine were tight on my 1J, and I wondered if they'd loosen those up a bit. I'm planning to wait to see if the resale values of the 1S come down a bit, sort of like how the 1A did, on AJ.

2. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

Are there any sellers on AJ shipping to the US? I’ve been watching the listings thinking maybe if the prices got low enough I’d pick one up, but haven’t seen any doing the international yet. Even the one that several of us used to get the Max 1A isn’t doing it this time around.

3. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-Known Member

Prices have gone down a bit on AJ but nobody is shipping directly to the US yet. Probably when it hits 24K Yen including JP tax and the seller has that 5% back cashless promotion, the total cost (including Amazon's shipping) will be close to retail plus EMS if bought somewhere else. It's just been a week since release so maybe another week and we'll see it be made available to ship internationally.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I found one that shipped to US yesterday but it was ~26000 + ~4000 shipping so a bit over 30000. I passed on that.

5. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

I think we’re going to be hard pressed to find an AJ seller simply because AJ themselves never released with global ship.

6. FireSkyJet

Question for the group: Thoughts on the YF-25 Prophecy or VF-171EX Nightmare Plus. Are those grails to have or plagued with issues like the rest of Frontier?

7. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

I had both the yf-25 and a vf-25a. I only wanted one of the mold but couldn’t decide, so I bought both.

ended up selling the yf-25. Something about it in person didn’t quite stand up to the pictures I’d seen. I also though the 25a had more “character” to it, if that makes sense (but I’ve also always had a soft spot for grunt mecha).

At any rate, it’s the same as all the other renewal vf-25s. Mine was brand new when I opened it but had slightly looser hip connection than my 25a, and I think one of the shoulders was a little looser, so basically just all the expected issues with these figures.

I wouldn’t really call either a grail though. You can find them really easily and they cost about the same as any other Macross figure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't have the Prophecy but I had the V1 DX Alto and I have the Renewal 25F/G/S' and RVF-25. The Prophecy has the same build as the other Renewals aside from the new head and canopy. So it's not immune to issues present on the others. The problem is there's no telling when the issues will come up. You can literally leave 1 on a stand untouched(in a plain pose that's not weighing down the joints) for 3 years in an air conditioned room with in non-tropical/extreme climate only to find some if its balljoints rag doll loose later. How that happens is beyond me. Ditto for the spring pin cracks.

I have the DX VF-171EX Alto, I consider it the most beautiful Macross lemon I own. Very disappointed given how much I liked it in the anime. Looks great but is overengineered(especially noticeable if you handle the Yamato VF-17 afterwards which was said to be designed by the same guy) in ways that are not impressive. Bandai nailed it in screen accuracy but you'll question the lack of locking for the lower torso/hips(common complaint), why the hand retraction makes a simple thing more complex and why the knee/lower leg pivots were made to be more complex than needed. It's almost as if the DX VF-171 was a working rough draft and the Yamato VF-17 is like how the DX VF-171 should've been(transformation-wise).

They look pretty but just giving my honest opinion, looks aren't everything when Yamato raised the bar pretty high when they were around. I expect more out of Bandai since they're a far bigger company. They've come quite a ways from their Macross license squatting days but still have a ways to go.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Best description of the 171 I've ever read! It looks great, and incredibly screen accurate. But it is the least fun VF to handle that I own. It's frustrating in ways that it should not be, and is just not fun to transform at all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    It's sad as it's a beautiful translation from onscreen to physical form...lookswise. If Bandai retools the hell out of it to be as solid as can be and simplified in the right ways, I would double dip

11. FireSkyJet

• Like Like x 1
  12. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was I who snagged the last one shipped by AnazonJP. Got tired of NY not shipping mine yet and I'm an impatient fucker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    No problem. I had grown up liking Bandai toys and had very high hopes with the DX Frontier line. That honeymoon period went away with the DX V1 VF-25. So since then I've tempered my expectations and they're better now but still have growing pains.

This is coming from a guy that actually was okay with the sculpt of the DX VF-25 V1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FireSkyJet

Man, I love Frontier and keep hoping for one that will work but looks like I’ll have to wait. Hopefully, we see another iteration at some point.

15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    A lot of the problems could be solved by making a new VF-25 in a bigger scale, like 1/48 to complement the relatively new DX VF-1 line. More room to incorporate ratchet joints instead of ball joints and more locking mechanisms. I think Frontier and the VF-25 are popular enough to justify moving to 1/48 scale, the only other Valkyrie to fit the bill(in popularity) IMO, is the YF-19.

Bandai Hobby did tease a 1/48 VF-25 plamo years back but it's vaporware.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Call me crazy but I did enjoy the V1 VF25 Alto with the blue fastpacks a great deal. At the time it felt like a solid, chunky toy. Think I lucked out as the rest of the V1 releases were a bit mixed, especially the Ozma with cracking wing joints that also needed the neck extender for battroid. I lucked out and got a VF25S Ozma [v2] and sold it within a week due to lack of proper battroid chest lock. Had I received the very same figure today I would have kept it as I really enjoyed the gerwalk and fighter.

Sadly I think all the issues with the 25's [renewals and originals] still plague the new releases, we just haven't owned them for that long or had really heavy armours on them for a while. My 31F [right?] Messer has NOTICEABLY looser joints than all the others. I've owned it since release and to be fair it's been transformed a good amount of times, but easily under 30 times. The 31 CF has been in fighter mode since day 2. Only transformed once. 31S Arad has about 5-6 transformations but the weight of the armour packs in battroid have me scared, so it's in fighter mode for now. Joints were still tight. YF19 is still tight but some of the leg joints have loosened up, and the 1/48 Max has some joints that are looser than others.

I think that whatever material Bandai uses for the metal joints don't take too well to the metal joint+ plastic socket. It's usually those joints [VF25 and 31 shoulders, 25 hips, 17 hips, 19 and 27 hips] that appear to be the most problematic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I agree. I've noticed on my HI METAL R VF-2SS, their leg ball joints are looser than my HI METAL R VF-1's, the key difference being that the former are made of diecast, the latter's hip ball joint and sockets are made of plastic.

The metal ball joints I've never really seen go loose over time are from the Yamato V2 1/60 VF-1. On their 1/48, the rubber washer eventually wore away and left the ball joints rag doll loose(never happened on my Yamato V2 1/60 VF-1's). So on the V2 1/60 VF-1, Yamato was definitely onto something with their hip design. Not sure what kind of washer was used or if a washer was used at all, but it was done right. That's another thing Bandai ought to copy seeing as they've copied about everything else from Yamato's VF-1. Wish they'd copy how easy it was to retract the landing gear on Yamato's VF-1's, instead they minimized clearance, added steps(have to pull the doors straight down before pivoting out) and added the rear gear pivot(which I'm indifferent about). It's like that saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

18. Face

Face Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of selling my Arcadia VF-4, any interest?

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Finally....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  20. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    One big thing that stands out for the DX VF-1S compared to the Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru(I sold my copy months back), is that the DX is much more solid and balanced. For example, even when my Yamato 1/48 was brand new, it was always kind of rickety and tricky to balance even when standing in a neutral position. The added heft aids the DX in making it far easier to stand and much less tricky to balance. I could easily have it standing in battroid mode with very little manipulation needed if at all.

With my Yamato 1/48, I had to make sure there was enough of a foot print so it wouldn't fall all the way on its back or face.