The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Mandarake is an excellent and dangerous source for already released items.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

Just got an NY update. Strike Parts are releasing 12/23.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-Known Member

That means it will be in preparation until 1st of April and ship out 3 weeks after. You should receive it close to April 23.

5. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I assume you mean dangerous to one’s bank account…

6. FireSkyJet

Haha yeah that might be the case considering I made the rookie move of buying 4 of them together. I should’ve done 2 with NY and 2 from like AE. Or even just 2 separate orders from NY. o_O 

7. Slave IV

Most definitely. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  8. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else not get a shipping notice from NY for their VF1S?

9. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been a hell of a week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This fella came in from NY today.

If you have one of the other DX VF-1s, then you pretty much know the level of quality to expect. Tolerances seem a bit better than on my VF-1J, particularly the swing bar latch. Tampo work is gorgeous. Turns out he's the same gray off-white as the 1J. Pleasantly surprised on that front, as the promo pics had me thinking he might be more of a pure white. I do wish his "ears" could sit a bit more flush with his head, but that's a pretty small nitpick in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, I ended up putting my DX VF-1J up on eBay, if anyone is looking!

• Like Like x 6
  10. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

The more I see photos of Hikaru's VF-1S the more it is growing on me. I just really love the VF-1 design.

• Like Like x 3
  11. FireSkyJet

Both Hobby Search and NY arrived today. Here’s mine below and NY is spoken for by another board member here. Glad to keep it in the family.

075F392C-2DE6-4C30-9A3D-077BCB5DB7BB.jpeg F2231C3A-BB45-48BD-BBB6-A082B4373EF1.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Got my DX VF-1S in. Initial impressions:
    • I think this production run was rushed to meet high demand before the holiday season was over. Joints are looser compared to my DX VF-1A Max, feels similar to my DX VF-1J(as in, after having handled my DX VF-1J for a while). I'm used to DX Macross figures with diecast ball joints from Bandai going loose over time, but not out of the box.
    • Canopy has a tighter fit due to the pilot being bigger and the movie arrangement of the sidesticks(you can have the pilot figure grab on to each one). Since the pilot is made of PVC, the forearms can squeeze inwards a bit to shut the canopy all the way.
    • Mine has the misprint "100" modex number on the right stabilizer. Not a dealbreaker but a surprise nonetheless. Also surprising to not see the Skull Team badge printed aft of the canopy.
    • The dark grey latch that tabs into the fuselage in battroid mode below the waist swivel can come undone easily through mere movement of the hips. This was something my DX VF-1J has but seemed rectified on the DX VF-1A(on my VF-1A you have to try to pry the hip bar/latch off)
    • The head sculpt IMO is the best VF-1S head sculpt I've seen in toy form. The 1S head is hard to draw and harder to capture in physical form. Yet it manages to look like Kawamori's lineart without looking flat nor stiff. There is a difference from previous 1S head sculpts where the frills beneath the chin/cheeks are molded separately from the head(or there's a gap present). The head laser bases are ball jointed like on the 1J but each head laser is able to pivot at an angle like a monoshaft joint. Makes for a much more dynamic head sculpt.
    • Rear landing gear don't really click into position when moving forward.
    • Intake covers still fall out easily
    For now, in short, bring on Roy's VF-1S, I just hope the tolerances are just as tight as my DX VF-1A Max.

And sans serif Arial or Impact font would be better for his name printed on the canopy frame. Surprised Tenjin went with fancy font for the names.

It also blows my mind how well the head tucks in for fighter/gerwalk mode. You can barely see the visor. Bandai excels in that department.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I will skip Hikaru's 1S and just wait for Roy. I'n glad I got the VF-1A Max to experience the mold at it's best so far in terms of build quality.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Slave IV

Waiting for Roy is not a bad idea but I wouldn't judge the quality of Hikaru's 1S based on one person's copy. Plenty of people have reported as good or better tolerances as the 1A with the only fault being the Tampo mishap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm gonna commit to some mental gymnastics and excuse the tampo mishap by saying...on one side we read the "001" from left to right like we do here in the US, but on the other side, you'd read it from right to left like they do over there traditionally (at least the Chinese did way back in the day, and in some respects, they still do). In a way, it's still "001" :D 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Slave IV

Haha, that's a great way to justify it! To me, it's a complete non-factor either way. I saw on MW that you can easily remove the tampo if you wish with thinner and it is printed directly on black plastic so no worry about damaging any paint under it.

17. FireSkyJet

My worry about doing that is what if the rest of the squad have the same “issue”? I’d rather wait and see.

18. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Meh, I'm personally not bothered by it enough to do that.

19. Slave IV

Pretty much. The tiny numbers mean next to nothing to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    The Max one is good and what sticks out too is the shade of blue that Bandai used. It doesn't show up well in pics but in person it's pleasantly darker compared to the Yamatos. Hopefully Roy's VF-1S will be just as tight as my Max 1A.

The head lasers are fun to manipulate on the DX 1S. You can have them looking like either pair that the HI METAL R 1S comes with.

I've also noticed that the drawer joints on the legs for my DX 1S are easier to move(in a good way) compared to my DX 1A/J.