The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Thanks. Same to you. I want to say thanks for this thread, forum and all of you here.

• Like Like x 5
  2. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Same guys! You and all the regulars make this a fun place to hang out. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Haha, Happy Thanksgiving!
    I’m contemplating if I should pay for my PF VF-0D today. The exchange rate is pretty good for us right now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Not here too often, because I can’t afford to get too many Valkyries. I have a 1/60 19, 25, and 29, and love them all. I’m strongly considering grabbing a vf1j (Valkyrie Factory), and am toying with the idea of a vf31(I’m not sure they’re different enough from the 25 & 29 to bother). What I really wish I could get is a good 1/60 vf17d. I love the design. I’m considering grabbing an old second hand Bandai 1/65 17d to hold that spot, but I wish there were a completely in scale and well designed one on the market. I don’t suppose there’s been any announcement of that?

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

No 17s announced recently. I'd just watch secondary markets and places like Mandarake. The 31 is a big improvement over all previously released Bandai DX valks. As for Valk Factory, unless you can get a great deal on a sale, I don't think they are priced low enough for what you get. I'd rather just get official.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

As a kid, I was addicted to the soap opera, the Robotech version, anyway. The story was fun and I had no problems with the characters and the pacing of the plot. It had a good story, especially for an afternoon cartoon.

DYRL is like any other movie version of a series (e.g., Escaflowne, 0083: Afterglow of Zeon, etc.). Narratively--plot-wise and character-wise--it's a complete mess. I watched it in my teens, drunk on anime and very familiar with the Macross franchise, and I couldn't make heads or tails of much of the story. But it's a chance for the animators to flex. The animation and action sequences are stunning and that's what I think people mainly remember/appreciate it for.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Well-Known Member

Interesting perspective that I tend to disagree partially with, but that probably explains our different responses. I love SDFM but find it drags out unnecessarily. DYRL is the right pace and adds character elements that enhance over SDFM. It takes away the awesomeness of M&M but otherwise it’s my favorite of all the Macross series. I normally agree with your assessment of most movie versions however.

8. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

I think the reason someone like you can appreciate DYRL is that you have enough knowledge from SDFM to fill in the blanks as far as the story and the characters. Also, it functions as great eye-candy to get us to buy more toys.

Even though I'm a Macross fan, things happen in DYRL that make no sense and are never explained--the sudden appearance of the Meltrans and their war with the Zentrans, Max getting bigger and losing his glasses and defecting, the gibberish about Protoculture when Misa/Hikaru land on Earth, and all the relationships that we're supposed to care about but are never actually developed (e.g., when Fokker died in the series, it was moving to me because we got to see more of him as a person and not just a drunk flyboy; when Roy died in the movie, I didn't really feel much of anything). The film is like an artist's portfolio--a collection of highlights with no narrative tissue holding it together. Or...a comic book full of nothing but splash pages.

My favorite anime movies based on series aren't frantic recaps/retellings, but are great stories in and of themselves in which the characters get fleshed out more (I'm thinking of stuff like the Patlabor movies, the Cowboy Bebop movie, and Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society).

TL; DR: I guess we have different tastes.

9. FireSkyJet

Some of that may be true. I wouldn’t entirely disagree, and I enjoy some of the other stuff you cited a lot as well. I’m a “creative” (as the term goes these days ) and understand a good story beyond just liking it and not knowing why I do. Like you said, we just have different tastes on this one.

Good art can be polarizing at times. Whenever I create art, my goal isn’t to get everyone to like it but to simply get them to talk passionately about it. Here we are passionately talking about Macross. :D 

I’d love to see a poll on Macross, Mods! “I have spoken.”

10. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

Heh. I first saw DYRL as a Robotech fan when I was little. In the US we got a heavily censored version called “Clash of the Bionoids.”

my brother and I still make jokes about the dub.

the full 2h version was much better, and I saw it before the AnimEigo release of the original SDFM series (I still have my copy from the crowdfund!). For all the crap people give Robotech, the story of Macross in it was intact enough that nothing in DYRL was confusing to me.

but an anime movie that tries to condense 20+ episodes into 2 hours or less is going to be a bit rough no matter how you cut it. That’s one of the reasons I like the Macross Frontier movies so much - shrinking 500ish minutes of series into two movies totaling around 250 minutes runtime meant they could cut out excess plot and filler stuff but keep the main characters and story fully realized.

• Like Like x 1
  11. borgified

borgified Nanoprobes anyone?

News Credits:
    @FireSkyJet: Sent you another PM on the other link. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    As of late last night my 1S finally shipped from NY!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yamato made a 1/60 VF-17D and 1/60 VF-17S years back. Not sure if you'd like them but they're usually $200+ on the secondary market these days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FireSkyJet

Congrats dude. Mine departed customs and making their way. I hope I get at least one of them by tomorrow.

On another note, Robotech.com has posted a bunch of old school Matchbox styled releases for sale like the Battlepod and 6-in SDF-1 (1/6300 Takatoku equivalent).

Also the VF-1S which seems to be an outrageous price unless this is an original?

Robotech / Store / Classic 80’s Super Veritech

• Like Like x 1
  15. betsuni

Seems that it was an original given this, "Box may exhibit cosmetic damage, but the toy inside will be new." Sold out now so guess we'll never know.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FireSkyJet

I shared with Jenius (MW) who runs Anymoon / Scorched Earth so he might of picked it up. He was missing that one for review.

• Like Like x 1
  17. betsuni

Awesome. Hope they picked it up since they share lots of photos and videos.

• Like Like x 1
  18. borgified

borgified Nanoprobes anyone?

News Credits:
    @theosteve: If your interested, there's a 1/60 VF-17s on Manda for grabs.

Here's the rough translation of the condition:"Open / package damage large / indirect part is easy to break". Maybe look at the pics before you decide.

Mandarake

19. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

thanks for the heads up. I’d prefer a 17d—I don’t prefer the 17s Frankenstein’s monster head—but since the cheapest Yamato 17d I’ve found is $300 , I may be willing to settle for this. I’ve never heard of Mandarake before you and Slave IV, so I’ll snoop around it and see how it works.

20. FireSkyJet

Works amazing. They are awesome.