The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Aww that is too bad that they are expensive (and the legs falling off).

Wow, so that price is pretty close to MSRP. I'm guessing they have it available since it is the 20th in Japan. Somewhat tempting me since I do like mech design and its head isn't completely ugly.

2. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

I had to look up what the VF-11 looked like as I'm more of a fan of the VF-1's and VF-25 messiahs (fighter and battroid design-wise) and happened to come upon the SV-37. That's a nice VF-1 update. Is it based on the F22 raptor much like the VF-1 was based on the F-14? I'd like to see a multi laser cannon head on it (not a fan of 1A inspired single laser cannon heads). I'd like to see the SV-37 made into a toy since I don't think there has been one, is there?

3. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

7C2F31DD-67BE-44A9-A4F3-9AECC1BF2845.jpeg

Now just waiting for my Stealth 1J. Seems like it’s hanging in customs so hopefully Mon or Tues.

I was really impressed with AmiAmi. In fact, the box for the YF-19 was better than described. I only paid like $50 over MSRP I think.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    SV-37 is fan-made. Did you see it on a Macross RPG page?

The VF-1 is from the same design lineage as the VF-11, said to be the "true" successor to the VF-1 since it lends itself well to operation both within the atmosphere and other space(whereas the VF-4 before it was optimized for space and the VF-5000 was optimized for atmospheric operation, not both).

5. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    How much more enablement do you need now since you have the DX YF-19 Full Set, Arcadia valk stand and the upcoming 1/48 Yammie Stealth 1J with the corresponding SSP @FireSkyJet? :p 

I have another 1/48 Yammie grail to be delivered sometime next week and the rest of you will have to find out (except for two members here that know what I got already) what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

It is? I guess I should have explored the website itself. :oops:  Saw the image pop up when I googled the VF-11.

7. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yep it's a fan design based on an unused concept by Kawamori

8. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

Haha! Loving it.

Can’t wait to see the grail. Should I consider the Stealth 1J a grail? (Guess I’m still a noob haha.) :noob 

My Chunky DYRL is my only grail from that era.

9. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    I never considered collecting the 1/48 Yammies until I got the VF-1s Hikaru (SSP followed afterwards), Low Vis 1a, Milia's 1J with the Super Set, Stealth VF-1J with the SSP pack.

For now, the Stealth VF-1J with the SSP Set is a grail for me personally as I never expected to get it at all.

I paid 26k yen for the YF-19 Full Set from Manda two weeks after the official release date. Did you get yours for roughly the same price as well?

• Like Like x 1
  10. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

Sweet. I’m looking at the Stealth as a grail too.

I paid 28k on AmiAmi. So, not too shabby these days.

11. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

I love my 1/48th VF-1J Stealth so much I actually paid an appreciable chunk of change to get the strike cannon from someone else with one so I could equip it with both and have it look right. Only 1/48th, actually only Yamato VF-1 at all, I've kept after selling off most of my bigger-than-Hi-Metal-R stuff over the last few months.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

@borgified @betsuni yeah Macross Zero takes place a couple years before the original show (though it came out 20 years later). The prototype VF-0 in the show is about 25% larger than the VF-1 from SDFM. In battroid mode the toy is about 5cm taller, in jet mode about 6cm longer - it's basically the same size as one of the Yamato 1/48 Valkyries.

retail price on the regular releases was 35k-ish yen. The PF VF-0S (Roy Fokker's ride) was just over 40k. Price on the 0D was shown a while back to be just under 40k, but that was before the latest pictures that seem to hint at PF + weathering effects. So it could be a little higher.

The PF 0S is still for sale through HLJ for 47k yen if you want one - and has been at least since I started posted in this thread a couple months back - seems like there is a limit as to what Macross fans are willing to pay (at least, all at once).

Also, from what I understand the Arcadia VF-0 releases are a crapshoot in terms of quality, except for the PF VF-0S, which a lot of people say is just about the best Valkyrie you can get (and at that price it better be!).

Wouldn't mind one as a centerpiece, but if I actually was sitting on $500 to spend on figures I'd rather spend it on 2-3 nice ones instead of 1 really really nice one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FireSkyJet

FireSkyJet Deculture!

Yeah, I keep thinking about that same 0S listing but made a decision awhile back to stick with 1/48 and DX, and it keeps me from snagging it (along with price point). Though I believe I’ve seen @Slave IV swear it’s the best next to Chunkies.

• Like Like x 1
  14. betsuni

News Credits:
    Woo. Yeah that is a beautiful mech and toy. Interesting that it is still available today. Now I'll have to check on it from time to time just because you showed it to me. You know, to window shop.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

@betsuni

After my first HMR I decided to buy a couple different types of figures to see what I liked. I spent more than I initially wanted (but it was all paypal money, so I didn't break my "no real money, if real money pay it back double from paypal" rule), but having gotten a few different figures in hand, I settled on what I thought was "reasonable" for one of these figures. ("reasonable" being relative for everyone).

So, for me, nearly $500 after shipping for a single figure is just never going to happen. I know for sure if I spent the money on it I'd be underwhelmed in a severe way (have had similar experiences with TF 3P figures that cost half that). If I really wanted a bigger Valkyrie, I would probably be perfectly happy with something like this TV Max 1A for 16k or the Angel Birds 1A for 18k, instead of spending 3x on the 0S or trying to play the Bandai DX 1/48 preorder game. I am actually keeping an eye on Mandarake listings to see what happens with the older 1/48 prices and stock levels as more of the Bandai DX stuff comes out - if you watch for stuff on their site you can occasionally find a deal where a figure is close to (or less than) original retail price.

For context, a couple days ago I won an auction on ebay for a brand new Arcadia VF-1J Max for $177. With some bucks I had from work purchases it only cost me $150. I really like the Arcadia/Yamato VF-1 mold, it's a lot of fun, but I just can't see how the VF-0 would be 3x as fun. :) 

(I initially didn't want to be bothered by figures with extra parts, but with the HMRs I have, I just left all the little pieces in the trays and found they don't bother me as much as I thought they would.)

I have been selling off a lot of figures recently so my displays are all disorganized, but when I get some more stuff out I'll share some pics of what I wound up with.

obligatory:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Reported issues:
    • VF-0A Shin: Legs that fall off; cracked wrist hinges
    • VF-0D Shin: Legs that fall off but not as frequently as on the VF-0A Shin version; cracked wrist hinges
    • VF-0S Roy: cracked wrist hinges
    With the VF-0A/D Shin versions, you'll know out of the box if your copy has the hips that fall off. It has to do with 1 piece being molded a few millimeters too big, so physically the leg can barely stay attached to the body at the hip.

The cracked wrist hinges IIRC, haven't been reported out of the box. Those that had them, noticed that they developed after a while. How that happens is anyone's guess. I suspect that minuscule cracks develop during assembly when the pins are fired into the wrist hinges. After a while, the cracks grow. This may explain why the issue is sporadic, unpredictable and not widespread yet.

FWIW I paid close to $260 after shipping for my 1/60 VF-17S and I think that was the last time I ever did something like that for a Macross toy.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chuckdawg1999

chuckdawg1999 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain I have the Yamato VF-0S and 0A MISB OR MIB in my closet. I bought them but never got around to opening them, now I won't since they'll probably fall apart

• Like Like x 2
  18. betsuni

News Credits:
    @deruberhanyok Hahahaha. I have been stalking that TV Max VF-1A for a bit now. Just have not pulled the trigger on it. Every time I decide to purchase it I find something else to spend my money on. By the time I do decide to buy it I'm sure it'll be gone.

@Shin Densetsu Yikes that sucks with the issues. Think I'd be seriously ticked off if I spent that much money and it broke. Heck, the old Yamato VF-11B breaking made me not want to touch any Yamato after that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

All this good talk of the 1/48 Yamato glory days and new Arcadia advancements. :) 

My holy trinity grail 3 from Yamato 1/48

[​IMG]

And speaking of the greatest Valks ever made...

[​IMG]

And one more for the 0S

[​IMG]

I love armored Valks!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  20. Face

Face Well-Known Member

I managed to nab a Yamato 1/60 Milia wedding dress/flight suit set today for an absolute steal, I opened them up and the figures were a bit greasy and would come apart at the joints. The box was still sealed, tape and clear wrapper so they weren't tampered with... so, did I get a knock off?

For the price I paid, I couldn't care less either way, I washed and rinsed them and the grease came off nicely, and they stay together fine for display, just curious if the set ever got KO'd