The Love Boat (1977)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Scaleface, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm more of a Supertrain fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUERtAe73NI

Not because it was good, of course, but because it was such a disastrous flop that it very nearly destroyed NBC. Everything about it is captivatingly awful, even by 1970s standards.

Oh, you guys are just scratching the surface: https://thetommywestphall.wordpress.com/the-master-list/

2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The episode I watched last night had the voice of Rodimus Prime, Dick Gautier. He played a sexist guy who was engaged and pissed off his girlfriend by treating her badly. The episode also has Paul Williams as a nerdy guy who needed to be married within the week to inherit millions, and the female lead from the 1960s Love Bug movie as a house wife impersonating a movie star.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I've only watched a few episodes of this show, but I found it to be fairly enjoyable. It had a lot of scenic locations, a lot of guest actors, and enough variable characters/stories to be interesting.

But really, the best and most memorable thing about this show was its romantic and catchy theme song.

4. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fun episodes last couple nights. The guest stars were fast and furious... I am in season 2. The S2 pilot had Gomez Addams as a hermit living in an island... Falling for Mrs. Roper. The crew did a MAJOR Gilligan's Island impersonation. They also had Isaic dating Lola Filona, and Martin from Laugh In as the 2nd in command of the ship.

Later episode had the oldest son from Eight is enough on a honeymoon with the female lead from Jaws 3D. Sonny Bono was trying to fake an injury to collect a lawsuit from the cruise line, but ended up falling in love with Dr. Xenobia from I Was a Teenage Sex Mutant. Bosley from Charlie's Angels was dating 3 women different widows who were on a cruise together, but they didn't know they were all dating the same man. Col. Decker from the A-Team is the father of Laura from Little House, and Julie's parents are Mr. Roper from Three's Company and the landlady from Laverne & Shirley, who were getting a divorse.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  5. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was quite surprised by a guest star the other day. Ethel Merman played Gopher's mother. I checked her filmography, and it seems this was her LAST appearance in a movie or TV show before she died. So that last time she shang a short duet of "Your the Tops" with Gopher in the talent show in that episode, that's her last performance! Pretty powerful.

Also, in that episode the man dating Gopher's mother is none other than the great Gene Rayburn, who besides being a game show host, is a former professional singer.

6. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just watched a Batman episode the other day with her in it as Lola Lasagne. I can't believe her last acting gig was on TLB. And Gene Rayburn?! Who doesn't love "The Mach Game?" I wish I had more time to watch old shows.

7. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had heard of that Batman episode, but never seen it.

Also, I was wrong about this being her last episode... seems she returned to playing Gopher's mother for 2 more episode of season 5! Gotta find those now! According to the cast list her last episode also had Cab Calloway, Carol Channing and Della Reese! So lots of talent in that episode!

8. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got to a season 4 episode episode 27 where they had to guests on who didn't seem to do much besides, show up, have one scene, and leave. They were not anyone famous either... so I looked it up and it ends up they were winners of a contest to make a cameo on the show! Now it makes sense.

I found this old newspaper article on it.

Weekly World News

9. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm in season 5 now and they started going on cruises to other locations now. Places like Australia and the Panama Canal. I remember them going places like this when I was a kid, but what I never realized back then is they are not on the same boat. The normal boat for the series in the Pacific Princess, but when they went to Australia they were on the Sea Princess. At the Panama Canal they were on the Island Princess. So the 5 members of the crew (plus Vicki) just up and move to a new boat together every once in a while? Weird. I wonder if the other members of the crew rotate too, or just these guys, because while Doc, the Captain and Julie the cruise director are unique positions, Isaac and Gohper are just a bartender and assistant purser. There are supposedly OTHER many bartenders and assistant pursers on the boat.