The LEGO Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Boy who screams, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    May pick up the Seinfeld set eventually, but seeing as I still haven't built my Friends apartment set (and have no place to put it currently), I'm going to need to hold off on adding another LEGO box to the corner.

2. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I like it, but I also realized that these vignette sets don’t mean enough to me to sacrifice the space. Sold of TBBT and passed on Friends and will pass on this.

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Idle thought: I'll grant, I've never been big on the superheroes themes. Picked up a couple Batman sets after Lego Batman Movie came out, but that's about it. But I do on occasion enjoy me some Spider-Man, and after watching a couple playthroughs of the PS4 game, I went looking to see what was available in the Lego department - what I found sort of makes me scratch my head. Spidey seems to be a character Lego...kinda doesn't know what to do with a lot of the time. There have been a few pretty sweet sets over the years (I think the recent Daily Bugle is amazing even if I'm not going to buy it, and Homecoming had a couple really nice looking sets), but a lot of the time he seems to either just guest-star in other series' sets, or get a bunch of weird mechs and vehicles. I get that he's no Batman or Iron Man with tons of vehicles and gimmicks and such, but dang - granted also I'm no comics guy, so if any of the weird stuff did show up in the comics it's web on my face. Pretty sure he never had a monster truck van though!

I don't really know where I was going with this, except perhaps that I might be more into the supers themes if they had more location-based sets instead of relying so heavily on vehicles and gimmicks.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I really only bought the set for Mando and Grogu. It was the cheapest set to get him and the bike makes it more worthwhile. I’m also happy to have another Sand-person, so there’s that.
    And well the sling shot thing is ... whatever, I built it but it’ll probably get disassembled for parts at some point.

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  6. tfcrafter

tfcrafter Customizer and LEGO MOCer

News Credits:
    That piece has been around a while (first popped up in a CMF series in 2013). They've since put out various mixed bald/hair styles, which I find interesting because figures that are actually supposed to be bald (like Mace Windu) are still depicted with a bare head piece.

7. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the Stuntz theme!! Mini figures are exciting, colours are popping, yes we’ll take all of them please

8. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have built the Creator Pirate Ship I got a while ago.
    Gave it a custom crew and left the Skull motif off of the sail as I plan on it being a merchant ship.
    20210705_171342.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel the same way. It’s a cool looking set and I appreciate the attention to detail but I know I would grow bored of looking at it on a shelf after a couple of days.

LEGO seems clueless when it comes to the Super Hero theme. I stopped collecting Marvel years ago. Even the new 66 Batmobile has no Robin? Why? It’s like the one time people want Robin in a set lol.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Dr Fingelblender

Ebay:
    20210707_122129.jpg 20210707_122751.jpg Rebuilt all my Imperial Soldier stuff.
    Missing/substituted a few bits here and there, particularly on the El Dorado Fortress (sporting the Rock Island Refuge base) but I've sourced replacements for the most part.

• Like Like x 15
  13. Dr Fingelblender

Ebay:
    Also tacked an extra large jungle plate onto my Enchanted Island setup 20210707_133620.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Superheroes are in a bit of an awkward spot for adult collectors because there tends to be a lot of useless "chaff" with them. Very few heroes rely heavily on cars and planes and stuff that are the bread and butter of Lego's business model, so they have to keep making up weird clunky vehicles that are kid friendly, but just take up space and blow up parts counts for collectors. Most are associated with locales more than "things", but conversely, good diorama sets don't tend to very kid-friendly, in terms of budget.

As for the missing '66 Robin, I kinda feel like they might be saving him for another set. Maybe with the Bat-Copter or something.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm definitely all in on the Seinfeld set. Was a huge fan of the show back in the day. Looks fantastic! Really hope we get a Monk's Diner set as a followup.

So you're saying you're not the master of your domain? :D  Sorry, lame Seinfeld reference.

Switching gears, I modded the construction crane vehicle that came with the City line Town Square (set 60026) from a few years back (2013). I just remember owning and loving one of these things when I was a kid way back when, and it being one of my favorite Lego vehicles.

20210707_130428_copy_1008x756.jpg 20210707_130406_copy_1008x756.jpg

I tiled over the top of the crane to cover as many studs as I could and added way more pieces to the back crane portion to include the control cab that the stock vehicle was missing.

I also offset the crane boom to the side by one stud (to allow room for said control cab) so it looks more like Constructicon Hook from G1 Transformers. Finally added some minor details like steps and grip bars to the sides of both cabs, storage bins to the back of the main cab (which hold traffic cones), and a place in the front to secure the hook when not in use.

This thing just gives me warm and fuzzies, and really takes me back to when I was a kid.

EDIT: I found out the original 1986 set that I had when I was younger (set 6361 Mobile Crane). What a throwback!

6361-1.jpg
    6361-1.png

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  16. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Creator Castle out on shelves here in Korea TRU
    20210707_202849.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  17. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  18. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Lego provided an update on the Bricklink Designer Program debacle from last week.
    LEGO Gives Update on BrickLink Designer Program - The Brick Fan

Key points:
    - They accidentally took 10,000 preorders of Castle in the Forest.
    - They will bump up the other 4 sets to 10,000 maximum to match. So for example you might have another shot at the Fishing Boat, History of Flight, or Safe.
    - Preorders for those 4 will open again on August 3. No more for Castle in the Forest though since that one set the new "max limit."
    - Future rounds will be delayed.
    - Going forward preorders are LIMIT 1.
    - They are cracking down on eBay resellers.

So it's good they are listening and trying to improve. Too bad the Castle won't be available again, seems like a LOT of people still missed out, even with double the original limit in play.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    These are some good improvements. It's rare that a company talks honestly about what happened. And you know what, I can wait for my sets in June; by then, I'll have forgotten about them and they're be a surprise birthday gift to myself, haha.

• Like Like x 4
  20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Haha, of course the Castle is the one I wanted. Oh well. At least I don't have to try and scramble for a preorder now, it's just the one that got away.

• Like Like x 2