The LEGO Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Boy who screams, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is also partially why Lego tends to "colour code" their parts, with all the weird and zany colour choices that go into the innards of the set where you won't see them. It's fairly uncommon that they'll give you the same part in multiple colours within the same bag. When they do, it'll usually be something easily discernable, like white vs. black.

Although maybe if you're R/G colourblind, then Lego's new tendency to denote port and starboard with the appropriate red and green parts on the interiors of some larger vehicle sets (seen this on the Batwing and Ecto-1 so far) might trip them up. But again, completely hidden on the final build, so not a big deal.

For me, I think the hardest colours to discern in their printing process is dark brown vs. dark blue. Again, you usually wind up sussing that out because there's no actual parts overlap, but both colours end up so dark on the printed page that they look almost black, with the black outlines muddying up that distinction even further.

2. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    In my experience, I get light and dark tan mixed up sometimes as well as dark grey and black. I’ll be hunting for the wrong one and eventually realize they’re showing me the other.

also, saw rumors (seemingly legit) of a creator expert titanic coming this year as well as a creator expert space shuttle Columbia (maybe as early as April!). The titanic doesn’t really excite me but a UCS shuttle...heck yeah! Speculation based on price and the type of boosters used with that particular ship (white central tank rather than classic orange) is it will just be the shuttle, but who knows.

3. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    CE559899-8A1E-43F9-9E74-12C4E204796F.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  4. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Oh man, a Shuttle would be so awesome!!!! I already have the last one they built with the boosters and tank, but an accurate one would be beautiful next to the Saturn V.

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Why they keep going back and forth every couple of years is the most maddening thing. You have to think "is this instruction book from a year where dark grey with black lines actually means black, or not?" You never know.

White outlines for black pieces works amazingly well. Why they keep changing it I can't figure out. Just, stick with it, so we can "get used to what shade means what" for the various greys and black bits.

6. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    742FFC45-E961-4059-BFEB-27709E2C1C29.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  7. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    I've been collecting legos for a solid decade by now and I don't recall ever seeing lego instructions use dark gray with black outline to represent black pieces. I've only ever seen black with white outlines for black. How often to they change it back and forth? I could just be misremembering, but I feel like black having white outlines for clarity was something I've always appreciated about lego instructions from the start

8. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The rumours sound pretty reliable, but both are really surprising to me. Titanic AND Columbia??? Considering how famously Lego tries to avoid any kind of controversy or upsetting material, I'm baffled that they would suddenly decide to release not one but two vessels that were both involved in fatal disasters. Surely there are other cruise ships -- and there are definitely other space shuttles! -- that didn't end their journeys with tragic accidents.

Titanic I could maybe understand, because the vessel is so iconic, and it was long enough ago that it's no longer in living memory. But Columbia seems especially questionable considering how recently it happened. Including any minifigure crew would seem in such bad taste that it would be out of the question.

I dunno, it sounds like they're both probably true, and will probably both be awesome sets... but I wonder why they wouldn't make a different shuttle instead?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I don't think they've ever gone back and forth on that. I've always seen black with white outlines. But dark navy and dark brown need the same treatment, is what I'm saying, because the printed version of those colours is so dark as to be practically black.

10. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    I kinda disagree, because if dark navy, dark brown, and black all have the white outlines, they would be virtually indistinguishable from each other. At least with the way it is now, you know if it has white outlines that it's black, and if it doesn't that it's either blue or brown, and those two are more easily distinguishable from each other than they are from black

11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Fair enough. But they need to find a way to do something for Dark Navy and Dark Brown to make them more readable on the page, because trying to landmark on those colours is incredibly difficult. Maybe there's some wiggle room to lighten up the colours, at least.

12. Fleebnork

Fleebnork Well-Known Member

For those having difficulty with colors in the printed instructions: Download the LEGO Life app and scan the QR code on your instructions (or just look up the instructions on the LEGO website). The darker colors are easier to differentiate on a screen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really like the instructions app a must have for every fan! and yes I often find it difficult to tell what colour bricks are too from the instructions

14. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    While on the topic of "hard to see colors" in instructions, the Elf Club House was the first set I've had where the pages were black instead of white and I did NOT like that at all. It was really hard to see and distinguish darker colors against the dark background. I don't know if all the newer sets with the black/adult-themed packaging are printed this way, I really hope not.

15. betsuni

News Credits:
    The bonsai instructions were on black, so maybe they are?

16. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Ugh.

17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I can see why they chose Columbia as it was the first one launched.

18. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    LEGO February 2021 Store Calendar Promotions & Events

Feb 1-14: Free LEGO Seasonal Year of the Ox (40417) with purchases of $85 or more, while supplies last.

Feb 1-14: Free Chocolate Box & Flower Set (30411) with purchases of $40 or more, while supplies last.

Feb 15-21: Free LEGO Ninjago Lloyd’s Quad Bike (30539) with Ninjago purchases of $40 or more in-stores only, while supplies last.

• Like Like x 1
  19. betsuni

News Credits:
    Man, I'm bummed I forgot and by the time I went back they must have sold out of the helicopter GWP. Oh well, I can just wait for a different one another month.

20. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    I finished bag 13 of 26 of Ninjago City Gardens tonight.
    Towards the end of my LEGO collecting, I got into the habit of only doing a bag or two a day to help stretch things out and appreciate the build more. Now, my attention span for LEGO sets extends to a bag or two, and then I'm like, "Yep. Time to do something else."
    Feels weird.

• Like Like x 2