The LEGO Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Boy who screams, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    What are you on about? Looking at past X-Wings and Ties, these versions look to have equal amounts of studs compared to those. Unless you just have a problem with studs in general, in which case, mate. It's lego. There's going to be studs. Not everything can be covered in tiles and made absolutely smooth.

Though I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time. I've been on the internet long enough to know not to feed the trolls.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime You shall not pass!

News Credits:
    Here's the thing. This is going to sound weird.

The reason why the studs look bad to me is because of the studs on the bigger sets. On the larger sets, the studs all over the wings give it a sense of scale and supremacy. Like, there's too much space to be covered. Most kids nowadays know how big a stud is, and to see that many studs indicates a massive scale.

The new ones, though, look funky because the amount of studs is tiny.

Told you this would sound weird.

3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I get what your saying. You don’t really notice the stubs all over the AT-AT because of how massive it is. It looks lioe it belongs there. But when it’s super small, they stand out more.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Both the X-Wing and TIE look categorically inferior to the previous ones, and it's not the appearance of more studs. Both have less accurate builds, less appealing visuals, proportional issues, and there's not a single thing they actually do that the previous ones didn't do earlier, and better.

5. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

be less expensive, and thus more targeted at the actual demographic LEGO sells to?

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    That's all well and good, but it doesn't change what I said.

Not like the previous X-Wing and TIE weren't also targeted towards Lego's demographics.

7. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime You shall not pass!

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's a better way to explain it. Thanks.

8. Raiju

Raiju Yub Nub, y'all! Yub Nub!! Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno, I think the new X-Wing has a better, more simplified push button mechanism to operate the opening and closing of the S-foils. MandRProductions showed off the interior block of technic parts and it's quite impressive how it works.

Granted that it's not perfect since there is some front and back wiggle/play with the wings when closed, but I think it's a more elegant solution than the rubber bands and geared lever switch of the previous, larger X-Wing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I finally picked up the new land speeder from Walmart today, been wanting this for a while.

20201130_011555_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For $5, this set was a pleasant surprise. Definitely need to get the 2021 mechs when they drop.
    20201130_152132.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  11. Raiju

News Credits:
    Comparison video of the 2018 X-Wing vs. the 2021 version.

• Like Like x 4
  12. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    Well they are nearly half the price of their big brother sets. There's going to be cut backs somewhere to make these more affordable. Even besides the price, I might argue that the new mechanism they've used for the S foils on the X wing is better than past techniques. The movement is more screen accurate, it's smooth, and it's activated with a simple button press rather than a lever or gear to turn

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    They say this series is smaller than a normal minifigure set. Just 12 instead of 16.
    upload_2020-11-30_18-40-53.png

• Like Like x 5
  14. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

for $5? where'd you get it for $5?
    I finally caved and got Thanos (at full price, $10) because I'm definitely getting the Captain America Mech as soon as it's out, and Thanos is the only villain mech so far to fight.

15. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There was a Target in my area that had one of those random sales a few days ago. I couldn't resist :lol  If you're looking for villain mechs, I believe Venom has one, but it's in a set with a silly Spider-jet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Can’t get enough of that Sugar Crisp

News Credits:
  17. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

At least the first wave of 2021 sets includes a Mando in his shiny silver Beskar armor in a fairly affordable speederbike set, which gives me something to add to this build.
    I've been sitting on the Razor Crest I got for my birthday back in September and after binging the last two episodes of Mando, decided to get right to it!

20201130_182332.jpg

In its Second Episode Accurate form, you can appreciate the snap rod and girder structural design. I worked until I reached Bag #5, and was keeping a good pace before quitting for the night. Once I got to the outer hull, I managed to speed things up by handling both sides of the ship at once.

20201130_221855.jpg

The decals were surprisingly easier than I've experienced in a while.
    Although, I've seen older kits with tampo stamped markings, including an Early generation Slave-1 with Han's face printed onto a block of Carbonite, but at least I was able to apply them to the ship, and the two bricks in Mando Junior's snack freezer.

20201130_214803.jpg

I did however have one instance of a missing part early on, and found a spare part from the Mandalorian Mini-Figure box set by stripping down that "accessory" in the form of wedges and two stud bricks to create a pile of rubble. And accidentally (temporarily) misplacing another small piece, led me to cannibalize an old AT-ST, set #7657, my father left at my place a long, long time ago to make up for it.

20201130_221931.jpg

I took advantage of the situation and tacked a few more grill pieces on the outset of the forward guns.
    *After doing so, I found my misplaced piece and put it in place, and then swapped a few of my added grill parts around to balance the color distribution.

One other major improvement I made was for Brick-Mando's pulse rifle. I don't like how it is supposed to be constructed using the snub pistol. Without a stock it looks like it wants to be like a comically over compensating hand gun.

20201130_185217.jpg

Fortunately, the included IG-Nanny Droid comes with a typical long rifle that is there just to hang from his back. I modified it simply by cutting the barrel off and clipping down the forked rod on the tip.

IG Nanny won't be needing it anyway...

20201130_184715.jpg

I'll finish this tomorrow. In the meantime, in spite of recent SPOILERS!!! I will still only regard the Child by his legal name.. Mando Junior!

20201130_171556.jpg

This is the way.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  18. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I definitely like the 2018 X-wing better

• Like Like x 5
  19. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    several gems in there! Love the beekeeper, violinist, and I’m a sucker for space police. What is the one in the bottom left? Can’t quite tell.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Raiju

News Credits:
    I do too but the 2021 version has its own merits. I'm interested to see how the Technic block for the new interior S-foils mechanism is built and works myself. I do like how seemingly compact and accurate it is as far as the cross-shaped scissoring action is for how the wings move, vs. the old 2018 geared lever and rubber bands design.

I plan to pick up both the new X-Wing and TIE Fighter to display and mess with on my office desk at work, given how smaller than they are than their previous counterparts. The new exclusive minifigs are a plus too.

• Like Like x 1