The LEGO Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Boy who screams, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The point is that these iconic and fan-favourite vehicles are available in some form to all comers. Newly forged Star Wars fans shouldn't be left entirely out of the lurch and unable to buy a version of their favourite ship, just because "it was already done 5 years ago". Doesn't mean that you, personally, have to buy all of the versions just because they keep coming out with them.

In personal score news, I've been starting to see most of the Lego Movie 2 stuff on clearance at Wal-Mart. Was sorta eyeballing the Party Bus set just because it looked fun, and once I was done with it, the unique trans-purple UCS Slave 1 canopy and other assorted parts might be neat to have around for MOC purposes. $80 CDN for a 1000-piece set is pretty good value, but ultimately I managed to talk myself out of it. Well, today I made the trip out to TRU hunting for Speed Champions stuff (doesn't seem like anybody local has put out the Lambo set yet, and still no luck), and then I notice the last Party Bus on the shelf, marked down to $50. Boom, done deal.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tfcrafter

tfcrafter Customizer and LEGO MOCer

News Credits:
    It's definitely a fault of Disney's by trying to capitalize on nostalgia. With no new movies coming out, hopefully we'll get less of the legacy ships in merchandise.

I don't buy all the versions, my issue is the potential sets that could take up those price slots. Such as the AT-AP I mentioned, is it really popular enough to warrant a re-release so soon after the last one? They didn't even change much with it. The price slot could've been taken up by something else. The last Homing Spider Droid came just a few years after the one before it and didn't change much. If Lego wants to do remakes, at least change up the design. And it's not like some sets were "done 5 years ago," they were done maybe 2-3 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  3. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

ELEZUHxXsAASsTd.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Didn't SW Lego basically save Lego, at one point?

• Like Like x 3
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel that notion's somewhat apocryphal at this point. The statement's thrown around a lot, but I think it's up for debate as to how much that specific brand literally saved Lego. It's part-and-parcel with some internal "soul-searching" that Lego was forced to go through around that time, rather than the one true saviour.

7. tfcrafter

News Credits:
    Lego was trying to do too much at one time, they had many lines like Galidor, ZNAP, and Scala that were really not selling. Bionicle was an instant hit and was one of the reasons Lego bounced back (in its first year of sales it made over £100 million).

8. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Part of a complete breakfast

News Credits:
    ZNAP? Oh man, that brought back some memories. The TRUs near me at the time couldn’t give those things away even after they were slashed down to deep discount prices. It took almost a year before they finally left the shelves, IIRC.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    In a way it saved Lego by almost killing it. SW was an expensive license, and Lego was seeing less in-house brands doing well due to or in spite of its success. To put it short, their profits were merger despite their high sales, and it was the proven strength of Lego as an action/fantasy toyline under the SW banner that brought about Bionicle, which pulled Lego firmly back from the threat of bankruptcy to which it has never even come close to since.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Scarlet knight

I like the OG and Prequel sets i couldn't care less for sequel stuff

• Like Like x 3
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I mean, that's nice but it's not really a proper response to his reaction, which was about your deduction that Lego should drop SW and simply ride the success of Marvel and DC. (which even combined are nowhere near as huge and profitable as Lego Star Wars) Frankly, it's absurd to think Lego would let go of such a massive money-maker with a built-in fanbase that has practically become an institution itself and rely solely on their comic book properties.

• Like Like x 7
  12. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

It did. The bionicle folks will disagree I’m sure. But the grass is long overgrown on bionicles grave by now. I see Star Wars lasting an easy 10 more years for LEGO. It’s also currently the highest grossing product for LEGO, so I highly doubt they would even remotely consider letting it go.

• Like Like x 4
  13. tfcrafter

News Credits:
    It's also quite obvious that Lego does put more effort into the Star Wars sets and recognizes that they are more popular. With the exception of the big team-up Marvel movies, we only get 1-3 sets for each MCU movie, rather than multiple waves for each new Star Wars movie. Same goes for DC (we didn't get sets for Shazam, Aquaman, and I don't think there's anything coming out for Wonder Woman 84). I'd actually love more MCU sets but it seems it's not in Lego's budget.

Also, more details for the upcoming BARC Speeder set, it will include an AT-RT. Feels like we just got one last year. Oh wait, we did.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I mean, I don’t disagree. SW was a huge boon to Lego’s growth as a brand and as a toy, it just inadvertently caused financial danger to them because Lego had, at that point, a not-great deal with Lucasfilm that left them receiving pitiful profits compared to how much they were selling. (Something they have never let happen again, of course) Bionicle saved them from immediate danger and gave them an in-house action brand to profit off of, but Star Wars has kept Lego afloat for much longer than Bionicle did. Not to mention that without the proven success of Star Wars Lego would’ve never had the confidence to create their own action brand of similar scope. It was the rich universe of Star Wars, where people bought the sets as much for the characters and stories they represented as they did the builds, that was the impetus for Bionicle’s conceptualization.

In fact, when you look at the timeline and factors at play, one could say that Star Wars not only indirectly saved Lego from their near-bankruptcy in 2000, but provided them with a roadmap to success later used by not only Bionicle, but Ninjago and other Lego brands.

Hopefully it’s a smaller scaled one, like the ones I’ve seen online that match minifig scale. (I even ended up making a couple)

• Like Like x 5
  15. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

Perhaps this version of Anakin's Jedi Interceptor will be the "updated" version of the green one, which was previously a Target exclusive years ago

• Like Like x 1
  16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There isn’t as much for LEGO to pull from for Superheroes. With the exception of Batman, most of them don’t have cars, ships, hideouts etc. It’s why Batman has been the focus since he has multiple vehicles and iconic locations and even then it gets repeated every couple of years.

Marvel gets Hulkbusters and Quinjets. I do think some awesome sets could get made but Disney seems to control what LEGO does with the license much more than DC. It’s like they mandate crappy helicopter and random Spidey vehicle sets.

Maybe with X-Men and Fantastic 4 movie rights returning to Disney we can get some cool sets. Xaviers mansion could be great. Maybe have it come with a Big Fig Juggernaut to trash the place. UCS Hell Cycle would be super cool, but I guess they’d have to just call it Ghost Rider’s bike lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Raiju

Raiju Kaiju Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stopped by the LEGO store at Narita Airport recently and saw that they were selling the Tokyo Skyline Architecture set that comes included with a Japan exclusive sakura cherry blossom tree mini build.

20200209_133446_copy_756x1008.jpg

Naturally, I couldn't resist. I plan to display the Tokyo Skyline next to the New York City Skyline (my hometown) on my bookshelf at home and keep the chibi sakura tree on my desk at work (cherry blossom season is right around the corner too).

20200219_170413_copy_1008x756.jpg

The Narita Lego store also had an impressive brick built mural recreation of the real life screen painting that depicts the Japanese Wind God (Fujin) and Thunder God (Raijin) just outside of its wall (made by an expert Japanese Lego master builder). Thought it was neat.

20200209_154948_copy_1008x756.jpg 20200209_155057_copy_756x1008.jpg 20200209_155107_copy_756x1008.jpg 20200209_155120_copy_756x1008.jpg

And a random life size minifigure airline pilot.

20200209_155232_copy_756x1008.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  18. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    FF and x-men could bring a bunch of vehicles. x-jet, mansion, a better sentinel, fantasticar...speaking of ghost rider i'd love a new rider with the hell charger. just improve on the speed champions charger design to make it happen

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scarlet knight

And make it 8 wide

20. betsuni

betsuni Well-Known Member

Those are great photos! Thanks for sharing them.

I love the Sakura tree build. Wish they had that offer here in the US, but I understand why they don't.

• Like Like x 1