The LEGO Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Boy who screams, Apr 20, 2008.

1. tfcrafter

tfcrafter Customizer and LEGO MOCer

News Credits:
    Oh if they just put in a light brick in the kitchen that would be amazing!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aurora Borealis! At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your LEGO set?

• Like Like x 6
  3. Raiju

Raiju Yub Nub, y'all! Yub Nub!! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I made a thing. A gantry platform for my weaponized Space Exo Suit. Used a bunch of spare parts. Having too much fun being a AFOL (I believe that's the correct term). :D 

FB_IMG_1534471340177.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  4. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Lego hasn't put out anything I've really enjoyed at all in a long time but I like revisiting some of the classics, in my terms anyways
    0816181917.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I like hodgepodge of space themed figs in the back

• Like Like x 1
  6. Raiju

Raiju Yub Nub, y'all! Yub Nub!! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Haha, yeah. My computer/toy desk is a bit of a mess at the moment but in the best possible way while I build stuff. Aside from the Cop/Bobby and Jewel Thief, some mercs/soldiers (I made some Lego Wolf Brigade guys from the Japanese series The Red Spectacles), and Speed Champions, I'm going pretty hard into the space stuff with Star Wars and the Lego City/Ideas Space themed sets.

The two Space Miners will be part of my space stuff involving the Heavy Driller Mining set (delivery just arrived for it) and the Space Marines/Galaxy Patrol (and their mech) assigned to protect the mining colony. Also have some custom Lego Alien Xenomorphs ready. You can see where I'm going with this. :lol 

Now I have it in my head to build or just otherwise buy a big custom Alien Queen.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really kick myself for falling out of Lego a few years ago when all these awesome SW sets came out. I missed out on some great updates and reversions of previous releases. And of course now that I'm back into Lego, I find there's little that really interests me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I hate to be a Gee-something-er, certainly not Geewun because that was way before my interest in Lego. But I can't help but find that the recent sets are just too detailed in terms of minifigs and builds, to the point where I'd rather just buy regular action figures. I miss the slightly (but not too) blocky charm of the 2000's and earlier.

9. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    It feels like the recent sets are extremely flashy. Half the build goes into exterior detail, rather then the main build itself. It feels more “premium”, like a collectors item rather then the toys they were when we were kids.

10. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That’s why I like to buy Ninjago and Nexo Knights and other LEGO only theme that tend to be more focused on fun rather than accuracy to a license

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I just find the subject matter incredibly dull. The new SW movies really don't have any vehicles or concepts that I find dynamic or versatile in the slightest. (oh boy, I know I'm sure excited to build two all-grey train cars!) I like accuracy and detail plenty, but if it's in service to something bland or uninteresting, it's not worth my time. I hardly fault Lego for that, but I do wish there was just more for me to sink my teeth into without having to go back four or five years to find something that strikes my fancy. I don't really care about another block-coloured square ship or made-up speeder to pack in with some minifigs.

Like the AT-AP Avalanche posted. I don't even like that vehicle design all that much, but at least it's interesting. It's a big three-legged walker with two huge-ass guns and a mounted turret. It's very toy-like, but also very fun.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    I agree with you there, the new movies are extremely uncreative when it comes to new designs. Everything just looks like a knock off of the original, and all of the new alien species are practically human anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    It's like, I look at Han Solo' speeder, and it's just an all-blue square with seats. I look at the other speeder, and it's an all-grey square with a seat. Then I look at the two sets I just bought, the republic tank and Jedi Starfighter, and the tank is this multi-coloured machine with like a horseshoe shape but it has a flat, angular shape and bigass guns on the side whilst still looking very much like a tank, and the starfighter is like an arrow and it's patterned with yellow markings laid with bricks and looks super sleek.

It's like, for as much as people rag on the prequels, they had really good designs in them that made for really good Lego sets.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Thats because while people rag on the prequels for the cgi and story for being different, they tend to ignore the one thing Lucas did right, which was worldbuilding, including the designs of the things in that world.

15. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Well-Known Member

Point taken. But let’s not give all credit for the design work to the director here. He kinda just collected the design work from a room set up full of concept art. The artists and set designers along with the cad team deserve most of the credit for world building in the context you are referring.

In terms of directing that artwork into his story, sure full credit is given. But, for the prequels, the works that were submitted to be woven into the cohesive world was a product of several gifted hands.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    9B5DDACA-12EF-458E-B3C7-5E7E3BFD1120.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Admiral Prime

Admiral Prime Broken Faucet Repairman

News Credits:
    This year's Ninjago dragons really are masterpieces.

I got Stormbringer initially for the parts, but the design was so good I still have built above my modular buildings.

• Like Like x 1
  18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I actually kind of prefer the Solo designs to the prequel stuff. PT had some cool designs, but I remember at the time thinking they were trying too hard. I kind of feel like the Solo stuff derives from A New Hope era designs. My favorite would be Rebels designs. I think they have the best balance. I'm excited to see what new Clone Wars sets are coming and Resistance too.

19. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Impossible!
    While I'm sure it's just an issue at your store, I'll be going to Walmart tomorrow. I'll need to keep an eye out just in case...

Also, here's my alternate model of the Creator Space Shuttle. I wanted to keep the same look of the official truck model, but make it bigger. And have the back open. It also uses all the pieces except for the Shuttle Wings and the larger Technic bits, so that's a plus.
    IMG_4411.JPG IMG_4412.JPG
    I don't know if I'll bother building the Base. I feel like this is the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 4
  20. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    That's VERY cool. Possible with just one set? I'm so tempted to get 2x extras of this one to have a bunch of space options. Love the astronaut city stuff!

• Like Like x 1