The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IGotTheTouch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    4 swords aniv is not a full zelda game. It was just a bonus feature added to the gba release of lttp. Play link to the past and link between worlds and come back and say if 2d is worst then 3d because I'm sure your opinion will change. Also I always imagined the voice for king of red lions to be Robin Williams ( no I'm not saying that because he just died. He was always the voice in my head because I knew he was a zelda fan years ago.)

Also favorite songs. Dark word in lttp. Song of storms and gerudo valley in ocarina. Malo mart in twilight princess. Song of healing in majoras mask. Dragon roost island in wind waker. Song of the goddess in skyward swords. Also the Fairy fountain/ file select.

2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

For me, favorite Zelda music is...

Fi's Theme (and variations)
    The Dark World Theme (All versions)
    The Song of the Hero (Singing Dragons!)
    Ballad of the Goddess
    Lorule Castle

All off the top of my head.

3. IGotTheTouch

IGotTheTouch Full of Awesomeness

News Credits:
    Alright then, I will.

4. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Is Link Between Worlds really "3D" though (like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were)? It looks more like it switches between two different 2D rather than actual 3D.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Link between worlds is a 2d game that is made with 3d graphics. Some call it 2.5d. It has stereoscopic 3d effect. To sum up the game it is link to the past with modern graphic almost like new super mario bros series.

6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

The original is my favorite game of all time (and Zelda is my favorite game series of all time). Yes, I know where everything is and I can blow through the game pretty damn quick but I never get any less enjoyment out of it no matter how many times I play it.

Meh, still up in the air with the cel-shading. That Wii U demo from a while ago seemed the better direction but with all things, I'll have to see more before I can make any kind of informed decision.

Zelda's in dire need of voice acting, along with the rest of Nintendo's big IPs. I suppose Metroid's already gone that route but Zelda and Mario need much more than the gibberish a character mumbles accompanied by text boxes. To hear Link and Zelda and other characters actually having conversations would be amazing. Looking back on games link Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Twilight and Skyward Sword, hearing all of those different characters speaking would just make the game even better.

7. EMP Starscream

EMP Starscream Arbiter of TFW2K5

News Credits:
    All of this Zelda talk is making me want to plug my Wii in again.

8. transtrekkie

I sadly do not have any game after Majora's Mask. What are the best ones to get and on what systems (Wii, Gamecube, 3Ds, etc...)?

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Get a Wii U. You then have access to Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD.

10. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I think A Link Between Worlds might be the best Zelda since Wind Waker, really fresh.

And Skyward Sword. Though I suggest buying the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess if you have a Wii/Gamecube.

If you have enough time it would go Wind Waker HD (just better than the original in every way), followed by A Link Between Worlds, Followed by Twilight Princess GC, Followed Minnish Cap (this can be played using either the GBA or the Wii U virtual console), followed by Skyward Sword.

11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Now I feel like playing A Link Between Worlds again. My last run was a no upgrades (except for the unavoidable Master Sword) run. On normal mode.

Maybe it's about time I do the Hero Mode equivalent?

12. IGotTheTouch

IGotTheTouch Full of Awesomeness

News Credits:
  13. transtrekkie

As I understand it, it's a little convoluted. I did see a thing on Gametrailers that explained that there are actually three different Zelda timelines, all stemming off of the end of Ocarina of Time. As I understand it, one timeline starts with A Link to the Past, then Ocarina of Time in which Link dies. That leads to the first game and Zelda II and Link's Awakening. Then there's the one where it's implied that he dies at the end of OoT and that leads to Majora's Mask (which heavily implies that the game's story is Link dealing with his death), the third timeline stems from Link deafeting Ganon at the end of OoT which then leads to the other titles like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, etc... I think the video is on youtube if you look up gametrailers Zelda timeline, it should be there.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It feels like Nintendo started making a timeline at ocarina. The link dies timeline to me is we have all of these older games and need to put them somewhere in the timeline. Let's say link dies to cop out. I think Nintendo needs to make a game that takes place between ocarina and link to the past to fill in the gaps a bit more. I also feel like it would be the best game to have Zelda be the playable character and focuses on her to try and find the other sages to prison ganon into the sacred realm/ to be dark world.

15. transtrekkie

Yeah but right now, it's the only way it could fit with any other games. Unless the first two games are going to be considered they're own separate thing unrelated to any of the other games. Not unlike G1 vs. like, say RID.

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I think it would have been better if Nintendo said that link to the past through zelda 2 is its own timeline because it was made to be that way.

17. The Barracuda

Wow; coming from a huge Zelda fan you've missed out on a lot of great games. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, plus the handheld console games like the three GB games, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds. There are so many great Zelda games that continued on from the 3D the N64 started with Ocarina and the handhelds carry on the 2D tradition.

I'd suggest Twilight on the Gamecube so you can use the traditional controls but it's expensive to track down. I've played both and I don't see much difference besides the fact the Wii version is a mirror image to make Link right-handed for the Wii remote function.

Wind Waker is also expensive on the GC but you might enjoy the upgraded Wii U HD version. It looks gorgeous and there are a few subtle changes from the original. I'm always about getting your hands on the original rather than any remake but it's all about how much you want to spend and what console you actually have to play it.

I really enjoyed going back to A Link to the Past. I found it fresh but a little easy. But Nintendo did a great job combining a retro sensibility with some new ideas that go against the grain.

They got pretty creative trying to tie everything together but they tried way too hard for something that didn't need to be connected. Some games weren't meant to be related in any way. They're like mini-reboots with some direct sequels. I do like how the hero in Twilight is suggested to be Link from Ocarina if he failed in his task.

18. transtrekkie

It's funny you say that because I've always kind of thought of each game as a reimagining of the original anyway, just with better graphics and more involved story. The concept of trying to tie them together into a single narrative didn't even come to me until... well actually, a few months ago when I watched that gametrailers thing.

Yeah and I used to be one of those that was always right there preordering the latest and greatest the second it came out. Majora's Mask was the last one I did that with because consoles had priced me out of that practice by the later generations. I have a lot of catch up to... play? Sorry, couldn't resist.

19. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Bah... The Zelda timeline is nothing...

Go to the SMT timeline! That will break your brain!

20. The Barracuda

A lot of the games are but there are some direct sequels that take place in that same bubble universe. Adventure of Link is a direct sequel to the original Zelda (and Link's Awakening on the GB takes place in between or after both, I can't remember). Majora's Mask takes place after Ocarina and Phantom Hourglass takes place after Wind Waker with Spirit Tracks taking place about a century(?) after. Tying them all together wasn't necessary for most of us but Nintendo gave it an honest try.

I'll let that one slide! And I feel the pain about not being able to afford the latest and greatest and then trying to play catch-up (damnit, I did it too...) after one or two console generations. No matter how you play them, I suggest tracking a few down and playing the ever-living shit out of them.