The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IGotTheTouch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Way to go Six! :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Thank you! Now I need to get past the Giant Frozen Fidget Spinner of Death.

3. Venixion

News Credits:

:confused:  ??? I'm trying to remember any ice bosses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Looks like the embargo is over and Link's awakening reviews are up. Overall looks good, with some framerate drops noted.

Kotaku had the game finished in 8 hours, which is a little disappointing to me. But maybe I'm just spoiled with recent games that you can play for 100+ hours.

5. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

It's an obstacle, not a boss. Sorry for the confusion!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I'll just play LA dx on my 2DS again instead. I don't see myself getting a switch any time soon. It would be the regular switch though, not the lite. I did re-complete my LoZ Amiibo collection by grabbing the new Link this morning though.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Venixion

News Credits:
    I looked up two videos to check out the slowdown on Link's Awakening Switch and I didn't see a single damn thing. Not a bit of slowdown, stutter, flicker, lag, or freeze. Nada. 60 fpsers are a bunch of frickin whiners. :crazy: 

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bought the game yesterday...sorry, but the slowdown/framerate issue is definitely a thing. At least on my Switch in handheld mode.

I’m sure they’ll release an update for it eventually, BOTW had the same problem with the Lost Woods, which got patched and is now running smooth as butter. :) 

Game itself is just as great as it was back on Game Boy so far tho, no regrets! :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  9. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Got link’s awakening today. Pretty good so far, the game boy version was my first Zelda experience so I have a lot of memories tied to the game. The art looks good and I’m quite enjoying it.

Really wish the movement was better though. You only move in a grid. It’s up, down, left, right, and diagonal. There’s no in between. It feels very constricted.

I’m not sure why you’d dismiss or downplay these claims, they certainly exist. I’ve been playing it all evening and there’s a ton of slowdown. All the characters move in slow motion at random times. It’s especially distracting in the towns and overworld.

It doesn’t ruin the game experience, but it’s not fun when it happens.

10. Venixion

News Credits:
    I repeat that I watched 2 different youtube vids explaining in detail and with little moving charts how "bad" it was. And didn't notice anything. I even used the bar to go back to what they were talking about. It looked fine.

Later, I watched a different person go through the Tail Cave. No lagging from the time they left Toronbo Shores to the moment they picked up the first instrument. All in record time. No lagging, no slowdown, no stuttering that I could see.

I could agree with you people if it was noticeable and agree more IF it actually affected gameplay detrimentally. But I saw 3 different people moving about the game without any obvious issues.

It could also simply be that the perceived lag is just the normal speed that Link and other character models is programmed to move and Awakening vets definitely feel the difference.

Its like how Kirby moves at a good pace in Adventure, but moves like molasses in Dreamland 3 for example. No actual lag, just moves slower for some weird reason.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Venixion, with all due respect: you haven’t played the game yourself, correct? Not sure what youtube videos you’ve watched and whether or not it’s visible, but here are two people who’ve actually played the game and you can’t accept that or something? I’m pretty sure I know what I’ve experienced, but ok. :-/

It’s not intentionally slow movement*, it’s literal frame drops and slowdowns that’s the (mild) issue. Game’s far from unplayable, but it happens more than enough to be annoying.

(*characters do move more slow than I remember on the Game Boy, but that definitely seems intentional...maybe to slightly stretch out the length of the game? :)  )

Good game is good game, and despite loving the new look, I think the Game Boy versions hold up very well!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    slowdown is real...and annoying. been playing it all day today.

game is still highly playable and enjoyable but it does suck that this couldnt get locked at 60 since it does run at 60 pretty well most of the time.

the first time you fall in a pit cause the slowdown hit and it didnt register your button press you'll see that its more than just a minor visual annoyance.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if he's watching 30 FPS videos.. If he is.. may not see the slowdown.

14. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Picked up the game and the promotional pin set at Target today. I've got a business trip coming up and will probably save it for on-plane entertainment.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking the same, though mines for family visit.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I watched the DF video on the game and the framerate issues were obvious, especially when it cratered in the swamp area. No really sure how you can miss it unless you've not got an eye for performance at all.

I see it was outsourced to a developer that was previously only doing 3DS games, so maybe they got in a bit over their head and EPD couldn't quite sort it all out before it had to ship.

17. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Yeah, it’s the guys that did the 3DS Ocarina/Majora’s Masks remakes, right? The problem seems to be purely with loading in new stuff into memory, so I have faith this will eventually get solved in a clever way (and then I’ll have to play it again ;)  )

Flying back home from Japan tomorrow, perfect game to spend a couple hours on... :)  :) 

18. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Is there any download required/available when first starting? Like how some games have day 1 patches?

19. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Any one played the BOTW DLC with new dungeon and missions? Is it any good?

20. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    The Champions quest thing? Yes its pretty good. The new dungeon was cool.

• Like Like x 1