The Legend Of Zelda Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IGotTheTouch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Well, the first two could happen. The second two obviously won't.

My favorite shots (so far)
    Screenshot_20190611-154110.png
    Screenshot_20190611-154405.png

2. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Don't know why getting rid of weapon durability "obviously" won't happen. It's one of the most controversial aspects of the game. Replacing it with an upgrade/repair system (they literally already have blueprints in either Skyward Sword's shields and BotW's armor) seems like a pretty obvious solution, or get better weapons through exploration, challenges, and/or story progression like pretty much every other game in the series.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I don't know if they need to get rid of breakable weapons, but maybe so they don't break so easily.

• Like Like x 2
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Agreed. Nintendo experiments and learns from the results. It's not like they're going to to weapons exactly the same way again just because they did it that way last time. What matters is what Nintendo was trying to accomplish by making all the weapons breakable. Nintendo has wanted to encourage players to try using a greater variety of weapons for a long time, and they've tried different mechanics to encourage that starting in Wind Waker. The method tried in BotW was a little heavy-handed, so it will be no surprise if they try something else, or at least adjust the durability system. I wouldn't mind starting with flimsy weapons and then getting more durable stuff later. By then, the player will have learned to use a variety of weapon types from the breakable versions and might be more inclined to switch between them instead of just using the sword constantly.

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Because it's a core mechanic of the game. The weapons break but there are more all over the place, which rewards you for exploring the huge open world. Conversely, the world is so huge because there are more consumable items like weapons and food to scatter around it. This is not a 100% new game, it's going to use largely the same assets as BotW, so they can't do away with one of the core mechanics without drastically altering the way the game is played.

• Like Like x 2
  6. flamepanther

Majora's Mask used largely the same assets as Ocarina of Time. Drastically altering the way the game is played isn't entirely out of the question.

7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

These are two, wonderfully creepy shots.

Made somewhat less creepy by Mario's face in the corner.
    "It'sa me!"

• Like Like x 3
  8. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    The real question is will it come out before the switch gets replaced? I kid...sort of.

At any rate, I may have to get a switch now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3 words:

Make. Zelda. Playable!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    The breakable weapons are fine. The game gives you so many weapons that there’s no way you should ever be short of them.

What I would like is more of an actual story, more variety in the monsters and weapons, and more traditional dungeons. And also some old school caves to explore.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

My only wish for breakable weapons is that there are ways to repair them. Just sayin’.

12. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Couldnt be happier about the BotW sequel news. Goddamnit that’s awesome.

13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So glad that we’re getting a sequel to BOTW. I wasn’t ready for the story to be done. I just hope we get a bit more story this time. I hope we get to see more interaction between Link and the rest of the cast.

I swear, I’m torn on whether they should have him talk or not, but if they do.... Will Friedle is always my goto for young hero types. :D 

This is easily the most anticipated game for the Switch in my book now.

14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Nintendo let me climb on the monsters

15. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

Being able to go Shadow of the Colossus on a Hinox would be cool.

They only sort of let you do that with the Stone Talus enemies.

16. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

And not having weapons break left, right and center is a staple of most of the series. Nor is Link being forced to slow down and gasp for breath like a chain smoking asmathic every ten steps running. Why they chose to bring back a divisive mechanic from one of the worst Zelda games of all time is beyond me.

17. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I guess they thought skyward Sword had some stuff worth saving? Seriously, fuck that game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    You need to have some kind of limit on climbing. Otherwise I think the game balance will be really messed up, and everyone would just climb everywhere instead of exploring to find ways to get to where you want to go. I'm OK with eliminating the stamina function for running, or at least making it last longer.

19. flamepanther

Yeah, the irritating functions don't need to go away... they just need to become less irritating. If they can go away without breaking the game, that's fine too.

20. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I got used to the breakable weapons pretty quickly. It was annoying when I first started playing but soon I got to a point where I had a full menu of good weapons and was leaving perfectly good weapons on the ground because I didn’t need them.

As for the stamina wheel, I got used to that quickly as well. Between stamina upgrades and edibles I never felt especially irritated. I do actually appreciate having limits because it makes me think more carefully about which routes I’m taking and the best ways to get from one place to another. If I could just climb and run endlessly then I wouldn’t have as much enjoyment of exploration and I wouldn’t have as much drive to hop on a horse, a deer, a bear.

I get the complaints though, we all enjoy different aspects of these games. I know many are into battle tactics and learning different attack methods and sword strikes where I just straight up hamblast every enemy the same way because mastering the different moves isn’t interesting to me.

Also, yes, hopefully there will be more dungeon crawling, caves and a wider variety of enemies in this one. The ability to swim under water would be lovely as well.

• Like Like x 1