The last Transformer you remember buying before "Growing Up"...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unpunk, Jan 15, 2017.

1. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I have a very specific memory of a classmate in 8th grade laughing at me for talking about toys(1988), and it was the end of that era of childhood for me. Nintendo was already making inroads with most of my other friends, and next year I'd find interest in skateboarding, music and girls. The point is, that feeling of "growing up" (whatever that means) and abandoning everything you knew was very isolating and I think the figures I initially responded to were the early 84/85/86 characters. The last Transformer I remember buying was either Pointblank, or Snapdragon. I remember finding all of the Terrorcons at the same time, but not having enough to buy Sinnertwin, and my friend bought him for me. I thought this might be a fun thing to discuss. Doesn't matter what era you came up in. Sorry if the front end was heavy on the heavy with this post. I like reading about other fans introduction to this hobby, so plug away.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Segal27

Segal27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Prime Hot Shot I think, I believe he is the first one I ever bought with my own money so maybe I was already grown up at that point.

3. privatespoon

privatespoon Well-Known Member

G1 Skullcruncher. I still have him but he's heavily discoloured.

4. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Haha that's what little brothers are for! I basically supervised my brother's purchasing habits for a good 3-4 yrs so I could be "cool" but still feed my toy fix ... I prolly woulda continued on that path but Beast Machines was like grandma potn

5. anindrew

anindrew Writing a #vss365 superhero(?) novel on Twitter

When I was young, I bought Micromaster Roughstuff and felt very let down by it. That ended my interest in new Transformer toys until 2007 or so which I consider the start of my collecting as an adult.

6. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    The last time I received transformers as a gift from my family was christmas 2003. The first wave of Armada.
    My parents are kinda old school and don't really believe in buying toys for someone over age 18. And my sister doesn't know/care about my hobby enough to shop for it.
    Since I didn't get a job until I was 20 (small town in texas, nothing hiring, so I left) I couldn't really afford any tfs through the rest of armada (no big loss) or energon. As such my last "childish" tf purchase was Energon Megatron with some birthday cash.

It wasn't until the tail end of the 2007 movie line that I would get back into transformers, with some disposable income to throw around. Since then I've backtracked into some of the stuff I missed (still skipping most of Armada, I'm an articulation junkie and those bricks do nothing for me)

And here I am now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I think my last TFs bought at retail as a child were Pretender Jazz, and then Action Master Soundwave, Jazz, and Rad.

And a few years later my brother gave me G2 Megatron for Christmas!! What was that...1992? 93?

After that things went dark in the TF world. I saw Beast Wars in the toy aisles but they weren't real TFs to me. More like some other toyline that just happened to have the TF branding slapped on it.

I think my next TF was....the SCF Collection figures from Japan, in 2001?? Did I really not get a single new TF toy for a decade? That seems impossible to believe now!

• Like Like x 2
  8. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

My mom bought me G1 Mindwipe, Hard Head and Chrome Dome.

9. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    My last TFs as a kid... Action Master Bumblebee & Grimlock. All their legs broke.

Never got into G2, guess I grew up.

Next time there's a new Transformer toy in the house, it was my youngest brother's Rattrap.

10. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Our school allowed us to bring toys into class on the last day of term. I remember buying Pretender Starscream specifically in time to take it to school. As it was the final year of primary school, all my friends were "growing up" and not taking childish things like TFs, so I backed out of taking it to school (I forget what I actually took). I later saw G2 Optimus Prime (the G1 redeco) in my local Argos and thought it looked wrong with a black trailer. Then, when I later started working in that same shop, I saw Beast Wars Fuzors in the stockroom and was kinda glad I hadn't carried on with the toys - Fuzors looked all kinds of wrong.

11. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    never growing up

• Like Like x 6
  12. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Action Master Shockwave.

But it wasn't growing up. The next year, Hasbro EU started the original Classics line, toys i wasn't interested in owning again, and G.I.Joe was more interesting to me by then.

13. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i had maybe ten transformers as a kid and it wasn't that big of a part of my childhood. 90% of my collecting has been with my own money, i started when i was 14 and have kept going till now (19)

14. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:
    RID Galvatron would have been my last purchase. I remember that I actually purchased the Sideways and Axor two pack but one of them came broken, so I returned it and put the money towards Galvatron. I didn't really want him that much but I didn't really want to wait for Walmart to get something new.

I was 12-ish and girls soon took my attention away from toys.

15. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Broadside with some sprinkles of headmasters without their bodies. I think.

Although, it was more like a trade or I won a bet. I was nine or ten when I stopped asking for toys. I was more interested with video games. Girls started coming in around 11 or 12.

So from 88' or 89' till about 05', dark times for toy collecting.

16. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right after I got G2 Hero Prime and Megs I stopped collecting for jr high/high school and part of college. Not because of those toys, but just aged out (in my mind).

17. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got various tfs from 1987, Hun Grrr, Blot, Rippersnapper, Battletrap, TM pointblack, TM Scourge, Goldbug w/decoy. Those were my final tfs as a kid.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Throttlebot Searchlight.

Don't remember getting any more Transformers until G2 came out and I got Jazz, Snarl & Slag since I had never had the G1 versions.

19. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    "Growing up" is a phrase that varies from person to person. Some of us will always be Toys R Us kids. :p 

But if you mean last TFs I bought that I actually played with before the displaying and collecting phase, that would be Action Master Prowl, Starscream, and Wheeljack. Grandma bought them for me on clearance at a KB Toys while on a family vacation.

20. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Armada Hot Shot. Thought the toy was meh compared to previous toy lines. I was only 9 or 10. My interest at the time primarily went into Starwars and Video games.