The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rusty24, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The reasons for which have been discussed to death and Joel fucking dies anyway if you don't interfere with the operation, no?

No, the person who started this was Abby's father. I mean, even if a cure could have been made...what good would it have been? No production facilities exist to even produce this supposed cure. Look at what's happening with the pandemic going on right now, with a fully functional healthcare system working around the clock to find a cure for what is effectively a mutation of the SARS pathogen. What the actual fuck were the Fireflies going to do with a cure they couldn't actually make or distribute, assuming that removing Ellie's brain would have accomplished anything anyway?

The funny part is that Abby should be fucking dead long before Ellie even gets there. Crucifixion is basically extreme suffocation - you would not survive beyond 24 hours from the sheer weight of your own body crushing your lungs given the position her arms were in.

She has the same character arc as Prime Airachnid as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 5
  2. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. She doesn't apologize for what Joel did. But she did say Joel's reason for starting all that: Elie. Elie mentions the reason Joel did was he did was due to her. Pretty much pointing out that the person, the source of her rampage was all based on a decision revolved around Elie.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

...I throughly enjoyed The Last of US Part II as Ellie and Abby are caught up in a tidal wave of revenge that was started by Joel. So no I won't say Abby or Ellie are the Greater Evil in the direction their characters take but they are the direct result of Joel's "choice"

• Like Like x 2
  4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    You are correct she did say that and that was to save Dina’s life too.

5. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don’t know why anyone is surprised that Ellie is upset with Joel throughout the game. Ellie never would’ve supported Joel’s decision in the first game, and I thought they made that very clear in Part I and II. It’s not just Ellie being a “b*tch”, she’s completely justified.

It’s a unique situation for us, because we feel terrible for Joel when Ellie snaps at him after Seth, but I also completely understand why Ellie would snap at him. I think Neil and the team did a great job with that.

Also, please stop calling women b*tches for having emotions, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    What if they're a bitch tho.

One of my favorite defenses of this objectively terrible game is in regards to Abby: I've seen people get really angry that her design is being mocked for being frankly ridiculous, unrealistic and absurd looking. The defenders treat the issue as if Abby is a real person and insulting how she looks is mean and 'body shaming' or something, they seem to fail to realize everything in TLOU2 was made by a team of people and that it isn't real.

Her design is also easily the lesser of her problems as a 'character'.

The lengths people will go to defend bad content, I swear. The moment you resort to "you're just hating this game because you hate __" or some variation of the Ad Hominem fallacy you're proving you have no rational argument.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why do you have such a problem with people enjoying something? This game is a masterpiece in my eyes and I’ve never played anything like it. If you don’t feel the same then that’s fine. I won’t understand it, but I’ll accept it. It’s subjective.

Also, calling women b*tches for having emotions is rude, so don’t do it. Regardless of whether they deserve to be called out or not, just be nice :) 

8. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    I'm not sure anyone is surprised at that. The first game already demonstrated how Elie showed signs of doubt when she questioned Joel regarding what happened at the end of the game. I know I sure thought "uuff. Wait until this elephant in the room comes to light".

• Like Like x 2
  9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    What's funny is that people largely are going after Abby's body design because of how it is biologically impossible for such a body to be attained for a woman. In order to get anything resembling that kind of physical profile, you need access to a full time gym, health supplements, and most damningly for TLOU2 an entire team of health professionals to help maintain that body given that is professional athlete grade musculature. And real life female bodybuilders such as the one straight up used for Abby's base 3D model aren't as jacked as Abby.

For a game that stresses realism, it's a very prominent disconnect from one of the game's supposed aspects of being 'super-realistic' in terms of humanity after the complete collapse of civilization several years prior, and just another example of how the game outright forgets that the modern world effectively ceased to exist a few decades prior.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Becky Abby[​IMG]
    versus the Stacy Noi.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Inb4 REEE ANIME because Japanese animation sets certain people off rather easily.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a Japanese movie reviewer on YT, I wish I could share. He has a great break down of why the story doesn't work. In the end, he speculates Druckman tried to tear it down because he couldn't find anything to surpass the original.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don’t understand how you guys can legitimately think he’d try to tear it down?? What does he get out of that? It’s his creation. Neil, Troy and Ashley all participated in shaping the story, and nobody loves the characters more than they do.

14. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I'm guessing you don't know the phrase "Cutting off the nose to spite the face".

Look at it this way - how much input did Neil Druckman really have on the end product of the original The Last of Us?

Neil Druckman comes off as a completely pretentious asshole ("we don't like using the word fun to describe our video games" from the studio that originally created Crash Bandicoot), between the way he has not been handling the fallout of the plot of the leaks well, the stories of employee mistreatment at Naughty Dog, and that goddamn collector card of himself in the game, and what better way to get revenge on people he may not have liked being praised for their work on TLOU, then by staging a gratuitous death scene for a well-loved character that goes beyond what any sane person would do?

And then replace said character with one that is purely of his own creation who mirrors said character but is supposedly "better"?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well I’m sorry to hear that you completely missed the point :) 

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Let me ask those defending the game a question: What exactly was the point of the sex scene other than to fulfill Neil Druckman's fantasies?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I will take note of the fact you do not actually try to counter my argument by using any kind of evidence whatsoever, instead simply saying that I "missed the point" simply because the game's massive flaws stick out more to me than anything that could be called good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    That I do not know. That’s one thing the game didn’t need. But then again why does any piece of media need sex scenes? In the end it’s nothing to call a flaw it’s just strange. Like I won’t deduct points in the game for the random 10 second awkward sex scene.

For narrative it shows that Owen and Abby still have feelings for each other. But if I made the scene it would have Abby and Owen make out and then make a cut to Abby sleeping next to Owen which would then lead into her nightmare of the scar kids dying.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    25BB36DC-B06C-45C9-A286-380640F95811.jpeg
    64FC39F0-5E40-4453-AAF5-AE6655D533E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  20. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    Sex, in practically what ever form, sells. People may dislike the concept, but it doesn't change that it has that effect.