The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rusty24, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

There's nothing stopping people who played it to have an actual discussion.

Implying there's anything to actually discuss.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Go ahead. No one is trying to stop you from discussing it. Opposing opinions are not illegal.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Relax we're just having fun until ghost of tsushima releases in a few weeks no one is getting hurt

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rodimus Prime

Well...

Except for Ellie... and Joel... and Jess... and the dogs...

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don’t have a problem with opposing opinions, which is why I’m open to discussion. I do have a problem with the “meme” going around with the Geralt looking dude punching a trans kid, and everyone finding it hilarious. I just think it’s a little suspicious that everyone finds that bit so entertaining.

I just also think it’s silly since I know that people in this thread haven’t played the game, and are still hating on it for some reason? I just don’t get why these people are here in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodimus Prime

Most people don't even know that the character is trans. It's just so over the top people found it hilarious. The term for it is "narm", where something that should be serious is so poorly done it becomes laughable. It originated from Six Feet Under, where the main character has a stroke and tries to say his arm is numb, but it just comes out as "narm."

As for having played it, the problem with story driven games is the actual game play is very much of secondary importance. If you hate the story, you don't even have MP this time. The only things left are the pretty graphics and hilariously broken game.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I didnt know they were trans either way its still funny because a big fat guy came out of nowhere and knocked them out plus its not real its a game it didnt happened its not that deep, that's like saying no one should laugh and enjoy tom and jerry because animals are hurting each other

• Like Like x 4
  8. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Makes sense there'd be plenty of hauntings in a post-apocalyptic world!

Wouldn't have mattered what gender it was Fat Geralt put his whole back into that throw lmao

• Like Like x 2
  9. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Nameslapped Seeker

News Credits:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Autobot Burnout

On top of that, there's part of the story that undermines the actual 'progressive' angle of including a trans character and makes it come off as the old trope of "girl disguised as boy".

Namely, the story makes it seem more like Lev went trans less because they're actually trans and more as a means to an end of getting out of an arranged marriage.

I mean, after looking Lev up, they look a lot like the girl from The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black who does the whole 'pretends to be a boy' thing.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Aight this thread is useless imma head out 7FC9C774-EE65-4B83-ACD2-63DE7A189516.jpeg

12. Autobot Burnout

lol and at no point was any attempt at "legitimate" discussion even suggested by the guy who wanted it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Huh? Mglaighton120 is one of the few people in this thread that’s actually played the game and spoken pretty even-handed about his appreciations and criticisms of it. He’s been nothing but reasonable in trying to sell the game’s merits to others who have already written it off.

The discussion here is mostly trite and counteractive, as is common for most media discussion on this site. Imma bounce from this thread and look for meaningful discourse elsewhere

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

Then why didn't he bring up something to talk about? Its one thing to want discussion about something, its another to actually start that discussion.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I was just asking people to stay on topic, and stop hating if they haven’t played it. Since you want discussion, have you played the game?

I never said nobody in this thread played the game, all I said was that I know some people haven’t. I’m sure people “love a good KO”, but that’s not the only reason that meme is becoming so popular.

16. Autobot Burnout

You're the one trying to be a backseat mod, asking people to 'stay on topic' while also 'not hating on the game' because apparently criticism of any kind is now 'hate'. As I pointed out earlier, you also are not actually trying to participate in it yourself, all you're doing is asking others to do what you want. You haven't so much as even posed a question ever since taking this stance that other people could 'discuss'. You just rant and rave about how other people in this thread are being negative about the game.

And no, I haven't played the game, my hard-earned $60+ will not be going towards something that at best sounds like a visually good but ultimately lackluster complete package with no real gameplay improvements over the previous game and a story that tries to make you empathize with one of the worst written characters in modern video game history. Unlike TLOU1, there is no multiplayer mode so the longetivity of this game already is in question as well, let alone the replay value since the game largely involves long stretches of nothing but characters talking with each other, and there is no DLC on the horizon.

TLOU2's greatest failure isn't being a wholly bad game, this much is true - its greatest sin is that at the end of 7 years and $100 million in budget, it's pathetically mediocre overall. Visuals do not make up for a storyline that makes a point of taking a beloved character, completely ignoring everything except what they did at the end of the last game, and beating their corpse in front of you to introduce a new character with absolutely none of the redeeming qualities, while reducing the other character into a hypocritical piece of shit in order to try and make the new character look comparable. The setting completely falls apart if you try to apply any kind of logic like "Why did these people send an 8 month pregnant woman into unsafe territory where she might be killed when in reality that mother-to-be shouldn't even be walking around much?" or "Why are they holed up inside a stadium which is an absolutely terrible place to fortify against zombies given the sheer number of entrances that have to be defended at all times?" Its like the game forgets the zombie threat has to be constant as opposed to simply whenever the game feels like zombies need to be around - and the 'too many entrances' thing is a very common trope played upon in conventional zombie films so it isn't exactly a logical question out of left field to ask, given the supposed setting.

The key parts people routinely cite as being good are in fact the things they actually were expecting - the Ellie/Joel flashbacks. Except a few genuine moments of what people wanted and some pretty post-apocalypse urban ruins are not going to make up for a narrative that offers no reward for completing it besides misery (And this is 2020, so trying to escape from that in a video game only to get it shoved in your face? Not exactly a wise idea) and gameplay where the majority of development there seems to simply have been modifying difficulty sliders but otherwise is unchanged from the first + a rope gimmick stolen from Uncharted wholesale.

If you want stealth survival-horror against zombies, there are better games than TLOU2, but that's because people wanted the story. And TLOU2 pretty much throws breadcrumbs of that at the player while having a big ass ugly fruitcake that nobody asked for and nobody wanted take center stage instead.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So you haven’t played the game. Why would I read any of this if you haven’t played it?

18. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Huh. I didn't play the Uncharted series but I enjoyed the series after watching playthroughs for each game. Imagine that.

Lol I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a DLC for TLOU2 about tying loose ends, and you play as Abby to finish off Ellie and Tommy

19. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    For those who actually gave the game a shot and played it, this is what I believe the cast and crew were going for.

If Ellie killed Abby, it wouldn’t have helped Ellie at all. Ending the cycle of violence, and not killing Abby shows growth in Ellie’s character. The shot of Joel on the porch right before she lets Abby go, and later showing the scene is meant to show Ellie’s forgiveness to Abby. The flashback scene with Ellie and Joel where she begins to forgive him relates to why she let Abby go.

If she had killed Abby, Ellie would’ve truly lost herself. Joel obviously wouldn’t have wanted that, because she would just be on the same path that Joel was on before the first game. Ellie might have lost everything she cares about in the end, but she didn’t lose herself, which is why I love the ending. It’s bittersweet.

That’s my analysis of the ending at least.

20. Autobot Burnout

Because it looks like shit to me? I wasn't aware that my opinion somehow doesn't matter unless I waste my money on something I'm sure is shit.

I made that mistake with Age of Extinction. It is not a mistake I would willingly make again.

• Like Like x 2