The Last of Us HBOMAX Series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Red Goblin, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    More at;
    'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just saw this on Instagram, and I’m excited! The Last of Us has to be one of my favorite stories, hope this can be a well-done adaptation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yessss, long format TV works way better than the movie that Sony originally wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Um... cool... I guess... I'm not sure what a series based on The Last of Us could do differently from The Walking Dead.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Tra nsforme rs

Ehh I'm not that excited there's no need to adapt it into a series, I feel it's a better experience in video game format anyway but ill keep up on this still

6. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I’m definitely glad they’re adapting it into a TV series rather than a movie. The campaign is about 14 hours long and the scope spans across the entire United States. You can easily get a season out of the first game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. User_93049

News Credits:
    This is probably aimed at the non-gamers that say "I'm not good at video games" [joke]and maybe the Xbox users[/joke]

8. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Tra nsforme rs

Ahh alright, in that case Im (mostly) glad they're doing this then

9. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Easily my most anticipated TV series. Maybe ever. Can’t wait, and having PlayStation Productions and the original writer involved is a great sign.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because we can't have enough zombie movies and shows...
    How will this be any different fron the Walking Dead?
    I wish more shows tried to reinvent this tired boring genre. The Strain, for example, was a really interesting twist and reinagination of the vampire mythos. Someone should do the same for zombies. Maybe involving voodoo?

11. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Are you kidding me? Look, there are differences here (the clickers etc.). But this is not a story about zombies. It’s a story about the relationship between two people.

• Like Like x 5
  12. User_93049

News Credits:
    The Walking Dead was about survivors too, but this time it'll actually be good

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So like Walking Dead.

14. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    TWD is hilariously inconsistent. Some great parts, some awful parts. Above all though, I think it’s been really hurt by its open ended structure. AMC is incentivized to keep the cash cow going, and thus the show has gone on and on and ground itself into a rut.

This will be a relatively close ended story. To its benefit.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Rusty24

This. The main difference between The Last of Us and The Walking Dead is that The Last of Us has a clear narrative drive. Even without the game’s sequel (which will hopefully be amazing like the first game), the first game’s story stands well on its own. The goal is to take Ellie from one end of the country to the other and potentially put an end to the Clicker epidemic. The episodic bits still serve the narrative by developing the characters and the world while showing how difficult their journey is. The Walking Dead is primarily about surviving in the hopes to build a better future. The main problem the TV show has run into is that AMC just doesn’t know when to quit. We’re either seeing the same things we’ve already seen before or they’re drawing things out too far. Even with the declining ratings, it’s still their most profitable show, and they don’t have a plan other than to draw out the storylines from the comics as long as possible or probably even making some up in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    :lol 
    Right. I just finished my TLOU replay last night and it’s a genuinely good story. The two main characters evolve and grow, and it ends with a tremendously dramatic choice that Joel has to make. I would say that at the start of the story, being so disillusioned, devoid of hope and frankly selfish, he makes a different choice. For sure.

TWD is probably primarily about the relationship between Rick and Shane at the start, given the big secret that divides them. Then it’s probably about the relationship between Rick and Carl. And then at some point (certainly by the appearance of Negan, but probably before) it becomes about nothing at all.

They don’t have to change a whole lot to make TLOU a good show. The biggest challenge will be telling the story when you have to have a minimum of four hours of people boosting each other over walls and Ellie being pushed across water on a wooden pallet :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Oh cool, so we get to see how Joel fucks up the hope for a cure and potentially dooms the human race in tv.

• Like Like x 1
  18. User_93049

News Credits:
  19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rusty24

I don’t even know if I should bother with this show now. I love the first game a lot, but I could not stand the second game. The first season might be good, but then it likely goes off the rails in season 2 anyway. It’s probably not going to be that different from the games either because Neil Druckmann is one of the executive producers of the show. It’s so weird how I went from one of this franchise’s biggest fans who was excited about the sequel to not really wanting anything else from that universe because they killed my interest almost instantly. Again, the first season might be good as a stand-alone, but it all roads lead to the sequel, and that’s not a story I’m keen on experiencing a second time.

• Like Like x 2