The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" -8/10

Mechagodzilla doing the Terminator reveal decades before the T-800
    The film has a stronger human story than the previous entry "Godzilla vs. Megalon", this time featuring our usual collection of scientists and civilians trying to save the world from yet another alien species, the malevolent green knock-off "Planet of the Apes" looking Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens, this time with secret agents helping out our human heroes to make things a bit more fair.
    The monster battle are fun, Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla himself brings in more imagination as Godzilla now has to deal with his own take on Mechani-Kong from "King Kong Escapes", who displays an impressive display or robot and mechanical weapons and functions that put the aforementioned robot ape and Jet Jaguar to shame (in fact, Godzilla's new robot buddy would have been very helpful here).
    The only downer is despite all the hype throughout the film, including his own summoning song in the spirit of the Mothra films, King Caesar himself seemed quickly outclassed and barely in the fight at all, aside from getting some revenge shots in while Godzilla was holding the mechanical monster tight. The fight was mainly Godzilla and Mechagodzilla with Caesar as almost an afterthought.
    King Caesar meant well, and looks cool, but let's face it, he's no Anguirus, who does make a strong showing here trying the solo hero bit before jobbing to our new foe.
    Overall, a strong entry into the Godzilla mythos, and Mechagodzilla isa triumph from the start in a way similar to other franchise big villain King Ghidorah, just Caesar could use another chance.

tumblr_6452883c36d1e2ad954b84e14b9b615a_07128672_540.gif

2. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Terror of Mechagodzilla"/"Mechagodzilla's Counterattack" -9/10

A stronger film than it's predecessor "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla", and make no mistake, it is a direct sequel as despite having new protagonists, we're back to dealing with the nefarious aliens, those simian Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens, and their recovered giant mech, Mechagodzilla.
    The human story is the main thing that's stronger here, which doesn't come as a surprise as the film is directed by franchise creator Ishiro Honda, brining agents from Interpol to the forefront from the start this time as opposed to being surprise saviors half-way through, as well as crusading marine biologist Akira Ichinose, played by Katsuhiko Sasaki.
    Joining up with the Simians are another mad scientist, Dr. Mafune, played by Akihiko Hirata in a more subdued and sympathetic manner as Dr. Who from "King Kong Escapes", and his lovely and devoted daughter Katsura, played by Tomoko Ai, with her own plot twisting secrets. Together, they also bring in the brainwashed aqua dinosaur kaiju Titanosaurus.
    Overall, it's an enjoyable and interesting film as our heroes try to figure out solutions to the menace orchestrated by their space alien foes, and deal with each counter they're dealt with. The monster fights are fun, maybe not as imaginative as the last couple films, but brutal as Mechagodzilla ups his game against Big-G, and Godzilla himself has more than enough boxing jabs to go around.
    A very strong finish for the Showa Era.
    As a heads-up, there is frontal female nudity done 2/3rds through the film. It's very tasteful and fits with the plot, but not all parents are the same, so a fair warning.

MechaGodzilla's_finger_missiles_destroy_a_street.gif

3. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Inside Out 2 - 9/10

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Dune Part 2 - 8/10

Damn good. I definitely liked the changes and I found the ending to be slightly better than the book
    because Baron Harkonen dies by Paul's hand instead of a freakin' two year old ninja or whatever the hell Aila was. This time she's just a commentator from within the womb.

5. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga:
    The wife wanted to see Bad Boys for our first post-wedding movie outing but we couldn't find any openings so we went with the second best available option. As a first time getting into a Mad Max movie, we thought this was incredible. Our lack of knowledge on who gets to live and who gets to die was at its minimum so even for a prequel it was still filled with enough surprises for us.

I cannot express enough how I loved the way this movie was made. Lots of incredible looking shots, lots of moments of silence, the vehicular chases were incredible, and all actors did a fantastic job playing all these weird and sick characters. And that's only in a Mad Max movie with no Mad Max so it makes looking forward to explore the rest pf the series sooner than ever.

9/10

===========

Ultraman: Rising:
    Not the most original idea but still a nice addition to the Ultra mythos in a way the overall franchise doesn't tackle that much. It's not too juvenile and not all fun and silliness as what the earlier impressions were and still managed to tell a heart-filled story.

8/10

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cosmos Kramer

Cosmos Kramer Well-Known Member

Hit Man 7/10

7. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Just finished watching True Romance. Wild fucking movie, but also strangely comforting. All star cast, great score from Zimmer (you could hear early shades of Blade Runner 2049, ridonk dialog, just a damn fun, endearing movie. 8/10

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Inside Out 2 - 8/10
    Not as good as the first, but still solid. New characters are fun.

9. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Toyline Juggler

Scooby-Doo: Shaggy's Showdown

Was curious about this one that I got as part of an eight pack. I watch a lot of Gunsmoke and Rawhide so a western themed movie seemed fun. The titular showdown doesn't really happen in the way you'd imagine, especially with the monster being the ghost of one of Shaggy's ancestors. I was glad that it didn't stay in Shaggy mode and had a pretty cool skull faced look. Probably the first Scooby monster I've seen in a while who I can say looks a bit creepy.

Movie overall is pretty middle of the road. They try to set up mood and do it decently well, there's a good amount of jokes worth a chuckle, and a few but not a lot of good character interactions. I don't like the kid influencer singing but it's a decently small chunk of the movie. They wasted the fact that Shaggy was visiting family. The "unmaskings" are anticlimactic but there's a decent line of clues and a couple red herrings.

But, again, nothing special. Probably wouldn't rewatch it over a bunch of other movies. 5/10

10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Madame Web:
    Venom? Loved it. Morbius? Liked it fine? Madame Web? Holy shit this was truly bad.

Such a mess of a story that's too embarrassed to be a Spider-Man movie and too restricted to be a Slasher movie. Hope Avi Arad is finally happy he got his Madame Web movie after the toy.

3/10

• Like Like x 2
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 暴魂

News Credits:
    I watched the Japanese Dub of the Mario movie and I'm kinda blown away how much more I liked it then the 'global' version: there were some script changes that I think majorly improved the movie overall, Toad having more of a defined arc, Cranky and DK's relationship being more fleshed out, Bowser being more of a threat (rather than wanting to marry Peach because he likes her, in the dub he wants her to give him offspring.. Fuckin' hardcore) and the I think the voice work was a lot more memorable, given how most of the folks were actual VA's and not just famous big name actors. lol

Hell, 'Peaches' in the dub is more like a G-rated version of Hellfire from the Hunchback of Notre' Dame rather than a silly / cute song. :lolol 

I seriously recommend it if you're able to track it down: even if you're totally satisfied with the original, you may be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well damn, might have to look for a way to watch that version.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

Inside Out 2: 9/10 I loved it, the Woman loved it, the Kiddo loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cosmos Kramer

Cosmos Kramer Well-Known Member

American Fiction 8/10

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Abomination.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Damn, you're right, they already had a perfect term for that :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Softy Crime Lord

News Credits:
    My Criminal Empire (Note: No Crime Allowed)
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - 9/10

Rewatched the first Pirates of the Caribbean in preparation for the sequels (which I've never seen). I'll quote what I said about the movie in 2020 because most of my thoughts are the same, although I'll rescind the bit about the runtime feeling too long. This time around I felt like the pacing was pretty spot-on, can't think of any scenes I'd cut. Gonna bump it up to a 9/10 because it's just a great time.

I like how this movie subverts a lot of tropes associated with the pirate/swashbuckler genre while still very much being a pirate movie. It's not trying to be a total deconstruction of the genre, and it's very accessible to newcomers of the genre. So you end up with something that works for people who've never seen a pirate movie and longtime fans of pirate movies.

I also think this movie strikes a good balance between historical and fantastical. Some aspects of the movie (especially early on) feel very grounded and plausible, like the costumes and set design of Port Royal. But there's still a bit of silliness there, with the guards and all. And then you're taken into the pirate world, which leans more into the fantastical pop-culture depiction of pirates. Like, I doubt Tortuga actually looked like that. It would have been easy to skew too realistic or too fantastical, but it finds the right mix.

It's easy to tell what movies from the '70s, '80s, and '90s have become classics, but it can be harder to tell what movies from the 2000s onward will be remembered as classics. Still feels a bit too recent to tell. But this movie (along with stuff like LOTR and Harry Potter) have already become modern classics. That really speaks to how good it is.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Softy Crime Lord

News Credits:
    My Criminal Empire (Note: No Crime Allowed)
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - 8/10

Not nearly as tight as the first movie (and definitely more flawed), but still a highly enjoyable time. It lacks the charm and simplicity of the first film, but introduces some interesting concepts and some neat lore. Overall it does a good job expanding the first movie.

Despite going bigger and maybe getting a bit convoluted, I was still able to follow the story, and was happy the setpieces didn't go too crazy or over-the-top. Sure, fighting on a rolling water wheel is over-the-top, but it's appropriately over-the-top (and got surprisingly creative too, for such a seemingly limited location). I was glad things didn't devolve into thousands of CGI pirates fighting each other in front of greenscreens, like a lot of sequels tend to.

My biggest complaint is probably that the cannibal escape barely seems to connect to the Davy Jones story. Don't get me wrong, it's a super fun sequence, but seemed entirely pointless. Would have made more sense if it were an Indiana Jones-esque opening sequence that serves to re-introduce us to Jack, but he got a separate entrance. Unless this comes back in the third film, I'm kind of lost on the narrative point. Just felt like sidetracking.

Not a huge issue, but I'm also confused on why the Kraken didn't follow Jack when he tried to row away, despite being said later that it was after Jack and not the Black Pearl. Can it sense Jack's location? If so, it should have noticed that he left the ship. If not, there's no reason for Jack to stay behind because the Kraken would still think he's on the Pearl. Again, not a huge issue, just a little plot hole I noticed.

I was so happy to see Barbossa teased at the end. I knew he returned at some point in this series via osmosis, but I thought it was 4 or 5. I'm so excited to see more of him in this trilogy, since these are the movies people seem to like best. I'm curious how he returned from the dead, and what sort of dynamic he'll have with Jack moving forward.

19. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Gamera vs. Guiron" / "Gamera vs. Giant Evil Beast Guiron" -7/10

Gamera's fully on Guardian of the Children here as he journeys to rescue to boys accidently brought aboard a flying saucers to another planet, coming across two space alien maidens that become a Sci-Fi take on the Witch from "Hansel and Gretel", prompting our shelled savior to take on one of his toughest foes yet, the giant switchblade-headed Guiron, and his magic tracking ninja blades.
    Most of the plot is from the boy's perspective as they try to get out of one scrap after another and outwit their captors, while there's a smaller narrative back on Earth over their parents not believing the sister of one of them's accurate story of their abduction, giving the film an additional theme of not dismissing children's accounts so hastily.
    Probably the most impressive thing with this film is the elaborate alien city ruins where most of the action takes place in, bringing in a good old fashion science fiction illustration vibe, though it does have the drawback of robbing Gamera and Guiron of their sheer scale by not having normal people or building around them. Still, the fights are good and have that usual Gamera gore, though the ninja stars are a little silly.
    This is definitely a more child focus film like it's predecessor "Gamera vs. Viras" and especially compared to Toho's Godzilla films at the time, though there's nothing wrong with that. A good collection of Sci-Fi and Kaiju battles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    This month's been pretty productive.
    Watched Friedkin's Sorcerer (and rewatched) The French Connection; Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure and Creepy; Todd Solondz's Happiness; Tom Ford's A Single Man (it was for a uni assignment but I enjoyed it immensely); rewatched Sergio Leone's The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; did a double feature of Hit Man and Anyone but You as they both have Glenn Powell in leading roles; and Dan Clark's The Item, which I despised every minute of. To cap it off I also watched Lady Battle Cop, which was a lovely shlock fest even if the writing was paper thin.

Friedkin's French Connection and Sorcerer are all bangers, as expected from him. Its a shame the latter opened around the same time as Star Wars so no one really knows about it. I haven't seen the original Wages of Fear yet, so I can't see which adaptation of the book is better. French Connection is also great. Hackman absolutely kills it.

I was slightly familiar with Kurosawa's work as I've watched Pulse which I immensely enjoyed (and for those unfamillar with his work he direceted Sweet Home, which was adapted into the first survival game of the same name on the Famicom and was the basis for Resident Evil). Cure was shockingly layered in social commentary if you glance it quite closely; and the last act being free to interpretation definitely had me put on my thinking cap on unexpectedly.

In contrast, I found Creepy underwhelming. It's about a resigned criminal profiler who now works as a criminology professor taking on a cold missing persons case as a hobby; meanwhile the new neighborhood he moves into has a neighbor who is, as the title suggests, creepy. It's got a strong first half, but the script seems to know its going nowhere so it implodes upon itself for the second half and just... solves the mystery by itself? However, unlike Cure which does the same thing, the lack of any texture on the mystery itself just makes it a very bland watch.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly still remains one of my favorite films since I first came across it when I was in 7th grade.