The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    The Assassin (2015) - 8/10

This film is definitely not for everyone. Me being a visual artist I tend to gravitate towards visually stunning films and actively seek them out. Thus I have seen my fare share and when I say The Assassin is a breathtaking film I mean it. It reminded me a lot of The Conformist with hints of Kurosawa. I’ll be honest and couldn’t follow the extract story with all the family and political information being thrown around with minimal dialogue. I could get by watching the basic story unfold however, and that was enough for me. It is a slow burner with perhaps not a big pay off but this isn’t the kind of film to have a large finale in the forest place. All this was fine for me and the visuals and atmosphere of ancient China transfixed me for the whole run time. Recommended for cinephiles.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Shazam! 10/10

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

So this weekend I watched the film TMNT and it's pretty soild.
    810b2fe36b7132e3ebac28cc821fd330--ninja-turtle-birthday-turtle-birthday-parties.jpg
    This film had good animation, I liked the conflict between Raph and Leo, also it had fantastic action scenes. I wish there were more cgi action movies for kids. The cherry ontop of this is this film is very nostalgic for me, I remember seeing this verison of the Turtles everywhere.

The movie's plot possibly takes place after the 90s TMNT movies? As there are a few slight nods to them, Shredder is dead (a carry over after Secret of the Ooze.), though than again the film could take place in its own continuity.

The only flaws I think the film had is I wish all 4 brothers had a falling out, besides just it being between Raph and Leo. Other than that, I think the film is an underrated gem, go check it out if you can. 8/10.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Breach (2020) - 4/10

A modern sci-fi. And as a modern sci-fi/space thing it had to, of course, deal with the dystopian nightmare of current Earth ramped up to the n-th degree. Whatever. Can't have anything resembling hope enter a sci-fi these days. Hell no. Beat that oppression into your skull.

OK, so that out of the way, they never did much of a job of building characters. It was literally a cast of nothing more than cardboard cut-out caricatures of various types that are expected in a dystopian sci-fi. And some didn't even get the cardboard cut-out personality traits, just showing up long enough to wonder who they were before they get the axe. And, OK, I get they were going for sci-fi / horror, but the horror parts were really stupid, and they used it as yet ANOTHER excuse to pound into your skull the dystopian nature of the future we supposedly face.

Some group was so concerned we were spreading to another planet that they would rather kill off the crew(s) than let them land safely on 'New Earth.' At least they had the decency to make fun of themselves for the lame name of the new planet. "They hired a marketing firm and that's the best they could come up with?" was an actual line in the film. "Leaving seventeen billion behind to die," was another. Just in case we didn't get across that the future fucking sucks.

Had they bothered with characters, the premise COULD have worked well. But it's tough to give a shit about a bunch of nothings supposedly getting whacked left and right when there's literally nothing in any of them to hold onto. Even the main character's crush was nothing more than a blip on each end of the movie. Oh, she's the admiral's daughter. Who gives a crap? The Admiral is even less of a presence than she was.

I could use some quality sci-fi again that isn't just a constant jab at current issues. A freakin' plague? Really? Couldn't come up with something a LITTLE more imaginative in 2020 than a plague?

This one doesn't even qualify for the blender award, where you toss a bunch of ideas into a blender and see what comes out. They had no ideas. They had "future sucks, disease, ark, new earth, go."

The 4 out of 10 is basically for special effects. Apparently that was their entire budget. I'm sure Bruce Willis got a little. But there was no money wasted on plot, character development, or intelligent dialog. Just some blatant military speech nonsense, some phoned in "OMG!" nonsense and some "we're all gonna die" garbage. If I hadn't been day-drinking I wouldn't have made it through this. As it is, I regret the wasted time.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC, this was indeed a sequel of sorts to the original trilogy of live-action films.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Malignant 7/10

Was interested in this because I like James Wan’s work since Insidious and spoiler less press on this movie. Wow what to say. It’s a bizarre serial killer story with one crazy ass plot twist. The movie keeps your attention because it’s just so bizarre but it works in a strange way. Then when the twist hits it goes from an absurd level of 7 and cranks it up to 10.

7. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

The Transformers Movie - 8.5/10....sorry..to me this is just so much better than any of the live action movies. The music is good, the animation, most of the voices, and a plot better than any of the live action movies too. Was it perfect? Of course not. Am I looking at this with rose colored glasses? Of course! But seeing it in an actual movie theater today rekindled my love of Transformers. Watching the Bay movies makes me embarassed for loving Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 8/10

Now that was a fun trip. The interactions between the TMNT and the Bat crew were quite delightful, and the premise pretty bodacious. Surprisingly intense at times, with such highlights and Ra's and Shredder brutally murdering guards and Joker mutating himself and the other Rogues into monsters, and yet plainly comedic and light at the heart of it. Not bad at all :) 

9. milly89

milly89 Active Member

Green Knight 6/10. I usually like trippy, slow paced, otherworldy, fever dream, what's real and what does it all mean type movies, but The Green Knight didn't hit the mark for some reason. Perhaps it strayed just a little bit into pretentiousness? And the concluding mystery parts weren't that interesting. It started great and there were elements that were cool for sure - so worth a watch if you like things a little different and weird.

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The Transformers: The Move (1986) 35th Anniversary Theater Showing - Nostalgia/10

Decent turnout (around 25 people) for yesterday's showing of this classic. Can't remember the last time I've seen this from start to finish. Grimlock was the MVP.

11. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes, Madam! (1985) - 7/10

12. Lola

Lola Soap

Dune 8/10 currently, still not entirely sure about that rating thou.

13. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Free Guy - 9/10

14. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge 6/10
    By all accounts, Nightmare 2 sucks, but I was entertained at the campiness.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors 7/10
    Heather Langenkamp is horror royalty, so it was great to see her mentor a new generation of kids fighting Freddy Krueger. Special mention for one "Larry" Fishburne making a surprise appearance as some random orderly.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare 7/10

Robert Englund really is the best thing about Nightmare 6. He hams it up as Freddy enough that his performance eclipses just how bad Final Nightmare is. Special mention for the late Yaphet Kotto adding "Freddy Krueger" to his batshit list of iconic characters he fought in his career.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010 remake) 4/10
    Only took me eleven years, but I finally got around to seeing this stinker. The nicest thing I can say about this film is that it tries, it REALLY fucking tries. I'd say it tries way too HARD. My biggest gripe by far is how the film tries to pull some red herring bullshit by having Freddy try to imply that he wasn't a child molester, but then go through two scenes later and reveal that, YEP, Jackie Earl Haley's Freddy was as much of a monster in life as all the parents of Springwood thought he was... wah-wah.

15. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Hellraiser:
    Finally getting into another big name Slasher series. I felt a little underwhelming Pinhead barely did anything compared to the other Slashers such as Freddy, Michael or Chucky. He wasn't even the main villain instead it was an unsympathetic escaped victim of theirs. Not a fan of this body-horror. I know these are effects but I really hate this skin piercings and skin tearing stuff it makes me cringe so hard and turn my head away because I hate seeing it! Some effects could've been better but this is New World Pictures so I didn't expect something of high quality. Frank's corpse coming back to live though was a great looking effect and I'm surprised no one ever mentions this scene as one of the best transformations of the like in horror films.

7.5/10

1 down, 9 to go

16. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Venom: Let There Be Carnage 2/10

17. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I keep hearing this. *sigh*

18. SHINOBI03

Hellbound: Hellraiser II:
    I liked it more than the 1st one. Love all the horror imagery it had, the Cenobites were scarier and threatening, but I have some mixed feelings on how the Cenobites were dealt with and comes almost cheap.

8/10

19. SHINOBI03

Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth:
    A mixed bag, if not a let down after the second. The first third was very slow and boring, JP was a flat villain, Terri was not interesting, and was a slog to go through. It ignores the rules and lore established previously (like where is Leviathan from all this), and then you have Pinhead who finally transformed to a traditional Slasher villain like he's trying to 1-up Freddy Kruger with his hammy acting. Though considering this is a pure evil Pinhead I think I could let it slide just this once.

6/10

20. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar - 8.5/10:

This is the right kind of insane. The trailers reveal *NOTHING* about this movie. You think it's going to be a buddy comedy and it goes in so many different directions. I know a lot of people haven't seen this film so I don't want to spoil it and I have to keep the secrets of it. All I can do is recommend it. It's a tremendous amount of fun and very good-natured with a tone of genuine sweetness all wrapped up in silly. Jamie Dornan was the surprise, here. I'm sad I didn't watch it sooner.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage -8/10:

Let's get through the negatives, first...

-It's 90 minutes but it's slow.
    -Anything Carnage is utilized too little and he's not given much screentime overall. (He needed to be a bigger threat and you can tell they had to pull punches.)
    -The performances were great but everyone wasn't given enough scenery to chew on.
    -Yes, a good portion of it is a rehash of the first film. (Sort of necessary for the relationship building.)
    -The special effects are a little iffy in spots.

Now, that's out of the way...

Woody Harrelson is his usual here and the film is all the better for it. He's a good, solid actor and he elevated the film with every scene he was in. He's not a sympathetic villain (though they try), but he's a Kurgan-esque one. There's a bit of fun in that.

Seeing Tom Hardy helped with the story and produced it, you can tell there's a bit of love behind the scenes with this property and I'm glad they made it work.

Andy Serkis should've had some screentime. Leaving him behind the camera is kind of a crime when he's so good in front of it as well.

Naomie Harris was sort of underutilized but when she was on screen, she was excellent. I don't know how she masks her accent so well (yes, I know, acting) but she's really good at it and just seems to sink into her roles. You'll notice who she is, of course, but she puts her all into her performances and I'm sad she's not a box office draw of her own. I would very much like to see her headline a film of her own.

There were quite a few genuinely humorous moments and not those unintentional ones, they're getting better at the humor side of things in these Marvel movies.

Speaking of... Wait for the credits scene, you want and need to see it.