The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Greyhound - 7/10

2. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Luca - 9/10

• Like Like x 1
  3. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Shang Chi

To start, I used to be a big marvel fan, I have seen pretty much everything up to Infinity Wars and with that movie (and a couple before it) I decided to drop marvel movies and haven’t been back since.

Then I heard that the one and only Tony Leung was going to be in a marvel movie and thus they had my interest again. I couldn’t afford to miss a Tony Leung film. Added to the interest it would be a somewhat martial arts themed film and things were looking like a good combination.

So going into the film I had two concerns; how would they treat Tony Leung when so many big actors get the shaft when they are placed in a Marvel film and how interesting/competent will the fight scenes be. And surprisingly I was very satisfied with both!

Thank goodness they treated Tony with the respect he deserves. Every scene composed with him was an absolute treat. Using some of that The Grandmaster training to showcase really fun action scenes. His first encounter with his wife was a spectacle and a joy to watch. Not only was it a good fight it had emotion and development. The amount of screen time and attention he receives was more than I expected. So weird hearing him in English though.

Then of course we get to the bus fight and we get peak entertainment, the big reason I came out. Done up by one of Jackie Chan’s fight choreographers, you say? I believe it! The only problem was there was not particularly enough of the fighting. I was satisfied by the quality and there was at least a decent amount of fighting but yeah, I’d be lying if I didn’t want more.

Thus overall is was a pretty solid if not great movie. And out of the twenty+ (?) marvel movies I have seen only like three others peak outside of goodish and I can consider really good movies. (Ironman 3, GotG 1, Thor 3 -and those are thanks to the directors’ style showing through). For that I would rank Shang Chi below those however above most others.

Shang Chi - 8/10

• Like Like x 1
  4. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Is secretly livid all the time

Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece, without a doubt. Every frame is a beautiful, gorgeous peek into an entire world different from our own. I was thrown into a trance as I witnessed this primal battle between man and nature, and I think I'm still in it. This is a film everybody should see, I just don't see a reason why not. It's film perfection.

• Like Like x 3
  5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away

So what’s your score out of 10? ;) 
    Based on your description, I’m going with Chuck Norris.

I agree, it’s really good. Though I personally prefer Spirited Away.

• Like Like x 3
  6. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I watched “Worth” on Netflix. I’d give it a solid 7 out of 10. I dig Michael Keaton, and I think he did a great job in it. I don’t know how historically accurate it is, but it had some touching and interesting parts…kinda made you think too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Is secretly livid all the time

Oh crap I forgot to give a score! Yeah, Chuck Norris is about right.

I do recall Spirited Away being quite the enthralling experience, but I haven't seen it in a few years so some parts of it have escaped my memory. I'll have to give it another watch soon and compare.

8. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Princess Mononoke is honestly the best Ghibli movie yet. It gets a solid 10/10 from me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Top 5 maybe.

10. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    John Woo Marathon
    The Killer (1989) - Chow Yun-fat/10
    Hard Boiled (1992) - Chow Yun-fat/10

• Like Like x 1
  11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Malignant - as a serious horror film: 4/10, seen as a quasi farcical comedy - 8/10

Seriously, I don't remember laughing so hard at a horror movie that was attempting to take itself seriously in a long, long time. My wife and I just kept tossing out the references to the horror movies they stole the concepts and ideas from. So many cliches held up as if it was some big 'wow' moment and it just felt like there was nothing much to it other than continual jabs at the genre.

I told my wife at one point, "'It's time to . . . CUT OUT the cancer'" is no "it's time to slice and dice!" and she cracked up so hard she had to run for the bathroom. And that wasn't even the best laugh of the movie.

In the end, if not for the ridiculousness of how serious it was while continually shoving tropes down our throat, it's pretty much your standard issue modern horror film.

12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gone Girl

Well, this film reminds you about being careful of who you are married to. It's no surprise, David Fincher is a master of suspense when it comes to crime thriller mysteries especially with Seven and Zodiac behind him. I like his ability to keep to you engaged with the case no matter if it was fictional or real. Ben Affleck is of course a good actor but Rosamund Pike was scary in this. I was able to remain uncomfortable throughout the movie every time she was narrating or doing her act; even when she is vulnerable does she come back scheming. What a standout performance indeed.

Tyler Perry; NPH; Carrie Coon and other cast members were also good too. Again, either Tyler Perry or NPH were stand out performances too based on their previous work. I also like how the movie highlights the deceptiveness of press/media and its ability to influence how you can think. Which is why, I like to be cautious these days whenever there are reports. Other than being a little bit on the nose with how the missing case is unravelled, this is a tense and unnerving film that showcases Fincher's talent to bending your mind.

9/10

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Super Troopers 2: 2/10

Holy shit this was bad. It gets 0.5 for getting the band back together, and 1.5 for Emmanuelle Chriqui.

14. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion Marathon
    Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (1997) - 5/10
    The End of Evangelion (1997) - 6/10
    Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone. (2007) - 7/10
    Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. (2009) - 8/10
    Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo. (2012) - 8/10
    Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time (2021) - 9/10

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Black Widow - 6/10

16. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee - 9.5/10

Maybe not quite 9.5 level good ("objectively" it's probably closer to an 8 or 8.5), but Bumblebee is definitely a personal favorite of mine. I haven't watched his movie since early 2019, and I was nervous that it wouldn't hold up as well as it did during the first few viewings, now that the newness factor has worn off. I'm happy to say I still love this movie, and enjoy it about as much as I did initially.

As someone who has a mixed relationship with Bay's movies, I'm honestly still blown away by what a change of pace this is. After five movies that leaned almost entirely on visual spectacle (with the characters and story serving as more of a vessel to get to the action), it's crazy that Paramount greenlit a movie that has, like, three action scenes in the whole thing, and no fights (outside of brief flashback) in the second act. It's almost surreal that this even got made. Like, even Marvel with all their genre hopping has never made something this different from the other movies in the series. This is less of an action movie, and more of a slice-of-life coming of age drama with some sci-fi paint. It's easy to make fun of the Paramount higher-ups, but I think they deserve a lot of credit for simply okaying this. Creative risks don't always work, but IMO this one does.

Overall I just really love this movie. The characters are extremely likable, there's a great balance between the Transformer stuff and the human stuff, the effects are great, the designs are fun to look at, the fights are clever, the soundtrack is cool, etc. The movie is pretty concise and easy to consume, which is how I feel Transformers should be. I like the get in-get out feel of this movie, it makes it very rewatchable. This movie is admittedly derivative of stuff like ET and Iron Giant, but this is my personal go-to version of this story.

I don't really have any major complaints. I do feel like there are some noticeably awkward gaps in logic and conveniences/contrivances, like Sector 7 just bringing Charlie back to her house and not bothering to keep an eye on her. There are actually quite a few things like this throughout the movie. You have to watch it with a certain cartoon/comic book logic. Which is fine with me...as much as I love Transformers, I'm not as scrutinizing over details and worldbuilding as I am with something like Star Trek. I do think they shouldn't push it too much in future movies though...for instance, the Quiet Place movies tend to push my suspension of disbelief a step too far.

The only other complaint I'd mention is Memo...I wish he had more to do. I think he's supposed to be a deconstruction of someone like Megan Fox's character, he's mostly there to be the love interest. Which is fine, but I feel like the movie is actually a bit too harsh on him (and by extension the Bay love interests). Like, all of Bay's female characters (despite being overly sexualized) did get significant plot stuff to do. Which makes it weird when Memo trying to help at the end is played off as a total joke. I get what they're trying to do, but I feel like the point they're trying to make gets a bit muddled, and it probably could have worked better with some tweaking.

But overall any complaints I have are relatively minor, and they don't really hurt my enjoyment of the movie significantly. I still love Bumblebee as much as ever, and I'd recommend giving it a rewatch (because I'm sure everyone here has already seen it).

• Like Like x 4
  17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Shang Chi 8/10

18. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Warm Bodies-I was expecting it to be awful, but it was surprisingly sweet, and the dry wit and internal thoughts was well delivered. There were alot of predictable plot points, but I guess if something ain't broke, don't fix it. 6/10

19. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bone Tomahawk

Want to see a movie set in the Wild Wild West with cannibals as part of the plot; making it a horror film as well? Keep your expectations at place because this movie is good but if you're looking for a full-on bloodfest with over-the-top violence and witty cowboy dialogue then this is the wrong film for that. What this movie does is a slow-burn and it really trods along that way. However, the four characters played by Kurt Russell; Patrick Wilson; Matthew Fox and Richard Jenkins all are set up to be interesting characters which are anchored by the performances themselves.

The movie settles for a somber and gritty tone which to its credit makes certain things effective such as Patrick Wilson's character suffering a leg injury. Kurt Russell is also a badass but not like the way he has acted in his earlier movies; he's more of a grizzled type of guy. When it comes to the horror elements; there is a decent amount of uncertainty and the movie does the 'Jaws' thing of not revealing the cannibals until they are needed.

When the cannibals do their thing; they are brutal and they have pretty rattling sounds to them. There's one particular scene which I don't want to spoil if you haven't seen the film that highlights them in a gruesome manner. Aside from the faults it has; I recommend this film wholeheartedly as it seems to be one of those films that gets swept under the rug and since Halloween is coming; this movie might change things up for the better.

8.5/10

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's All That - 2.5/10:

FFS, don't watch this. My wife saw Rachel Leigh Cook and thought "ooh, sequel" can't blame her, I'd have thought the same.

This was just stupid, the cast can't act, the characters are vapid and make the current generation look like dribbling idiots on weed laced with a tranquilizer.

It's not even a good retread, it's thankfully short and that's pretty much all it had going for it. Matthew Lilliard was funny and made me laugh, hence the 2.5.

Please, please don't watch this. Don't tell Netflix we want this crap.