The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Watched two pretty good flicks just now.

Pig 8.5 (Maybe even a 9)/10
    Solid flick. Great cinematography, great acting all around, especially from Nic Cage. The story didn't waste time at all and had a unique atmosphere to it. Highly recommend.

The Turning 8/10
    Another adaptation of "The Turn of the Screw" but a unique take on it. Lots of great cinematography going on for a horror film, good acting, some legitimately creepy sequences without the use of lame jump scares, and the use of a more classic horror score. Didn't expect much out of this film but it was a pleasant surprise. Another recommend.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Red Son Superman - 8/10

interesting reimagining of Superman over the backdrop of cold war politics. Jason Isaacs Superman is really great and it makes me wonder how he'd do as a traditional Clark Kent.

3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    A Quiet Place Part 2 - 7/10

Finally got around to watching this. I thought it was a worthy sequel to the first film for the most part. Like the first one, it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief for the technical aspects, and you kind of have to shut off your brain whenever you start to ask "why don't they just...?" One problem I had with this movie that I didn't have with the first one is that I thought some of the scenes were kind of disorienting, and it wasn't always clear what the characters were trying to do. For a film that relies so strongly visual storytelling, that's not a good thing. I kind of felt the Michael Bay influence here in the cinematography. I also expected some sort of bigger twist or stakes towards the end, I thought they'd set up a queen monster or something they'd have to defeat in the third film. I feel like the characters didn't really discover anything new or get any closer to ending this threat, which almost makes this movie feel pointless.

But thankfully I thought this film had enough good character stuff and suspense to keep it entertaining. It's honestly kind of what I'd expect for a sequel to the first film. If you liked the first film, I'd give this a recommendation.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10

I'm always torn between whether I like this or the first film better. I feel like the first film has a simplicity that can't be topped, but I think this is the series' magnum opus...the peak of Toy Story. This does such a great job concluding the story with a bittersweet ending (yeah, I don't count the fourth one), and creates a great adventure that makes the characters earn that ending. By the end it really feels like the characters have been through it all, and the finale just feels so right.

This might be a controversial statement, but I also think this is the peak of Toy Story's animation. Yeah, the fourth film technically has better animation. But photorealistic backgrounds and textures aren't the end-all-be-all of good art design. I think Toy Story 4 feels a bit showoffy and is a bit too photorealistic for it's own good. This has a more cartoony aesthetic, which lends itself to a lot of striking visual shots.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Free Guy - 8/10

5. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Friday the 13th Part VII:The New Blood. A girl who has psychic abilities accidentally resurrects the corpse of Jason Vorhees who is currently floating at the bottom of Crystal Lake. Tina is a girl with extraordinary powers who finally gives Jason a formidable foe. I love this movie and it still holds a special place in my heart as the Friday the 13th I remember seeing this most on the late night marathons on USA network. Not only a is it a great horror flick but it gives us the meanest, most badass looking Jason in the franchise. My rating?

13/10

6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

The Green Knight 8/10
    The Suicide Squad 2/10

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don’t Breathe 2: 0/10

Worst movie I’ve seen all year from the standpoint of how it tries to rewrite the horrors of the first movie and then takes like a ten second dialogue exchange to fake atonement. Possibly the most needless sequel I’ve seen.

8. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Rays and the last dragon - 7/10

not bad at all. Awkwafina’s voice wasn’t great but it was passable. Disney definitely used an older school style of writing that worked. Probably one of the top three Disney movies to come out over the past few years.

9. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Silence of the Lambs

I don't think I need to break it down since it's so well known.

20/10

10. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Love Letter (1995) - Chuck Norris/10

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah...that's gonna have to be my rating too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've watched a little too many movies over the past few weeks, so I'll just condense this to which were my favourites.

The Departed- 9/10
    This meets the list of my favourite/great Scorsese films. As much cinematic prowess, he has demonstrated over the past and depending if they interest me or not, I find Scorsese to be a director whose best work shines when he explores moral ambiguity and corruption. He seems to have a great understanding for how the crime underworld works and the way they can influence the legal system. Great performances (no surprise) from Jack Nicholson; Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon and special credit to Mark Wahlberg for finding his comfort as a hard-ass cop.

Collateral- 9/10
    It's a simple film that's topped with fast-paced tension and a rare performance from Tom Cruise as a professional hitman. Jamie Foxx was great too. The only thing about this movie you could argue sets it back is the conveniences but then again, the movie would not pick up. There's a great scene that stands out between Cruise and Foxx trading remarks about their satisfaction of their lives and Foxx's shift into a different character was great but kind of contrived given that Cruise is a professional killer who may be put a little too much trust onto his taxi driver. Oh yeah, I think there were some great music choices if I'm not mistaken for each of the scenes.

Inglorious Basterds- 10/10
    Quentin Tarantino is for sure the man as of far who knows how to stage talking scenes between characters. Coupled with great performances from people like Brad Pitt and especially Christoph Waltz who makes a simple chit-chat feel like the most dangerous thing ever. Also a movie that blends multiple story lines well and just a fun way on creating alternate history.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Fun fact: the special effects were so good that their was a conspiracy that Kubrick helped fake the moon landing. (The movie came out before Apollo 11 was launched).

2001 is definitely a movie that’s more style over substance, moreso an experimental art project than a movie. But it’s played such a major role in sci-fi that it still deserves to be brought up.

14. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    The Green Knight 9/10

Just finished watching The Green Knight. AMAZEBALLS!!! The visuals, the dialog, the atmosphere, the score, the acting. Fantastic! I'd been waiting to see this film for quite awhile now, and have been hyped for it since the first trailer, it did not disappoint. Highly recommend this film.

15. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Reminiscence 9.0

16. AndyGold

AndyGold Active Member

Ebay:
    Spiral: From the Book of Saw - 6.5/10
    I'm a big fan of the Saw franchise so was definitely looking forward to this. It takes a big step away from the Saw formula which considering the last couple of sequels is probably a good thing. It's less uber traps every 5 minutes, to more of a police crime drama/thriller. A slight problem with that is the police drama parts are not all riveting viewing and leaves you thinking "Where Poochie... I mean the traps?"

The traps don't disappoint, making up for the limited screen time they have and definitely memorable for going back to a more "grounded" nature, rather than a glass box in the middle of town or a brazen bull pulling up from the floor like the worst Transformers Pretender ever. The inevitable twist ending though doesn't feel like a twist as the majority of people who will see this will spot it coming like a subway train

If you're thinking that "bad police, mental case killing police, black lead character.... this must be a political statement" I can assure you that it's not. If their intent was to make a film with a political statement they moist certainly missed the target (can't really say why as it contains some info considered spoilerish)

If you want a movie to just slap on and mindlessly watch then this is for you. If you're after a more thinking movie.... this is a Saw movie. There is no Saw movie that will make you think

Overall a big improvement on entries like Saw 3D, but that's like saying I'm happy I have Crabs because it's better than gonorrhea

17. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Happy Together - 7.5-8/10

A Wong Kar Wai film through and through! If you’re familiar with and love his idiosyncrasies in film making then you should enjoy this. The terrible but beautiful tragic love here is crafted well. You get lost in the days these two men spend together. Every shot is gorgeous! Not a completely hopeless narrative but not a super feel good flick either. Think a darker In the Mood For Love. Music is used well but there lies one of my complaints, that I would have liked to have more of that. Music for me is paramount in the atmosphere and mood of a film. Happy I was finally able to check out this flick.

18. Cyberstrike

Cyberstrike is many things to many different people.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Macross II: Lovers Again-The Movie a movie compilation of the 6 part OVA series. Some interesting concepts and ideas but has bland action scenes and uninteresting mecha design. The English dub is good and final song is good. 7/10.

19. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

Alien Vs. Predator - 7/10

I watched Alien Vs. Predator, I came in with very low standards as the reviews were mixed to negative, the director is known for the first Mortal Kombat, the Resident Evil movies and more recently Monster Hunter, and the film didn't start off well, but by the end I was pleasantly surprised.

The beginning was boring, human stuff and no Alien and Predator in sight, by the 40 minute mark is where I feel the film becomes waaaaaay better.

Alien Vs. Predator does a lot of things better than even films today, the movie focuses on Aliens and Predators. The film knows audiences only came to this movie to see 2 of films most iconic aliens fight to the death. After most of the human characters die, the film becomes their movie, and it's action packed and epic. I wish more films focused on the characters audiences want to see. The aliens were scary and the Predators were badass. Plus, the main Predator we follow is a cool character, as because he can't talk, he uses body language and hand movements to communicate.

For flaws, again, Aliens and Predators have nothing to do with the story until the 40 minute mark, so you have to deal with humans exploring, and they aren't engaging enough to carry the movie. The visuals are dated, as the aliens are rendered in 2004 cgi. The fight scenes can be a little too chaotic as the editing is so fast you can't see what's happening.

Overall, give it a watch if you never seen it. If you hate the film and haven't seen it in a long time, give it a revisit.

20. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Tourist Trap.

A group of unsuspecting travelers stumble upon a museum of mannequins that take on sinister similarities to friends of theirs as they're trapped in the desert nearby.

I mean, this shit has Tonya Roberts who practically smokes she's so hot.

10/10