The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    Interstellar 4.5/10

2. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Imagine people's reaction when they rewatch or watch for the first time The Next Karate Kid.

3. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The Karate Kid Part 3:
    A huge downgrade from part 2. The villains are way over the top silly you can't take them seriously, Daniel got so stupid he screws up everything he does to help, the tournament is full of bullshit moments with the final insult being Daniel saying he's scared of his opponent who is just a bully when he just fought a no-rules death match against someone who wanted to kill him just the previous movie.

Now some ideas in it could've worked if it was by a better writer. The conflict between Daniel and Miyagi was one of them, Kreese needed more presence because he barely does anything despite the plot being about him wanting revenge, not his friend. Also felt it was odd none of the previous Cobra Kai students were available in a plot revolving around the revival of their dojo.

4.5/10

The Next Karate Kid:
    Yeah, I know this one is not fondly loved, but I honestly like this over part 3. It is the silliest of the 4 movies, but I think Julie was written better than Daniel in his 1st and 3rd movie combined. She is more understandable and her character growth is more convincing.

Sadly the more sillier parts are still hurting the movie. Michael Ironside and his goons are very comically evil and the 2nd half is filled with its silly moments like the out of nowhere Zen magic.

But if I'd choose between this and part 3, I'd choose this one over it.

5.5/10

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Back to the Future - 9.5/10

Rewatched the whole trilogy over the past week. I'm amazed at how well-done these movies are. Time travel stories are hard to make coherent, and Back to the Future manages to create a series of time travel movies that not only make sense, but connect with the average moviegoer. It's amazing how many things are set up, then come into play later. There are a lot of neat plotpoints, as well as subtle background details.

I think the first movie is the strongest for me. It's just a nice self-contained package that tells a fun story. While the time-travel plot is super creative and well-thought-out, it's really the charming characters that make the movie great, along with the clever writing.

Back to the Future Part II - 8.5/10

I think the sequel is quite good too, albeit probably the weakest of the trilogy for me. It jumps around a lot, and the plot can feel sort of disjointed and even a bit repetitive. Still, it's a really fun ride with some great moments, and definitely a solid movie. I love the idea of Bif giving his past self the sports almanac, and then him becoming rich. Marty trying to get the almanac from him was a lot of fun.

Back to the Future Part III - 9/10

This one is between the first and the third for me. I think it's a bit more focused than the second movie, and follows a more simple plot. I love the old west setting, and all the gags and clever scenarios that come from that. I don't think it can quite beat the first film, but it's a close second.

• Like Like x 5
  5. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Watched Twilight Samurai the other night. Damn good movie, really shows of Sanada's acting chops (as if it were in question). 8/10

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Terminator Dark Fate: 7.5/10

So out of all of the post T2 terminator movies this one is the best. I was expecting it to be bad but besides the John Connor death in the first 10 min the movie was pretty good. It’s strange that they did something so daring so early just to play it safe for the rest of the movie. Like Terminator 3 and Terminator Genisys they have to somewhat follow the T2 outline but shake it up just a little.

7. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GrouchyUnimportantIridescentshark-size_restricted.gif

8. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    0544353337f8837a36b4904d38b2c7dd.jpg

On a serious note though, despite my strong disagreement with you, I hope you know I'm messing with you.:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I do. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

I rewatched Konosuba movie and it was better the 2nd time. I love Megumin. 9/10

12. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Just finished The Outside with Leto. Pretty damn good. The atmosphere of the film is very tense throughout. Though I'm 100% sure this would never have taken place, very entertaining, very well shot, excellent narrative, great performances. Solid 8/10

13. Kamijou Touma

14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the Tall Grass
    7.5/10
    Pretty good thriller/horror movie. People hear someone lost in a giant field of grass, so they go in to find them. Like, ok. Guess we got 2 1/2 hours of grass. But then they toss in time warps, rips in space & things start getting crazy.
    Everyone dies but keep getting 2nd chances thanks to the time loops & all that. There were only 2 times where I thought that this fairly tame horror movie went too far. Both scenes involved a baby. Those scenes were at least kept obscured and mostly off- screen, but still. Don’t even go there.
    Overall pretty enjoyable. Didn’t end quite the way I figured it would, but pretty close.

15. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 7/10

Hadn't watched this one in awhile, and I've seen it enough times that I was moreso distracted by doing other things...but despite it being my #2 of the Bayformers films, at times it feels a mess. I don't know what it is about Bay thinking "anger/attitude equals characterization," but it feels that's the mode Sam Witwicky is in this film for so much, and it doesn't help me like him. Then again, maybe he's an avatar for Bay who hasn't really grown-up over the years.

There are still some moments in this film that stick out, and I do still watch the Chicago scenes, remembering that summer wandering around the city watching them film (even found myself walking 5 ft behind Shia one day). Sentinel Prime to me is still one of the more interesting characters, this father-figure who loses his way thinking it's the only way to save a way of life, though he also dooms the Autobots on Earth to be seen as the bad guys given his actions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kamijou Touma

I want to eat your pancreas 9/10 I loved this movie even if it left me a sobbing mess.

17. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi I only accept apologies in cash

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Umm.

What’s the context behind the title?

• Like Like x 1
  18. SHINOBI03

The Godfather:
    Another film I see it popping out in popculture but have no idea what it really about other than gangsters.

So it's a movie that revolutionized gangster films, and I can see how. The characters are taken seriously and realistically instead of the stereotypical funny Italian-American gangs, the kills are a lot simpler instead of high octane action moments, and the acting in general is great.

9/10

19. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hellboy (2019)
    I'm gonna be honest, this was not as bad as the abysmal scores on the Internet make it out to be IMO. Without comparing this to del Toro's films, the pacing in the movie was a mess and then the editing. This movie moves way too fast with its plot development jumping from point A to D and then Z. This movie is trying to jump by doing exposition by the way. Somewhere in the context of the scenes, there's bound to be a movie I like. Speaking of which, the movie takes inspiration from 4 different comic book storylines of the Hellboy universe according to what I read. That's quite a bit of inspiration but it's very sloppily put together.

I think I don't hate this movie as much is because it has a lot of neat story concepts that the movie played with like the King Arthur legend which started off looking like it was Sin City or something. Had these been handled with more precision given to the script, I think we would have a solid Hellboy movie based on the comic book storylines it was inspired by. With all due respect to Ron Perlman, I think David Harbour was pretty great as the title character. He's portraying a Hellboy that's more in line with the horror elements rather than whimsical ones and he's definitely giving his A game as best as he could. By saying that, he brings his own take. I didn't think any of the acting was bad if I'm being honest. I like Ian McShane as Broom and he was great with the father-son moments he shares with David Harbour. Milla Jovovich was also someone I was looking forward to considering how trapped she is with the movies she and her husband make. And to her credit, this is the best I've seen from her minus Fifth Element if I'm being honest. It's shame her performance isn't supported by the script.

On a much higher note, some of the bloody action was cool given that's it is R rated. I also think the practical effects were another highlight whenever they were on display. The CGI effects however can range from subpar to just down right shoddy and that is a shame given the variety of designs available in the movie. All in all, it's not a god-awful movie like some seem to suggest but it is one of the biggest wasted potential movies I have seen. What's more heartbreaking than the behind the scenes production is the box office. It might be cool to look at this movie as a cult classic but I guess that's not the case. My final score for this movie is generosity by the way.

5.5/10

20. SHINOBI03

The Godfather Part 2:
    I often hear it is superior to the first part, but I'm going to say otherwise. While the cast killed it again with their performance, I thought the plot was slow and was a little bit all over the place with the flashbacks at the earlier parts of the film.

8/10