The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Johnny Cage Vs Scorpion for me. All the Easter eggs were there from signature movies; fatalities and of course the Friendship.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Linden Ashby was the perfect Johnny Cage and made him so great that I prefer this version over the games. I don't like how recent games and even Scorpion's Revenge focused on the "idiot actor who is too oblivious to realize he's not in a movie" part of the character too much instead of the "actor who realized how serious things were and to set his ego aside for the greater good" part.

Also Ashby's version focused on the part of him being a talented martial artist trying to prove his skills and the movie showed us how good of a fighter he is, unlike Scorpion's Revenge that made him a big wuss who can't fight the entire movie until the power of boner awakened his skills to save Sonya in a cheap attempt at surprising the audience.

Linden Ashby is the real Johnny Cage... and then Annihilation happened...

• Like Like x 1
  3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Totally agree. Ashby WAS that character. Frankly, I think a lot of what makes the MK movie a tolerable video-game adaptation is the quality of the actors. Cage, Liu Kang, Kitana, Kano, and especially Shang Tsung are well-cast. I'm honestly not a fan of Christopher Lambert as Raiden, though.

It pissed me off that Cage was immediately killed off in the sequel, but then again I like to pretend that movie (and the next one too) never happened.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    0*luN2RWWqbdOHdY95.jpg

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 8.5/10

This one surprised me, I hated it the first time I watched it but now I love it. The music is great! Although the Kraken fight is a bit underwhelming.

My current ranking one being the best.

3 Dead Man's Chest
    2 The Curse of the Black Pearl
    1 On Stranger Tides

TBD (I haven't rewatched these recently.)
    At World's End
    Dead Men Tell No Tales

5. SHINOBI03

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation:
    I saw the reviews, I heard the horror stories, but man was it worse than what I expected.

It's amazing how one of the best live action video game movies gets a sequel that ends up as one of the worst live action video game movies. There are not enough words to describe how awful this is.

Everything in it was a huge downgrade. The narrative is dumber, all the new casting choices are awful, especially Brian Thompson as Shao Kahn that I despise with a passion. The music was boring, the fighting choreography switched from natural raw martial arts to excessive wire-fu, pointless jumps and twirls, and heavy reliance on CGI special effects, and these effects, good God the effects were total sh!t! Even by 1997 standards they were crap from the unnecessary chroma key used in the sky to the most disgusting CGI creatures I've ever seen in my life.

Everything in the movie was so cheap one wonders if this was meant to be a Straight-To-Video movie instead of on the big screen. Unless there's a better explanation, that's what I'll believe for now.

Some fans may take the first MK movie as a "So Bad It's Good" movie, but Annihilation is a "So Bad It's Awful" movie. It's an irredeemable piece of garbage and I'm thankful Midway/NetherRealm Studios never took anything from it to their future games.

2/10

• Like Like x 3
  6. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    I don't play or watch Mortal Kombat but man I enjoy reading these.

7. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi why do we have to fight all the time?

News Credits:
    Titanic - 9/10
    If Rose and Jack got on the door together they'd fucking drown, okay?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SHINOBI03

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I see it the complete opposite. Annihilation is so bad it's good, while the first movie is middle of the road, which is the worst place to be. The same reason I can rewatch Batman & Robin endlessly, while Batman Forever is difficult for me to sit through.

But yeah, the Annihilation effects are literally laugh out loud bad. A friend and I watched it in the theater, and when they fought Motaro, we both were laughing so hard there were tears rolling down our faces and it was difficult to breathe. I've only laughed that hard in a theater maybe two or three times in my entire life. The fact the Motaro fight wasn't intended to be funny is completely beside the point.

And I thought Shao Khan was perfectly cast. He was the best choice of all working actors at the time which this production could afford. Love the Sindel actress, too.

10. SHINOBI03

The one single moment that made me unintentionally laugh out for real was Raiden's death moment. Here we have Raiden and Shinnok trading "epic speeches" at one another building up this epic fight of the 2 brothers, then Not-Shao Kahn shoots one energy ball at Raiden sending him flying and and falls to the ground while everybody else around him are not bothering helping him or even reacting to what happened in front of them as if they were all fell asleep during the speeches and Raiden's fall woke them up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Give the movie another try in a couple years. Now that you know not to really expect anything out of it, you might be able to just enjoy the ridiculousness of it.

That's kind of how it was for me and the JCVD Street Fighter movie, which I absolutely hated the first time I saw it. I mean, talk about a movie that takes a giant, messy dump all over a franchise from a great height -- that is the one. MK Annihilation at least is roughly true to the mythology of the game, despite falling down in almost every way. But Street Fighter is pure invention by people who didn't know and cared even less about what the games actually were. But over the years, I've softened on it and now can enjoy it as another Batman & Robin-type spectacular trainwreck that is hilarious from beginning to end.

12. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

Cowboy Bebop movie 8/10 good, but not a good as the series.

13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @SHINOBI03
    It’s always fun hearing about someone’s first time watching MKA. It’s absolutely one of the worst trainwrecks I’ve ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Blob (1988) - 8.5/10
    Great remake of old classic. This, like 1980s The Thing, is how you do a remake right. Sadly this bombed back in 88, but now people see it for how good it is. Plenty of great gore. Solid film.

The Day After (1983) - 7/10
    Tv movie where USA and Soviet Union nuke each other and people around Kansas City deal with the fallout.

pumpkinhead (1988) -7/10
    Decent horror film. Lance Hendrickson's son is accidentally killed so he summons a demon to hunt the killers down.

-- one thing that always bugs me is kids ages according to IMDB. In this film There is Hendrickson as a kid who looks about 9 or so. IMDB had the child actor at around 12. Then there is the son. He looks about 6-7. Very small, looks like he has all his baby teeth. IMDB has him about 11-12 during filming. A grave stone for Hendrickson's dead wife has death of 78. So that put him about 9-10 with film delays. Stuff like that confuses me. The kid acts very young. I can't get a date on when filming took place.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kamijou Touma

Air movie 8/10

16. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 4/10

I'm not even sure where to start. I honestly thought this was pretty bad. After seeing this, I can't say I get why this ever had any sort of audience. I don't think I've ever seen a movie try so hard to homage a classic story and ultimately feel more like an insult. It's like everyone involved in this movie completely failed to understand the source material. Wonderland isn't supposed to be some sort of epic Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy world with rules and lore. It's supposed to lack logic, like a trippy dream. That's the whole point! I'm not saying this "isn't enough like the cartoon/book" or something. By all means, change stuff up if that's the artistic vision. But you can't just throw out the whole premise and call it by the same name. I maybe could have looked the other way if they had called it something else (say, "Alice in Underland" or "Alice: the Epic Quest" or something). But it's straight up called "Alice in Wonderland", and they didn't deliver on that. Literally...the place isn't even called 'Wonderland' within the context of the story. It's just awful.

I was confused as to whether this was a sequel to the Disney cartoon or not. It's made by Disney, it's certainly not a remake or the original, and some of the flashbacks mirror the scenes from the animated movie. Everything is treated like nostalgia-bait, so it feels like it should be a sequel. But the caterpillar isn't a butterfly, and everything looks entirely different. Because of all the differences I'm assuming it's not a sequel to the cartoon, which I'm completely fine with because I love the cartoon. I guess it's just a sequel to the story in general.

I have trouble finding much of anything I liked in this movie. I liked the design of the playing card knights, and I chuckled a couple times. That's about it. I found the visual style pretty ugly. Everything had that blurry CGI look, and 99.9% of the movie was painfully obviously a greenscreen. Was this considered good for 2010? Some poor/dated CGI can still look charming, but I just thought this looked ugly and a bit embarrassing. And the ending epilogue was downright cringeworthy. Not what happened necessarily (they were neat ideas), but the execution of them was awful. It was all so rushed, it felt like the last chapter of a fanfiction that the author just got bored of writing. To be fair, the animated movie had a rushed epilogue too, but at least it flowed. Plus, animation is hard and time consuming, so it's understandable that they didn't want to waste too much time in the real world. This just felt like they just wanted to get to the credits as soon as possible. I was actually feeling secondhand embarrassment at several points in this movie, and the ending was one of them.

This reminded me a lot of Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I despise that movie too, because (similar to this) he missed the point of the beloved original. On a purely objective level I'd probably give this a 5 or 6 out of 10, but I'm bumping it down a couple points because I didn't think this had any rewatch value (which is something I take into consideration when I rate movies). I was a bit bored, I actually considered shutting it off halfway through and finishing it another day. I went into this planning to watch this movie and the sequel, but I now have no plans to watch the sequel. My recommendation? Avoid this movie like the plague and go watch the original instead. I think this may be the lowest I've rated a movie on here.

17. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    King Kong Escapes (English Dub version) - 9/10

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kamijou Touma

Koe no katachi (Shape of Voice) 9/10

19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Jungle Book (1967) - 8.5/10

Ever since the live-action one came out, that has kind of been my go-to Jungle Book. And while I think that's probably a tighter movie overall, this one is still pretty dang enjoyable. And the lack of a tight narrative isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's supposed to be kind of like a road trip. The important thing is that all the individual situations are a blast to watch, they're all a lot of fun. I loved this movie as a kid and I'm glad to say it still holds up.

20. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

The Fellowship Of The Ring: Chuck Norris/10
    An awesome, well shot, beautiful movie.

• Like Like x 1