The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah the Wonka remake was not awful, but not great either. I do like the other kids in the remake better. Mike is a smart gamer and the mouthy kid you find on CoD multiplayer. Violet is now the over achieving mini clone. Verruca is even more spoiled. I like original Charlie better. Same with Wonka. Oompa Loompas i like a bit better in the remake.

2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

The Report .1/10 I couldn't get through 30 minutes of this movie.

3. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Yeah I just watched it. I agree. These are fun movies. Hope they do a 3rd soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Yeah. According to wikipedia, there's a third one in development. Jumanji: The Next Level - Wikipedia

The Terminator (1984): 10/10
    Really good movie. I wish I had watched a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - 8.5/10

This was my first time seeing it. I really, really enjoyed it. It was a fun and highly entertaining swashbuckling movie, and I really loved Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow. Now I definitely understand why he has become such an icon. All the characters were great, and the way the story played out was really interesting.

I was shocked at how good the effects were on the skeleton pirates. This was done in 2003, and the effects looked perfect. I didn't notice any glaring obvious effects. I knew ahead of time that they were CGI, but they almost felt like physical puppets. I grew up watching the old Disney Treasure Island, and it was neat to see something like that with a much higher modern production value (with the ships and whatnot).

One complaint I have is that it felt a bit long. Apparently some critics considered this movie bloated. I don't think it's nearly as bloated as something like The Hobbit, but I did feel the length in a couple places. I wouldn't say it was poorly paced by any means, but I also didn't think the pacing was quite as tight as something like Terminator 2 (which was even longer, and felt shorter to me). I don't think I'd revisit this movie all the time, but I would definitely rewatch it again. But this is a pretty minor complaint. If the pacing were a bit tighter, I might bump it up to a 9. But I could see bumping it up on a rewatch anyway, because it's almost there.

If I had to make one other complaint, some of the editing felt a bit weird. The main example I can think of was the part where Jack and Elizabeth get stranded on an island. That whole sequence felt sort of choppy, they go from being sober, to drunk, to sober again super quickly. I didn't really get a sense of time. Even though I complained about the length, this sequence probably could have played out for a bit longer.

I know it's an older movie, but I'm still going to spoiler tag a couple things. Miraculously I wasn't spoiled on a couple key moments, and I'd like to preserve that experience for anyone else who might have not seen it yet. I'm of the opinion that spoilers are always spoilers, and theses are a couple I feel are worth preserving.

I loved the reveal that Jack Sparrow stole a coin and became a skeleton pirate himself. I'm shocked this wasn't spoiled for me, because it seems like the sort of thing people would make gifs and memes of. Plus, a skeleton wearing Jacks's outfit is the brand's logo. Maybe I had it spoiled at some point (it's likely I did, actually), but if so I completely forgot. It was a super fun twist that I didn't really expect. Obviously I knew he wasn't going to die, but after getting stabbed I assumed he was going to continue to fight with an injury, or he'd just be out of the movie for a while. It crossed my mind that he could be cursed too, but I didn't think it would play out that way.

I also really liked how Jack killed Barbossa. At first I wasn't sure if Jack just used his shot to distract him or not, but that was another neat plot development.

If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely give Pirates of the Caribbean a solid recommendation. It's a solid well-constructed adventure movie that's a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pirates is what brought me around to Disney movies again.
    For years I disliked everything Disney cranked out. Their live action stuff like Air Bud was played out & trite. Their animated stuff was formulaic & cookie cutter.

I avoided Pirates for about a year or so on the basis of “they made a movie out of a theme park ride? Pfft!”

But it’s just a really great movie. The sequels bounce around in terms of quality, but part 1 is just a solid, near perfect pirate adventure.

And then Disney started cranking out the Marvel movies. Kinda got over my dislike, went back & rewatched a bunch of their animated stuff from the last 2 decades. Some of it was good. Some of it still sucked, but you know- I didn’t throw a hate blanket over all their stuff anymore. And that’s entirely thanks to Pirates.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I can definitely see that. It feels very different from a lot of other Disney stuff. It feels less safe (which is probably because it was their first PG-13 movie).

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Thing about Willy Wonka is that since its a book, every move counts as adaptation rather than remake. I mean I didn't think much of the Johnny Depp adaptation but it isn't a remake of the Gene Wilder version. Strictly speaking. It was still pretty rubbish though.

9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Space Amoeba: 7/10

10. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically it's the fourth.
    Fifth if you count the quasi-spinoff, Zathura.

• Like Like x 1
  11. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Yes yes we know lol... The 3rd of this version...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sixwing

True. I always forget about the older movies, which I haven't seen.

13. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Not a movie per se, but more of a game-movie kind of thing. Minecraft: Story Mode, watched/played it on Netflix. What a blast, though I'm a bit biased as I've been a Minecraft fan for years and I suppose the block people aesthetic might be off putting to some.

9/10

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sixwing

Prometheus: 8/10: A good prequel to Alien, although I was hoping for more Xenomorphs

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - 9.5/10

Rewatched this for the first time in a couple years because of RedLetterMedia's review. I loved this movie during my teenage years. Rewatching it brought back a lot of memories from around 2011. Although I never really thought about how much of an impact it made on me until now. Watching it as an adult, I appreciate it on a whole new level, especially after hearing RLM's perspective on it.

One thing that really jumped out at me is how unique this movie is...no movie like this would be made today. It sort of exists in the same area as something like The Princess Bride (or even Star Wars), where it's hard to lump into one genre. It's sort of a fantasy/adventure/comedy/musical, with some satirical aspects. It's sort of a mash up of genres, but it doesn't feel disjointed or awkward. Everything gels with each other. It's funny that the Oompa Loompa songs become straight-up singalongs with words on the screen...but you don't even really think about it because the movie has conditioned you to accept its quirky world by then.

A fair amount of people seem to interpret this movie as very dark, with Willy Wonka being sadistic. I've honestly never gotten this vibe from the movie. I've always seen Wonka as more of a playful teaser who's completely in control of everything. I always assumed that he knew the children weren't going to come to real harm, so he just had fun with the whole situation. The tunnel scene is the only part I find dark (although still quite funny and tongue-in-cheek). Although as a kid I vaguely recall being freaked out by the fan in the Fizzy Lifting Drink scene. That might be one of my earliest movie memories, actually.

And speaking of the Fizzy Lifting Drink scene...it's the only scene I don't like in the movie. All the other kids were punished for breaking the rules and disobeying Wonka, and I think it's weird that Charlie got away with the same thing. And on top of that, Charlie and his grandfather get out of the situation by burping...which is weird because the movie emphasized the importance of having good manners several times. That scene just carries a weird message that isn't echoed throughout the rest of the movie (and seems to downright go against the other messages presented).

But overall it's a fantastic movie, nearly perfect in-fact. The songs are great, the sets are great, the jokes are great, the actors are great, and the story is great. I don't think I've ever met anyone who disliked this movie. I think there's something for everyone in here, which is sort of a miracle considering it's a rather weird and unusual movie. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. It has to be in my top ten or fifteen favorite movies ever.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    One Piece: Strong World
    A HELLA 10/10
    [​IMG]

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But they didn't get away with it, not really. They got caught and they ended up making amends when returning the Gobstopper, and Charlie was the only decent person in the entire place up to that point. (He regained his decency when returning the Gobstopper. Joe was still just as awful as before, shame he didn't learn the lesson.) He made a mistake and learned his lesson on his own and his good heart won out over everything else. Willy was so moved by Charlie's honesty and unwillingness to cheat that he gave Charlie the factory. Charlie had to feel the loss to fully understand what went wrong. If anything, it's actually a really good example of what not to do and how actions have consequences.

We saw none of that with the other kids. Just outlandishness and silliness but no real payoff in the end. Charlie's the only one to come full circle.

18. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I definitely see what you're saying, and I do see the ultimate message (and I think it's a very good message). But I still think that particular scene comes across as a bit awkward in execution. I love that Charlie made amends by returning the Gobstopper, and I think it's okay for him to make a mistake. A message of second chances is always good. But the only reason he got the opportunity to return the Gobstopper is because his grandpa happened to discover that burping would save them...which he discovered by pure accident. That part had nothing to do with Charlie's heart or even his ingenuity.

It (unintentionally) comes across that the movie is saying "you deserve a second chance...but tough luck if you don't stumble upon a solution by pure luck". I think I'd be okay with that scene if it were something other that Grandpa Joe's accidental burping that saved him. Preferably a solution tied to one of Charlie's positive qualities that had been established earlier in the movie (like his love for his grandpa or his generosity). Then you could assume the other kids also had a chance to escape their fate...they just lacked the positive quality necessary. That would also avoid burping being painted in a positive light (right after the movie called out the other kids for having bad manners).

And again, I think the movie as a whole carries the intended message, which is made pretty clear in Wonka's office. I don't think most kids (or even most adults) will overthink this scene as much as I am. But in addition to the overall message, you do have to think about what each individual scene (and heck, each individual action by a character) is saying too. I don't think this scene destroys the movie by any means, I just think it caries some unintentional implications that I didn't notice in other scenes.

19. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A big part of the problem is it's a Roald Dahl adaptation and he really was an awful person. Not just mean-spirited in some of his writings, but in his parenting, too. It's definitely reflected in his books/works. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie deviated so as to have a positive and lovely ending to round it out. The man was awful...dang. Roald Dahl: The children’s literary giant who wasn’t always so friendly He also would out of nowhere treat the children to midnight feasts (no joke) bordering on insanity, so...yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I've heard that he was a pretty weird and awful guy. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory years ago (after I saw the classic movie), and I recall finding it sort of boring (at least in comparison to the movie). As a teen I actually preferred the sequel, which was insane and involved them going to outer space in the Wonkavator. I should re-read both and see what I think of them as an adult. I think the movie definitely put a more positive spin on the ending. As I recall, the ending of the book had the other kids leave the factory deformed (like in the remake). I always thought it was a good decision to omit that in the original movie.