The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Bloodshot 6/10

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Dogora - 8/10

3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Terminator - 9/10

First time I had seen either of these. I knew the general premise, but I didn't really have any idea how things would play out.

I thought The Terminator was fantastic. It was a great sci-fi story that was much smaller and more contained than I expected it would be, based on the trailers I've seen for the newest couple movies. Arnold's Terminator was a fantastic villain, he felt cold and unstoppable. He felt super blunt, but also clever at the same time. The movie really did a good job showing how terrifying machines would be if they turned against us. I've seen other robot uprising movies, and they rarely do the subject justice.

I liked all the clever things they did with the premise. Like the Terminator going through the phonebook, which alerts Sarah Connor to something being wrong. I liked the Terminator impersonating her mother's voice. The flash-forward scenes were really well-done for a pretty low budget movie. For a movie that involves time-travel, it felt pretty tight and straightforward. The characters were likable and the suspense was really good. Oh, and I loved the score. I'm surprise the score doesn't get brought up in more "best score" lists. Overall this was a very smartly-made movie.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 9/10

I'm debating if I liked this or the first better. I like some of the ideas in here better, but I do like the shortness and conciseness of the first film.

First off, I thought the cinematography, action, and effects were fantastic here. I was sort of blown away by how good the T-1000 looked. It was better than many modern effects, and it was done in 1993. Something like this would be a pretty straightforward computer effect nowadays. But knowing how limited CGI was back then, I'm baffled by how some of these shots were done so photorealistically.

Initially I was kind of mixed on Sarah Connor's portrayal here. But eventually I liked the approach. Making her sort of a crazy person was more interesting than just having her be some super competent hero. It was a neat progression of the character. I thought John Connor was great, thankfully he didn't feel annoying. And I really liked the good Arnold. Making him the villain again would have been too repetitive, so it was great that they did something new with him.

T2 felt like more of a journey than the first. Most of the time I don't like it when action/adventure movies are two and a half hours long. 99% of the time I feel like they could be cut down, and be better for it. I feel like half of my posts on this thread say "it would have been better if it were shorter". Well, this is one time I won't say that. This didn't feel too long.. Although full disclaimer, I did watch it in two parts. But not because I was bored, but because I had something else to do and had to finish later. I was actually disappointed that I had to pause it. And that's pretty high praise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - 6/10

Well, that was a major step down. I went into it expecting it to be worse than the first two, based on what I had heard. But this movie was actually unintentionally laughable. I've never heard such bad audio mixing and sound effects in a big-budget movie. There were borderline Loony Toons sound effects in here. The T-X's flamethrower sounds like a cat roaring. The sound mixing was actually distracting. And some of the fight choreography between the T-800 and the T-X was downright hilarious. I'm legitimately not sure if some of it was supposed to be a joke. Like Arnold shoving her head into a toilet. I thought I was being trolled. It was so out of touch.

As far as things I legitimately liked, Arnold was great (as usual). He was essentially playing a weaker version of his character from T2, but he was serviceable and got some good lines. There were a couple good jokes. The progression of the tech with the T-X was cool. That's honestly about it.

If this movie were even more unintentionally laughable, I'd probably love it. But sadly it was mostly kind of bland and lame. It lacked the sense of weight and dread that the other movies had. The T-X didn't feel nearly as unstoppable as the previous two villains. She just felt like a generic superhero movie villain or something. All of the mood and the atmosphere was sucked out of this movie. If it had it's own distinct style, maybe it would have worked. Hey, I'd be up for a more superhero-esque take on the Terminator. But if that's what they want to do, it still has to be good. And this was not good. I found it to be a very poor movie that you should only go into prepared to laugh.

• Like Like x 2
  5. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Zodiac
    David Fincher might be one of the few directors that can pull off a mystery crime film and keep it going for as long as it suits. This movie had me gripped for a good chunk of time where we switch back and forth between the central 3 leads of RDJ, Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal. People can remember these guys for the superhero/villain characters that they play; but also forget that these are actors with credentials that go back to films like this. I also wanted to watch this film because my interest in the subject matter peaked and I was keen to know more.

Fascinating true story. The killings were pretty tense and it's reflected on how cryptic the Zodiac Killer is. Aside from pacing, I wanted to complain about the usage of CGI in the film but realised that it was just a David Fincher trademark seen in other films like Fight Club. It's a trademark that's pulled off well and I respect the decision behind it as for Fincher, practical stuff is time consuming. So I guess here's a film to show why CGI isn't always inferior to practical. So all in all, the film is pretty gripping and while I still prefer a movie like Seven. I think this is a mature handling of multiple murder mysteries which happened in real life.

9.5/10

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

you have no idea how many times I've debated that...i still haven't decided.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WindVoice

WindVoice Constantly floating in a void of confusion

Coco (2017), 10/10. Pixar is making me cry again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lockout - 8.5/10:

Everywhere I turn, there are news sites talking about how this movie is constantly trending on Netflix right now and in the top 10 each day, consistently. Apparently, it has a new-found cult following and it's a must-see fun romp...

Man, were they right! This was great! I loved it, really. Yes, I know it was hit with lawsuits from John Carpenter (and he was within his rights to do so. What a ripoff. lol) and that it lost money and critics hated it, etc. It was really a good time and Guy Pearce was excellent in the role. Maggie Grace can't seem to catch a break, though. Not with Luc Besson. If she's not Taken, she's held captive on an orbital prison. lol

The only thing I didn't like was the needle scene. Less said, the better. *shudders*

If you have Netflix, it's pretty much free, give it a shot and have a pretty good 95-ish minutes.

9. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

Shrek Retold - Shrektastic/10

How have I never heard of this project before? I know about Shrekfest, and this is put on by the same people. Anyway, the people who put on Shrekfest had a project where they had a couple hundred people, each with their own style, remake the individual short parts of the original 2001 movie. This means one scene may be CGI animated, and the next will be live action, and the next will look like a kindergartener's illustrations, with different actors and voice actors for each scene. The result is naturally disjointed...but also freaking hilarious and entertaining! I have not laughed that hard at a movie in a long, long time. So many WTF and creepy CGI and/or uncanny valley moments. A big props to all of the actors, voice actors, artists, and others who made a ridiculous, ogre-the-top re-imagining of Shrek!

Here's a trailer, and you can watch the movie on the same YouTube channel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Justice League Dark Apokolips War - 9/10

A good send off for 14 movies worth of animated DC entertainment that at times can feel a bit shocking as characters you like get unpleasant endings.

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back to the Future 3: 10/10
    A perfect way to end the trilogy. Just finished rewatching the whole trilogy & I this one is my favorite. If I were to rank them, it’d go like this:

3, 1, 2

Part 2 suffers a bit for the entire future segment. It’s just so cheesy. Never bad, but kinda cheesy. The rest of the movie is great though.

Part 1 is another near perfect movie.

And while part 3 requires you to have seen parts 1 & 2 to get the most out of it, it’s still the best to me. Just a great flick. One of the best ever made.

• Like Like x 5
  12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Founder
    Underrated Michael Keaton performance and fascinating biopic. Contrary to the title, this movie is more about how McDonalds became the mega fast food chain it is today. I like the story of the entrepreneurship going from one burger joint to becoming multiple restaurant across all of America and eventually the world. Of course, when you do that there's stuff like the financial consequences that are brought about. I liked Nick Offerman and JCL (who I ironically saw in Zodiac) as the Mcdonald brothers as well and they do a good job highlighting their concern as Ray Kroc bought their business out. It's pretty much one movie to highlight how McDonalds is actually the way it is and the choices made that made it persist as it is.

9/10

13. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - 9/10. It's been about a year and a half since I last saw this and I enjoyed it even more than when I first saw it. I'm definitely up for seeing more of these characters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    The entire DCEU thus far

1. Man of steel 8/10

2. BvS ultimate edition 7.5/10

3. Suicide squad 4.5/10

4. Wonder Woman 8.5/10

5. Justice league -1346777/10

6. Aquaman 7.5/10

7. Shazam! 9/10

8. Birds of prey 6/10

As a bonus: watchmen 9/10

Also can’t wait for the Snyder cut of justice league and possibly the Ayer cut of suicide squad

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Fox and the Hound - 7/10

It had been years since I last saw The Fox and the Hound. Probably at least a decade. I remembered it being slow, but cute. And yeah...that's a good way to describe it...slow, but cute. One one hand, I like that it's sort of laid back. But on the other hand, it does drag a bit. I feel like the pacing probably could have been improved. This is the sort of movie I'd enjoy putting on while I'm sick, to just relax and chill without much stress. But I do like the setup of these two friends becoming enemies because of their nature, and having to deal with that. I wouldn't rank it among Disney's greatest, but I do think it's solid and deserves a watch.

If nothing else, it's probably the only movie ever to ever say the phrase "Ok Boomer" completely unironically.

The Hunt for Red October - 8.5/10

I saw this a few years ago. I recalled liking it, but I didn't remember much about it. Like, I remembered next to nothing. I really enjoyed it on a rewatch. It's pretty suspenseful and well-done. I hope it sticks with me more this time. If not, it could go down to an 8. Sean Connery does a fantastic job, and I like that the Russians aren't just villains. The visuals in the submarine were gorgeous. Whenever I talk about Force Awakens, I always point out that the lightsabers and spaceship engines have a beautiful vibrant glow to them. All of the computers and buttons have that same look here. I love that aesthetic. A very well-done movie that definitely deserves a watch.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Rambo: Last Blood 7/10

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Terminator Salvation - 7/10

Much, much better than Rise of the Machines. If nothing else, Salvation at least had competent technical filmmaking. Like, it had good sound mixing and good effects. I wasn't laughing at it unintentionally. Overall I liked the premise. It was a nice break from time traveling and the typical Terminator storylines. I definitely missed Arnold (aside from the brief cameo), but I thought the different approach worked. The fan service was tasteful and it felt like the filmmakers knew what they wanted to make.

When I watch watching it, I was enjoying it quite a bit. I was thinking "I don't get the low critic score". But in hindsight, it doesn't seem like something I'd be super eager to check out again. I wasn't terribly attached to the characters or the narrative. I mostly liked it on a visual level. Especially the scene with the giant robot and the Terminator factory at the end. Those was really cool. It was a fine "in the world of Terminator" story, and I think it definitely deserves more praise than people give it. I would say it was good, but not great. It doesn't come anywhere close to the first two, and I'm not sure I'd ever revisit it. I could see watching one of those "best scenes" compilations though.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn):
    Glad I didn't go to this movie because I'd force myself to watch what I paid for, otherwise I'd totally walk out of it.

3 things that are good in it: The egg & cheese sandwich, the hyena, and sticking to one tone instead of Suicide Squad's mess. Everything else was utter garbage.

The Deadpool-style narrative was painful to sit through, the plot was padded for too long, they turned Renee Montoya to a joke, Cassandra Kane was a pathetic load instead of being the kickass fighter that she's known as, Huntress and Black Canary were generic trashy "Badass girls", and Black Mask makes Tommy Lee Jones' Two-face from Batman Forever subtle in comparison.

It's been a long time since I felt wanting to get my time back and I sure regret wasting it here.

3/10

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

Summer Wars 7.8/10