The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Funny I'd probably split the difference at around 7.5/10

• Like Like x 3
  2. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 9.5/10

Only a few (very) minor quips about the running time and its pretty standard buildup to the finale, but otherwise there’s just so much to love here.

Energy and enthusiasm is off the wall (heh), takes all the best stuff the Spider-Man mythos has to offer and combines them into one modern, spectacular looking package. Highlights for me:
    -characters all feel genuine and the voice cast is spot on
    -I’m usually against complete overhauls of character designs, but I totally dug this Doc Ock update. And points for Kathryn Hahn (scene stealer in Step Brothers and Bad Moms)
    -like I need another reason to rock my (2013) Jordan 1 Chicago’s, especially with The Last Dance on right now
    -huge fan of John Mulaney’s comedy, so glad he gets some shine here
    -proper Stan Lee cameo
    -hilarious post credit scene
    -great soundtrack that blends perfectly
    -self-aware as hell and makes no apologies for it

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Madea's Big Happy Family 8/10.

I know Tyler Perry is the laughing stock for everyone who's not his target audience, but in any case, please don't judge and let me explain.
    The story revolves around a woman whose cancer returns and only has weeks to live. She wants to get her family together for one last dinner where she plans on giving them the news, but they're so disfunctional that by the time they all come together its too late, especially for her most estranged daughter.

The reason why this movie moved me and makes me genuinely cry each time I watch is because I've lived through a similar situation, albeit worse, and it continues breaking my heart to this day. As a religious person, the main character's faith and strength moved me as well.
    Never thought a Tyler Perry movie would bring on the waterworks like this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Zootopia - 9.5/10

There was, for a rather long while, a hot topic of debate between the fans of Frozen and the fans of Tangled as to which movie was superior. I've always liked Frozen more, but. Glad 2016 came along and brought two Disney movies that were wildly superior to both before I had to defend it. Moana is probably the more apt comparison to the other two, but I think I keep going back to Zootopia as my favorite Disney movie in a long time. There's the quality of the animation and the voice work, and then there's just the importance of it as a children's movie. This isn't just a movie that kids and parents can enjoy together, it's one they should enjoy together. And that doesn't come around all that often.

Also, stunt casting celebrities is rampant in animated movies, but damnit if Jason Bateman isn't perfect in this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil- 6.75/10
    The Maleficent movies are such a weird property in the landscape of live action Disney remakes. Even aside from the fact that the stories are almost completely different from the original Sleeping Beauty, they’re a complete mess in terms of tone. This movie actually begins with a sequence that wouldn’t look out of place in a San Raimi Evil Dead movie but without all the blood and gore. Then it cuts to all of these happy, peaceful fairy tale creatures not long after. The rest of the first act then kinda plays out a bit like Shrek 2. The second act kinda gets dull and doesn’t commit to the drama as much as it should with Maleficent’s character. Then the third act happens, and things go completely crazy. The villains actually convert a church into a gas chamber to commit genocide on magical creatures, and I swear that the main henchwoman was having an orgasm while she was killing them. Then a giant battle happens, and a lot of people die, and they actually stay dead. However, the movie ends way too happily in my opinion. They don’t even show a rebuilding phase or indicate that time has passed. It goes right from a huge battle where lots of people died right into a wedding where everyone on both sides is getting along. This movie is so bizarre. The kiddie fairy tale elements really don’t mesh with the darker Holocaust symbolism they were going for (which is strange considering how dark most fairy tales were in their original tellings). Aurora isn’t a very interesting protagonist and her decisions aren’t really the best either. What really carries this movie are the villains. Michelle Pfeiffer clearly enjoyed playing a villain, and the movie doesn’t even try to hide that her character is crazy considering her introductory scene is her aiming a loaded crossbow at people for fun. The main redheaded henchwoman was the best part in my opinion. She’s so short, but she still manages to be intimidating somehow. It’s an objectively bad movie, but I honestly recommend it because of how crazy it is.

6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Joker - 9/10

I decided to give it a shot and it actually lived up to the hype

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Back to The Future Part III: 8/10
    A lot of fun

• Like Like x 5
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Peanuts Movie (2015) - 8/10

I saw this in theaters when it came out (and a few times since), and I'm happy to say it still holds up. Outside of the Christmas Special I never got extremely into the Peanuts stuff, but I do really enjoy those movies and shows whenever I see them. I honestly wish there were more modern animated movies like this. It feels focused and low-key. Kid's movies don't need a breakneck fast pace and jokes every second and super busy animation to be entertaining. I'll take this over something like Angry Birds any day. My only real complaint here is that I don't think the modern pop songs fit well here. I could have used retro-sounding songs or just classics. But it's a pretty minor complaint.

Superman Returns - 6/10

I really liked aspects of this movie. The actor who played Superman was fantastic, and the movie was fanatic when he was doing Superman things. I liked that there was a lot of focus on him saving people and stopping destruction, you don't see that in a lot of superhero movies nowadays. When I was watching it, I was enjoying it fine. But when it was over, I didn't think the movie equaled the sum of it's parts.

I could sort of see the start of the modern "dark and muted" DC style forming here. That was a big problem I had throughout the movie. The movie had a lot of browns and greys, and that's not really what I want to see in a Superman movie. I wanted more color and more humor. I could tell the filmmakers thought they were making something epic. It was super long and was filled with downbeat music that begs you to take it seriously. There were a lot of shots and scenes that kind of drag. I felt like the movie was being a bit pretentious. Superman can be epic, but it has to be the right sort of epic. The John Williams stuff is great, when that kicks in. But I don't feel like Superman should be overly serious or dramatic. If you could edit this down to 90 minutes and boost the color palate, I think there's a decent fan edit in here somewhere.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Did a classic double feature of films I'd not seen.

the Fugitive - 9/10

Tommy Lee Jones' breakout role and a solid entry in Harrison Ford's leading man portfolio is a taught, lean and no-nonsense thriller/chase movie. Recommended, as is its sort of sequel, U.S. Marshals.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) - Did not finish/10

Hoooo boy. Call it blasphemy but I think one way the 1999 remake improved on the original was having Thomas Crown take part in the heist at the start of the film rather than just be the passive mastermind. This movie made McQueen a passive force in the plot against Dunnaway - who was stunning in her day my fucking God - but otherwise its....dull. Also the guy singing 'Windmills of your Mind' did the shittiest rendition of the song I've ever heard.

So yeah, cannot recommend; any movie that makes Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway at their peak boring gets no love from me.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd rate those two exactly the opposite (although I will join you in blasphemy in liking the remake Crown more than the original). I think Thomas Crown Affair is fantastic, and I thought the Harrison Ford Fugitive was mind-numbingly boring, excruciatingly tedious and predictable to the point it sucked even any mindless enjoyment I might have otherwise experienced out of the movie. Kind of like Mission Impossible 3, where 5 seconds after the character is introduced, you think, "Oh, this person is the bad guy." Then you wait an hour and 10 minutes hoping for some twist or that it's even just a tiny bit less simple than that, but it isn't. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

And Tommy Lee Jones was a wooden plank in that movie. I never understood the praise he got for that one-dimensional performance. That role should have ended his career, not launched it. I mean, I'm glad it did, because he's done a few great things since, but that movie blows.

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker

5/10

A forgettable end to a forgettable trilogy. There never was much of a story to tell with these characters. What’s worse is that all of the classic characters added nothing to this trilogy. Star Wars has and always will be overrated. Society seems to have finally caught on that the franchise they loved as kids is actually a pretty lousy story altogether. George Lucas is an effects guy and NOT a story teller. Abrams couldn’t do much with this franchise either.

Was this movie terrible? No. Would I want to see it again? Not really.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Noel Harrison. It won the Oscar, that year. Sting's singing the remake and is arguably known for it, which is usually how it goes. Remakes don't just hit theaters, it's amazing how many songs were actually written/performed by the original artist and they never made a dent until the cover by someone else.

13. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I Tonya - 8/10
    Or Winter Soldier beats up Harley Quinn. Entertaining. But man does everyone one in this look like crap. Everyone from Tonya, her mom, the trainer, etc look sickly or just awful. Is it because of them being poor? Or it is the 80s/90s?

i love sone of the comedy of this. Most of the people involved are total morons. Loved the fact Stant moved his car every 15 minutes while staking out the wrong place. They paid for the stuff on Visa, the bodyguard guy Shawn just told everyone everything, etc. if it was just letters they might have gotten away with it. But the idiots went further.

14. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Back to the Future Part II: 8/10
    Good movie, but I think the third one is slightly better. Also, FLYING CARS!

Shanghai Knights: 8/10
    Hilarious movie. I laughed pretty much the whole time.

15. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Weird Science - 9/10
    Haven't seen it in a while. Good funny 80s film.

also on the dvd is the pilot to the 90s TV series. Great line when they are going to make the girl. One of the guys says "I know it will work. I saw it once in a John Hughs movie."

• Like Like x 1
  16. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Watched a couple of Disney movies with the kids recently:

Big Hero 6 7.75/10
    It’s entertaining. Other than Hiro and Baymax, and maybe Fred, the superhero team doesn’t get much characterization. Not really any surprises; the first time I saw it I had the bad guy figured out not too far into the movie.

Moana 7.5/10
    The kids liked it and my wife loved it. It didn’t click for me. Moana’s a great character and her signature song is memorable, but it just seemed like a bunch of random stuff happened. I didn’t get the part with the crab at all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If you liked Big Hero 6 but want more meat to it’s bones, the series is on Disney+ and it’s pretty cool

• Like Like x 1
  18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Contagion - 9/10
    Really parallels a more extreme version what is going on now. Great cast.

captain phillips - 8.5/10
    Good movie, but the soundtrack drowned out dialogue sometimes and it got a little too frantic to tell what was going on.
    I did a bit of a double take at the end credits fact that the pirate Muse is incarcerated in Terre Haute, Indiana. That is about 2 hours from where i live. But wiki says he is now in South Carolina. Just found it odd they would jail a sea pirate in the middle of Indiana. Thought it would be more of a coastal state.

Rain Main - 10/10
    What is there to say. Great film. Hoffman plays it right. He is charming and not overdone. Could have ended up with a Sean Penn I Am Sam level performance and it would suck.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  19. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Liam Gallagher: As It Was 10/10

20. KellyClark

KellyClark Banned

Just finished watching Split. Certainly.. weird and interesting, with some upsetting moments

I knew it was about split personalities but the way colleagues joked about it I thought it would be more light hearted. I thought James mcAvoy was brilliant at portraying the different characters

• Like Like x 1