The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I finally watched Captain Marvel...was better than I expected... I liked it and would probably give it about a 7/10.

2. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Still need to see it.

That, Black Panther, Ant-Man 2, and Spider-Man 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Of those, Ant-Man was my favorite...but I enjoyed them all. I honestly haven’t seen a bad MCU movie...and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen every one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Frozen 2
    7/10

Funny but quite generic.

5. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Knives Out - 10/10

Easily the most enjoyable and expertly crafted film I’ve seen in years. Brilliant dialogue, hilarious subtle irony and just plain FUN to watch. The only downside is now I want Kentucky Fried Craig in more movies. Loved the character more than his Bond (and he made a great Bond).

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    seconded. An outstanding film.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Playmobil (Surprise! It's a Musical!) 2019.

I saw it. It's was weird. It was really really weird. And also, surprise! It's a musical! The movie was completely insane. I want to say it's terrible, but it's too crazy for that. I'm not even sure how to describe it. There's cannibalism in this movie! Someone gets eaten by a T-Rex. There is Jabba The Hut woman. There is a Russian spy ring inside a taco shack. It's like Taco Bell, if it was ran by the KGB. The villain is Not-Caligula. Who is paying pirates to go around to the various worlds within the playmobil world, to feed to his T-Rex, to entertain the masses. Which he introduces us to it in song. Songs, that are less songs, and more like Shatner 'singing', but with slightly more rhythm. There is food truck not-Han Solo. There is a fairy godmother! Oh yea, she has a song too. There actually aren't a whole lot of songs in this musical, so it's very far in between. It's jarring everytime it does another number. Because you quickly forget that this is also a musical.

That whole thing with Harry Potter the spy, in the trailer? That doesn't come into the film until like 40+ minutes! And, only takes up maybe 5 to 10 minutes of screen time. 15 at most! Oh, and they never mention in the script anywhere, the product they're trying to sell, aka Playmobil. Making me believe that this script was written first, and then they went to various toy companies until they got the rights to something. And, they ended up with Playmobil. And, that's this movie. They wrote it, and they decided what product to push later.

I can't say it's good. I can't say it's bad. It certainly was an easier sit, than the second Lego movie. Which I still think is an awful movie. I still love the first one, but not the second one. My theater didn't offer the five dollar thing, but they did offer a free soda instead. Which is about $3 at my theater. Ticket prices are only 6 dollars before 6 pm, so it makes since, I guess? lol

I'm going to give this a negative 10 out of 10. It's completely insane, and it's too insane to hate. Us 4 adults seem to like it more than the 1 kid in the audience did. I don't know who this film was for, I don't know why it was made, but like Ugly Dolls, Oh, I am so glad I saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tfcrafter

tfcrafter Customizer and LEGO MOCer

News Credits:
    Parasite 10/10
    If I could give it more I would. But it is an incredible piece of cinema and may be one of my favourite films of the year, if not the decade.

9. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Goosebumps 2 7

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Avengers: Endgame - 8.5/10

This is the first time I've seen this since theaters, my second time total. I wanted to see it a second time in theaters, but I just couldn't get anyone else I knew to go back. And the rather long runtime kept me from pushing too hard.

I'm happy to say that almost 8 months later, I enjoyed it about as much as I did the first time. I think it's a good sendoff to this era of the MCU. Everyone gets their moment to shine, and the fanservice is cleverly handled. The humor mostly hits, and the big end battle is really exciting and fun. This is one of the somewhat rare finales that actually sticks the landing.

As I said above, it is pretty long, but I don't feel the runtime as much as some other long movies. Still, that keeps it from being super rewatchable for me (which is fine, I have plenty of other movies for that). I do feel like it could have maybe been cut down just a little (some jokes might linger a bit too long, for instance). I also find it weird how there's no resolution to the Vision character whatsoever (unless he appeared on one of those hologram memorials and I missed it). Basically everyone else was revisited and given some sort of resolution (even Gamora and Loki who died in Infinity War), but poor Vision didn't even get his name dropped (and he's a pretty major Avenger). Not a huge complaint, but the lack of any acknowledgement for the character felt weird since everything else was tied up so thoroughly.

Overall it's a fantastic movie and I definitely recommend a rewatch (even though everyone probably already has by now).

The Grinch (2018) - 7.5/10

I never saw this in theaters, and decided to save it until Christmas time, since the home video was released in March.

I heard nothing but criticism for this movie when it came out. And yeah, I totally get the complaints. Call me crazy but...I actually didn't think this was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Dare I say, this was probably Illumination's best movie since the first Despicable Me (their only movie I consider truly good). I mean, remaking the Grinch was a dumb idea to start with. It's not a story that needs any more depth than the original half-hour cartoon had, it's just supposed to be a simple tale with a moral. But if you're going to turn it into a 90 minute movie, this is about as good as you can expect.

That's not to say it's anything too special, but I didn't find it overly annoying or obnoxious like...Minions or something. And it wasn't as forgettable as something like Secret Life of Pets. It had some charm and appeal, I even chuckled a few times throughout the movie. And the visuals were pretty nice, especially compared to Illumination's usual bland "cut corners wherever possible" animation.

It was weird to me that the Grinch was essentially Gru. He felt more like a prankster than a grumpy old man. I never saw the Grinch as a guy who wanted to get a rise out of people, just a cantankerous guy who wanted to be left alone. I guess they wanted to make Grinch more nuanced than that, but it was tricky figuring out what his characterization was supposed to be. He was pretty nice to his dog, and sometimes seemed to have a heart. But other times he's very cold and more like classic Grinch. It was weird and inconsistent.

Overall I think I'd give it a mild recommendation. It's far less good than the original, but still watchable and enjoyable at times.

The Man Who Invented Christmas - 8.5/10

This is a really great movie about Charles Dickens writing Christmas Carol. Throughout the movie Dickens talks to his characters, which is a really fun touch, and it lets us get into his brain better. I have no idea how accurate this is to real-life, but I find the movie quite entertaining and compelling. Definitely gets a recommendation, especially if you like Charles Dickens' work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I re watched all of the Star Wars episodes to prepare for Rise of Skywalker. In the end my feelings for the movies didn’t change.

Phantom Menace 6/10 Jar Jar is the worst part. Some of the acting and dialogue is really bad too and that’s a common issue in the prequels. But Maul is cool, Qui Gon is cool, Obi Wan is the best thing out of this trilogy and pod racers were neat.

Attack of the Clones 5/10 boring as hell, love story sucks. The final act is the only good part.

Revenge of the Sith 7.5/10
    Best Prequel, action is great but final lightsaber battle is silly and stupid at times

A New Hope 8/10
    It’s the one that started it all. Has it’s moments of awkward dialogue and acting but not prequel bad.

Empire Stikes Back 9/10
    To me this is the movie that truly made the Star Wars universe feel grand and big.

Return of the Jedi 8/10
    Great conclusion and maybe the series should have ended here. We will see soon.

The Force Awakens 8/10
    Ya it’s nothing new but it’s a fun good time and refreshing after the prequels. Sadly we never got the original band back together and Luke’s role was disappointing.

The Last Jedi 8/10
    I don’t see most of the hate. Finn story sucked but that’s all I didn’t like. Again I didn’t like that Luke didn’t have much interaction with other characters besides Rey and Kylo Ren. Also this has my favorite lightsaber scene with the throne room.

• Like Like x 1
  12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Daddy's Home: 8/10

Actually funny and charming. The kids loved it.

13. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    found the Austin Powers trilogy on Netflix and decided to see how they held up:

*International Man of Mystery- 8/10. This one still holds together pretty well I think; it's a well paced comedy but also has a few moments of genuine pathos. Some of the references are pretty dated but a couple others are just timeless.

*Spy Who Shagged Me- 6/10. really delves more into the gross humor element than last time & suffers as a result; but it does have some great physical comedy moments.

*Goldmember- 3/10. feels like almost everyone had completely checked out by this point; all the jokes are just retakes of stuff from the past or lampshades on stuff from the past. only one in the cast worth a damn is probably Michael Caine.

14. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

That was the most boring part to me. Clearly we all know who was going to win it. So..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  15. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    6 Underground - 3/10

16. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Banned

Die Hard (1988) on UltraHD 4K BD:
    The Quintessential holiday action classic! it also looks phenomenal on UltraHD 4K on the 4K UltraHD version which has brimming great coloring and detail.

Inspired by the book Nothing Last Forever, the character of Joe Leland was changed to John McClane which was a nice move to create it's own character and have no connection to The Detective book/movie. Arnold, Stallone, Don Johnson, Harrison Ford, Richard Dean Anderson and more were offered the role of John McClane then Bruce Willis got the part, yet he was mostly known for comedic roles but this was his first time to flex his muscles to show he can be an action hero and this is what made Bruce the action star he became since. From November 1987 to March 1988, it was a labor of love from director John McTieren and company of special effects, stunt work and filming in Fox Plaza which would be used as the building for the movie. This also brought the career of Alan Rickman in his feature film debut and what a debut on film it was.

It became a box-office smash in the summer of 1988 and earned acclaimed as it changed the way action films were made and became a public favorite. I remembered seeing this in theaters with my mom, dad and 13 year old big brother when i was 6 and we all dug it and i watched it on VHS then DVD then blu-ray as a Christmas tradition every december.

The screenplay is just pure dynamite and the stunts with practical effects are top notch even the performances by the cast even Bruce Willis when he was charismatic as him with John McClane were a match made in heaven, brisk pacing, terrific direction and balls to the wall action. What is there to say, it's a masterpiece that continues to be one of the quintssential action films of all time.

5 out of 5 stars, nothing more.

Christmas Evil (aka You Better Watch out) (1980) on blu-ray: I always enjoyed this slowburn interesting psychological horror thriller that is misleaded advertised as a slasher film when it's a Taxi Driver style character study and i remembered renting it when i was 10 on video.

It's about a guy who grew up obsessed with Santa Claus and believes he is him, yet some people and workers at his place pick on him and he snaps on Christmas eve as he dresses up as Santa to give presents to good boys and girls even murders/punishes the bad adults who treated him like dirt.

Brandon Maggart’s powerhouse performance is the lynch pin of the film’s pros. It’s both captivating, full of genuine joy and terrifying insanity. It’s one of the best showings of a man going through a mental breakdown I have ever seen on film. There were times during the movie, where I absolutely felt that Maggart wasn’t acting. I genuinely believed he was off his rocker. When he hums “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” in such menacing tone? The hairs on the back of my neck shoot straight up. The Direction by Lewis Jackson is very nice i should say and it does have a nice story to it.

The ending is what hurts this movie and makes me go "huh" everytime i see it but wish it ended better. But still a solid Christmas horror film.

The 4K scan is terrific on the restoration from the original negative and fine extras too.

3 and a half stars.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

How to train your dragon 3. 3/10 for the beginning, I was so bored I fell asleep. 8/10 for the last 1/3.

18. NSJ23

NSJ23 on TFW2005 for everything but TF's....

lazy Sunday Star Wars OT marathon
    A new hope 9/10
    Empire strikes back 10/10
    Return of the Jedi 8/10 (ewoks still bug me)

I like Boba but he is like i have said before 100% equal with Phasma i.e. in the films he and she didn't do shit but have a cool outfit.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Klaus - 10/10

It's a masterpiece.

20. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    I think the movie is reasonably entertaining enough. To address the biggest problems; I think it was the pacing of how things were set followed up by the absurdity of some things (like the eco-terrorism plot line). While I didn't note any of the acting to be bad; some of the character arcs came across a little too generic. Though I think the family dynamic between Kyle Chandler; Millie Bobby Brown and Vera Farmiga was great. A lot of stuff in this movie actually made reflect back to what Godzilla 2014 actually got right in terms of realism. I mean, I get that you want more of the kaiju fights but some neat set up would have been helpful.

However, I will pass this off for some entertaining fight scenes and epic monster shots (though the flashy radiation visuals got a little annoying towards the end as if the movie is trying to be as epic as possible). I think it serves its purpose decently. Aside from some cool visuals; I think Bear McCreary made an incredible score that blends the classic Godzilla music with some nice orchestra. Basically, it's a big-budget monster movie; alright.

6/10

Ready or Not

An enjoyable thriller made this year. It's fun and worth checking out. Also thank god; this movie makes it clear which era this takes place in. That's one thing in horror that can be overlooked. After watching this movie; I am looking forward to Samara Weaving as Scarlett in the upcoming Snake Eyes movie. She definitely can pull off the fighter stance well from what was presented here.

Don't mistake this for a Blumhouse production by the way.

7/10

John Wick: Chapter 2
    A bigger sequel that's just about a little better or equal with its original predecessor. Stunning cinematography; awesome music (Plastic Heart) all give more style to the action in this movie. Plus the insight into the assassin world was intriguing. Loved it pretty much.

9/10

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2