The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Fright Night (1985):
    [​IMG]
    Another recommended to watch and it's another vampire movie. Though this one is a bit refreshing since it l vampire rules a little bit loosely than usual (We need more vampire movies that don't stick to the traditional ways). The Vincent Price parody character was great and easily the best character in the movie next to Evil.

8/10

2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Saw this for the first time last night. Just like the first film, I just don't get the hype. I always felt the first film was massively overrated, and this is more of the same. Entertaining, sure, but immediately forgettable.
    It doesn't even bother to throw some red herrings in there about the villain's true identity...
    except for the pizza boy for a few minutes until he starts wondering what's going on. There's 2 new supporting characters, and one of them is bound to be the villain. Sure enough, there you go. Yawn.

3. SHINOBI03

WarGames:
    [​IMG]
    Saw this years ago and I wanted to see it again. And wow, it is amazing how it's both dated and relevant at the same time. The computer technology of course is dated as hell but the super AI and online hacking are so relevant for the modern age. Young Matthew Broderick's acting though... and you'd think he got better as her got older and more experienced...

8/10

4. SHINOBI03

Lord of the Flies (1990):
    [​IMG]
    The acting here is much better than the stilted acting of the original movie, so here the kids are much frighting and the death scenes are more heartbreaking. But the original movie had a creepier atmosphere to back it up, especially being in black & white. This version didn't put much focus on the monster and we didn't get a parachutist to give us the "fly" in "Lord of the Flies".

7.5/10

5. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

This movie was... an experience. Essentially, Jason suddenly becomes a body hopping demon who can be reborn through a relative and also only killed by one. The plot is pretty simple, but they still manage to screw it up. Jason kills his sister early on in his quest to not be killed (don't ask me why he didn't do this during the time period of the other movies) and just leaves her but later on uses her dead body to be reborn, meaning he didn't need to try to possess his niece or grandniece. There is also a super random character who has an unexplained personal beef with Jason and is central to the plot. The Necronomicon shows up for no reason too.

So, in short the lore is muddy and contradictory of itself. Also, what happened to Jason's face? It's an unnecessary detail that only further messes with this film's continuity, which isn't to say that continuity wasn't already a lost cause in the franchise.

3/10

Trick 'r Treat

This is by far my favorite of the horror installments in this post. It is this neat sort-of anthology with a continuity and crossover between stories. It's a good subversion of genre conventions that pushes aside the problem with anthology movies wherein they need to interrupt the flow and take you back to the narrator. There are a lot of subversions of expectations in this movie with its different takes on werewolves, zombies and serial killers along with introducing a character that suits the season very well. There is some dark humor to be had in this film, which again suits the season.

Hard to believe the hack behind Godzilla: King of the Monsters was behind this. 7/10

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

This is a neat little anthology with good effects and some pretty creative elements. I was always a fan of the TV series and from what I can tell, this movie captures the feel of it pretty well. There is a grim atmosphere throughout the segments and they are pretty varied. The issue mostly is that the dialogue is at times pretty campy and/or unnatural. Then, the wraparound story might have been better served as a simple narration considering that it was mostly irrelevant to the horror and was resolved pretty easily while being derivative of Hansel and Gretel.

Halloween: Resurrection

Its predecessor — Halloween: Water — had its issues keeping a creepy atmosphere and trying to not feel like a teen drama, but this movie has so many other scenes. For whatever reason, this movie takes us to a group of people with no prior emotional attachment to who are filming some kind of Ghost Hunters thing in the old Myers place, whom all pretty much fill some kind of slasher movie cliché. There is some out of place comedy involving Michael and super goofy fight scenes with a guy who seems immortal as Michael. 3/10

Hocus Pocus

Not going to lie, this is one of my favorite movies. It is goofy, family friendly fun with characters that aren't maybe that deep but they are certainly entertaining. There is a feeling of familial affection between Max and Dani with the two's bickering and crass commentary of each other while also often pulling through and not liking to see the other sad. They're both a bit selfish, but that's a pretty realistic take on kids as is Dani's overall bluntness and vulgarity.

The witches, with their hammy delivery and silly demeanor are naturally the main appeal for some. They offer quite a few dark elements that I feel are underappreciated, such as child death, hangings, cannibalism. This combined with their overall behavior serves to make them balanced antagonists for a family movie.

Another noteworthy element is the look of this film. It's, frankly, gorgeous for this kind of movie. The costumes are all well designed and the sets. I haven't been there, but his movie makes Salem look like a premier sightseeing destination with its colorful autumn environments featuring grassy hills littered with leaves and pleasant building designs. The house Max and Dani live in is especially notable on this front.

There are complaints, mostly because the romance element is very forced. There is no chemistry between Max and his love interest and they don't interact all that much before deciding that they were interested in each other. But this is definitely something that happens with teenagers, so I can't complain too much.

8/10

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wonder Woman Bloodlines - 5/10

It gets a 5 because of the voice actors involved but that's basically it. Very boring.

7. SHINOBI03

Let the Right One In:
    [​IMG]
    Okay, how many vampire movies have I seen already? This one was another one I was recommended to watch and it's also the first Swedish movie I've ever seen.

Story is not that unique. It's a boy who befriends a vampire girl living next door, however instead of having the girl murdering random people (mostly), they show us her father being the one doing the killing to bring her the blood. It would be a nice change and shows us the girl in a more sympathetic look, but it was dropped to have her being a monster. There wasn't much scares here and the focus was more on the romance between the boy and the girl and the troubles they were having with one having to deal with bullies and the other dealing with her condition believing it to be an illness instead of being a vampire.

Not sure how the American adaptation is, but this one I'd say was a okay.

7/10

8. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

Joker - 10/10

Finally saw it. Wow. Masterpiece. Major Taxi Driver vibes. Poignant commentary about society. Beautiful score and cinematography. Phoenix’s acting is next level. Easily on par with Ledger’s Joker. Kinda unfair to compare them because one has an entire movie and origin story, the other is a supporting character.
    I totally understand how dejected Arthur felt, but just like Walter White, there’s a fine line between being angry at your lot in life and wanting justice, and becoming a monster.
    Think this might go in my top 10 of all time. Not sure yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Zombieland Double Tap - 9/10

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Zombieland - 9/10
    Rule #42 Always rewatch the original before you plan on seeing a sequel.

11. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Oliver & Company - 7/10
    Underrated Disney classic. Last film before the renaissance with Little Mermaid. Some good music. Good voice cast. Billy Joel, Dom DeLuise, cheech Marin, Bette Middler, Robert Loggia, etc.

Haven't seen this in about 30 years. Picked it up on Blu-ray from amazon for $5 a week ago.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yesterday - 8/10

Definitely worth seeing and entertaining.

13. SHINOBI03

Night of the Living Dead (1990):
    [​IMG]
    Excellent remake, but I feel the original cast gave a better performance than here. Barbara was an improvement though.

8/10

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Prince of Egypt - 8.5/10

This was the first time I've seen this movie, and I thought it was excellent. Fun (and gorgeous) animation, a great voice cast, great songs, and a great telling of the Moses story. As someone who's religious (I obviously won't get deeper into that here), this movie really worked for me, I thought it stayed true to the spirit of the story, and it has something for everyone, regardless of your beliefs.

I'm honestly not a huge Dreamworks fan, they tend to cram in a lot of potty/lowbrow jokes and whatnot. But this movie mostly avoided that, and had a very serious tone, which is kind of rare to see in animated movies. This movie made me long for a return of classic hand-drawn animation. I really miss it.

This is also one of the few animated movies that (in my opinion) completely earns it's PG rating (along with something like Transformers: The Movie). This has actual adult content and themes, whereas something like Despicable Me or Wreck it Ralph is basically just G with a few innuendos/cartoon violence/emotional scenes, stuff like that. (And I love those movies...I just don't think stuff like that should be PG. Save the PG rating for stuff with a little more edge...swearing, actual death/darkness, etc).

The Price of Egypt gets a solid recommendation from me.

Charlotte's Web (2006) - 8/10

I recall seeing this in theaters when I was very young. I watched the old cartoon all the time growing up. This is a really enjoyable telling of the story, and a really sweet movie in general. The effects were legitimately good (with a couple exceptions)...to the point that it was hard to tell when the animals were fully CGI modes and when they were real/partially real. The stunts were the most noticeably fake. But I didn't notice any weird blurring around the mouths or anything. Stuff like the rat and the spider were obviously 100% CGI, but they still looked believable. And more importantly...their designs and movement is charming.

I would give Charlotte's Web a solid recommendation too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Disney's 'Dark age', is actually quite a wonderful age. So love it. Especially Oliver and Company. Great film. I watched it myself a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
  16. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I never said they were bad films. They are forgotten if anything. I did enjoy O&C. I need to see more from this age. When Disney+ comes out I will look for more ones like this. It is sad that this is forgotten because it deserves better.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus A Prime a day keeps the doctor away

News Credits:
    Joker (saw it last week): 10/10

Leaves Ledger's Joker in the dust.

18. SHINOBI03

Candyman:
    [​IMG]
    You know, when someone says "Candyman", a normal looking black guy with a hook hand in a pimp coat is not the first thing that comes to mind...
    Anyway this movie is good. I knew this character is a talking slasher and I expected something closer to Freddy's attitude, but man is Tony Todd's voice scary it's almost otherworldly.

8.5/10

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I never said you said that either. Where did you get that from?

20. rattrap007

News Credits:
    You brought up the "dark age" being great. It sounded more like a correction.