The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School

This is an odd little entry into the Scooby-Doo franchise, at least for those not familiar with the Mystery crew's run-ins with real monsters or the time they trimmed Fred, Velma and Daphne. Here we have a trio — Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy — sign up to be coaches at a school conspicuously missing other teachers for monster kids. And it milks that for all its worth. They also have a funny little Chihuahua-sized, pig-nosed dragon along for the ride where it proves to be shockingly OP (like, the kids wouldn't be safe without this thing.) Special mention goes to the kid who cackles like quite a few of the series' signature ghosts.

If the franchise had better people working on it, I would be up for a sequel involving those new girls to see what humor can come from them. Godzilla's daughter there can actually chill with Gillman's daughter underwater.

7/10

Bumblebee

Forgive me for saying this because it absolutely is blasphemy, but Transformers is crap when it comes to storytelling potential. There are too many hurtles to make an emotionally compelling story, simply put.

This movie gets by knowing about that. The Transformers stuff is good because it does pretty much all you can without breaking into tired Bayhem but this movie gets by on telling an all too human story.

Essentially, this movie is about a teen who is surly and emotional for very good reason while everyone around her is a jackass except for the person who helps her heal. That person so happens to be a Shaq-sized alien robot. I actually ended up wanting an action figure of the former more than the latter.

One of my problems with the movie do stand on how it has to be an action film and because of that, things were compromised. The biggest example is how Bumblebee broke into Charlie's house for literally no reason with no prior build-up just so we can have the climax. The designs of the robots are inconsistent — sometimes really nice to look at, other times unintentionally creepy and others just plain ugly or like they should have had another go through the concept stage. Optimus Prime is still way OP and that's never going to be fixed

Also, everyone outside of Charlie is pretty annoying. There's this guy who's there so she can have dialogue with somebody — he could have been someone she knew but instead he spotted her at the boardwalk, got a boner, and was roped in because of it. Her family was prodding her to smile at the beginning as if her dad hadn't fucking died of a heart attack. They swoop in during the climax to try to redeem themselves but all the cushy stuff just felt like we were supposed to see Charlie as in the wrong. Bumblebee and Mr. Horny did more work than Charlie's own family in helping her through tough times, and the tease of them getting squished didn't fix that. Fuck these guys. If it weren't for the turm John Cena was corny too.

5.6/10

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Rambo Marathon
    First Blood (1982) - John Rambo/10
    Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) - 8/10
    Rambo III (1988) - 5/10
    Rambo (2007) - 7/10
    Rambo: Last Blood (2019) - 8/10

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Charlie Wilson's War - 9/10

Well acted, well paced and interesting but I will say about this what I did about The Big Short. I understand the movie streamlines, combines and dramatizes certain aspects to craft a working narrative. Some characters may be different, or amalgamations of several. However if even half of this movie is accurate........fuck me dead, wow.

4. wander

wander Active Member

I watched Venom. Quite liked it. Reminds me of my illness. And Hobbs and Shaw. I like all the actors even if its cheesy. Both 8/10

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I may have to try tracking this film down then. Sounds like it'd be a nice turn on the Scooby tropes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blood Creek (2006)--6.5/10.

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I JUST saw BUMBLEBEE movie last night and WOW i loved it. Ya know at parts of the movie it kinda pulls at your heart and emotional aspects of real life. I thought about what 1987 was like for me and all the nods that the director used. As well all the things in general like the tapes and records. I really liked the movie and i can see where the next movie will go and just WHO it might include next.

Rate EASILY 10/10 for me

8. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The Saga of Tanya The Evil movie:
    I loved the series when it came out, and was really anticipating the movie knowing it's not a recap movie. And it was magnificent. Mary Sue was a beast and the battles were amazingly animated.

9/10

9. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

Spider-man far from home 8/10 it was so funny and I needed a good laugh.

10. SHINOBI03

Eyes Wide Shut:
    From my understanding this was Kibrick's last movie, and some even debates the final version we got wasn't even completed. Does it take from the movie? Maybe, a little. I knew I was going into this expecting the erotic themes despite it not really my thing, but *that* scene was the most well talked scenes among movie buffs and some of it was used in some conspiracy theory videos as stand-ins for the Illuminati, but I was still not comfortable watching it. But after the orgy scene, I thought the movie went to halt not knowing where to go next, with no payoff or a satisfying conclusion. A Kubrick movie I may not go back to it anytime soon.

6.5/10

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Never answer a question with another question. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    It Chapter II: Just saw this and really really loved it. And that's coming from someone that always felt the adult portion was the weaker part of the story, but they updated and changed things in a way that made it interesting while keeping the things that did work. I also enjoyed the final against Pennywise so much better in this than the 90's mini-series. Plus they didn't skip the Ritual of Chod (sp?) this time. Only negative is... where's my Maturin?!

12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toy Story 4
    It was good, I'll say that. One of the amazing things about this movie was that there were certain shots in the movie that did make you think for a moment if it was real life photography and it really could shock you how far Pixar has come in terms of animating their films. That being said,the previous films still hold good though for their time.

As for the story itself, it was good but I think maybe this was the first time the story in a Toy Story movie got me bugged in a few areas. To be fair, there's no need to actually watch the other films since you get caught up with happened in the past; which is what good sequels can do. They stand on their own. To get my problems out of the way; I don't know why Bonnie isn't interested in Woody anymore and it kind of compromises what Andy did in the previous film. Bo Peep's characterisation when compared to the previous films was like a sudden change at first as opposed to the ladylike and romantic character she was in 1 and 2. I feel they could have done better with characterising her in the beginning of the movie. Finally, certain moments in the story felt plodding like, 'Oh no, we gotta get Forky' or 'Oh no, we gotta get to Bonnie' or 'Oh no, I gotta find Bo Peep'. Basically Woody feels like he's getting his string pulled at every corner.

On the other hand, I understood that the movie was going for the theme of happiness and a toy's desire to give that to their owners. It was explored rather effectively and the emotional beats as a result paid off. The new characters in the film were pretty enjoyable; though it is a pity that characters like Rex get side-tracked. Nevertheless, I still kept myself invested with the events. The thing about this movie is that it's following from Toy Story 3 which felt like one of those story ends that doesn't need continuing and it's understandable to be cynical for the continuation. But in the end, it was able to justify itself well that it also kept the door open for the next story whatever that may be.

Overall, a fun movie.

8/10

13. SHINOBI03

Fences:
    You know this scene?

If you've watched it without knowing the full context you'd assume Cory (the son) is ungrateful to his father and Troy (the father) is in the right to call him out and some would make you think he's giving some tough love or he's secretly loving him in the inside. Well, that's not the case here. Troy, the father is a big time jerk and doesn't deserve any sympathy from you. He's and arrogant, selfish, and dirty man who thinks he had done nothing wrong and blames everything whenever something doesn't go his way and he got the full right to sabotage his son's life just because he grew up under bad conditions. That's not a good father, that's a terrible person.

Wish I could see the James Earl Jones version of the entire play. I'm not gonna call this movie terrible because it's far from that, but James Earl Jones's performance is just commanding you to give him your full attention.

8/10

14. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    With Spidey back in the MCU and since I now own FFH on digital, I decided to watch it again. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time but it's still great! Homecoming is still better in my opinion

Spider-Man: Far From Home - 8/10

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Abominable:

Saw it yesterday, out of the three yeti/bigfoot animated movies to come out in the last year, it's probably the weakest. It's biggest issue is that the Yeti has super powers that gets them out of basically any trouble, it seem like there is no weight to the dire situation they are in. Being chased by people who want to catch the yeti, and kill the kids. Yeti is basically a gigantic undo-button for their mistakes.

Also, a better title would have been "There's a Yeti on my roof!"

I still like it, but it is clearly the weakest of the three. I think Smallfoot was the strongest. And, Missing Link is in the middle. With Missing Link having the best animation out of the three. But, a weaker story than Smallfoot. Speaking of which, Smallfoot and Missing Link are also terrible titles. I would have called them "Yeti or Not." or "Hide and Go Yeti," For Smallfoot, and Missing Link would be "To Catch a Yeti." Yes, they should have all been named Yeti puns.

Also, other than the magic, Abominable has a very similar plot to Missing Link.

Also I'm really confused on just how old the main character is supposed to be. In some cases she looks and acts like a college student. In other cases, it's more like she's 10. Which one is it? Is she a college student, or is Mom still tucking her in at night, like she's under 10? Also, she dresses a heck a lot like Penny from Bolt.

But, with all that said, I liked it way better than the majority of the other animated films this year. From Disney, WB, and Dreamworks. I liked it better than Toy Story 4, How To Train Your Dragon 3, and Lego 2. But, in my opinion, Wonder Park is still the best animated movie of this year, and by far my favorite. It had way more creativity and imagination in it than any other film this year. Something I value most in films.

I give the film a C. 7 out of 10.

16. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Ad Astra.

Visuals were incredible and though the story felt a little empty, I didn't mind too much because I could relate to what was there. I'd give it a 7/10 I think.

17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Sign of Zorro (1958) - 7/10

This movie is the first 13 episodes of the old serial condensed into about 90 minutes. While I appreciate the effort, it really pales in comparison to the show (which I'm a huge fan of, as my avatar shows). The upside is that the first 13 episodes are easily the highlight of the entire series. The downside is that a lot of the show's personality is lost, in favor of focusing on the more serious aspects of the plot. There's a lot of great humor (including my favorite joke) that got cut from this movie, along with character stuff. We don't get to spend as long in this world, or get to know the characters as well. It's a decent abridged version, but it lacks most of the charm. If I had seen this without seeing the show first, I don't think I would have become a fan.

Unfortunately, this is the only version of this show that's currently available in an official capacity, which is a real shame. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on any old Zorro DVD/VHS's (which are out-of-print), definitely watch it that way. Or watch unofficial uploads (Dailymotion and whatnot, which are incomplete and grainy, sadly). You'll definitely be more satisfied. But if you do that, definitely make sure you pay $3 on Amazon for this movie after you watch the shows. We want to show Disney that there's a demand for Zorro, so we can get official releases.

So I give this a mild recommendation, but only after you watch the show (which gets a strong recommendation, if you can track it down).

18. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Child’s Play (reboot)

6/10 It was alright. Decent reimagining. His face was really cringy though. They could’ve designed him better.

19. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The Angry Birds Movie - 8.5/10

My dad actually recommended it after watching it on FX. It actually didn’t disappoint.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A League of Their Own - 10/10
    Watching with commentary. Classic film. I'm also a bit biased. A lot of it was film locally. My home town was used as the home field for the Racine Belles. Any time you see the ball field with the brick out field wall and a white building behind it that says Crawford Doors, that is Bosse Field in Evansville. The red house they players stay at is across the river in Henderson Ky. The Rockford Peaches stadium was built for the film in Huntingberg In about 30 miles away. A kid I was in grade/middle school with is in the film. When Tom Hanks gives the kid the autograph, the kid who says "Wow" was a class mate.

Also we hate Madonna. She said that Evansville was like Prague. The house she stayed in didn't have MTV.