The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Detective Pikachu - 7/10

By far the best video game adaptation film yet, totally kept faithful to the source material in every way even through it's rather insane plot (the cubone bit in the beginning involves a line that makes no sense whatsoever UNLESS you know what Cubone's pokedex entry states from the games proper). The plot itself is not entirely clear regarding the actions of one character but the film simply doesnt have a plot otherwise so its permissible.

2. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just re-watched The Batman (1989) this was my favorite moment of the movie when Bruce Wayne and Joker met in person while he was not in the Batsuit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    Kubo and the Two Strings-7/10 Damn. I thought my family was dysfunctional. This was beautifully animated and has most of the makings of a true traditional fairytale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    The Good Dinosaur - 6.5/10

I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I did the first time around. My main problem with the Good Dinosaur is that it's very generic. It's essentially The Land Before Time crossed with Disney's Dinosaur (2000). And a lot of aspects from other animal movies, like Lion King. I could see someone like Illumination or Sony putting out something of this caliber, but this is really uninspired for Pixar. It's weird that something this paint-by-the-numbers was made by them. Pixar is known for it's extremely creative and sometimes mind-bending stories. This came out the same year as Inside Out, one of the most bizarre and out-there animated movies ever. Maybe they wanted to follow that up with something safer? I don't know. They could have done so much more with this.

Basically the only "gimmick" here is the boy that acts like a puppy dog (and the idea of dinosaurs using tools...but they don't do much with that). Cute idea, but it's not enough to justify this movie's existence. It needed more oomph. I kind of like the road-trip vibe, but the scenarios they encounter aren't that memorable. This movie probably should have been reworked, or just scrapped completely (or maybe been Pixar's first direct-to-video).

But as I said, I did enjoy it more this time. The soundtrack was great, and the environments were beautiful. I'd put it alongside Pixar's lesser movies, like Monsters University. Maybe a bit higher, actually. It's a "nicer" watch and less annoying. I don't think it's as terrible as a lot of people make it out to be (I'd certainly rather watch it over most Illumination movies), but its existence is mostly just baffling to me.

The Secret Life of Pets 2 - 6.5/10

I'm honestly surprised I enjoyed the sequel this much. That's not to say I love it, but it's a major step up from the first. While I didn't laugh at all during the first movie, I laughed several times here. Mostly at the cat lady stuff. There were some good visual gags. I also really enjoyed Harrison Ford's character. I think it was also helped by the fact that the characters had already been established, so they didn't have to waste time doing that, or waste time on a cliche plot about two people who hate each other becoming friends . Now they can actually do stuff with the characters. It's not any sort of classic, but the fact that it wasn't an unwatchable nightmare is pretty impressive, considering it came from Illumination. Probably my second favorite after the first Despicable Me (although still not half as good). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but maybe check out the cat lady scene on YouTube. Especially if you love cats.

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Get Out - 9/10

6. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Promare - 8/10

Saw TRigger's first attempt at an anime movie at the local theater due to Fathom Events showing it. Talk about mind blowing but that's what one expects from Trigger studios. The story and cast may start out as cliche but trust me it does get more complicated later on which I dig. The action sequences of course are a sight to behold on the silver screen too. :D  If you get the chance to see this in theaters do so. You won't regret it especially if one's a fan of Trigger's anime works.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1976 pilot for Charlie's Angels. Not bad for 70s tv. Also has a guest star of Tommy Lee Jones. Even young he looks craggy and old.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I say give Bumblebee a watch, rent it at like Redbox for a dollar. You'll at least get a dollar worth of entertainment out of it. It is a lot better in most ways than the other Transformer movies. They made the right decision focusing on just one Transformer they can make a quality story with, rather than dozens tossed in on the screen. It's worth at least a dollar. Or, just wait for it to come on a streaming service you already have, or whatever.

I paid 6 bucks to see it in theaters, and got enough entertainment to justify the price. There are problems with the movie, and it isn't super great, but it is worth watching at least once.

10. Sixwing

Sixwing A three-in-one villain that's chillin'!

I really enjoyed it myself. It was definitely worth watching.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Its worth at least one watch.

12. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

I guess that I will watch Bumblebee sooner or later, then. I accidentally deleted my Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island thoughts in my early morning haze, so here they are again (slightly revised):

This movie actually made sleep slightly harder for the slasher movie aficionado buddy who watched it with me. Most of that was probably just seeing the Scooby crew nearly melt like wax while alive from Voodoo magic.

Watching the original cartoon so shortly before this allowed me to appreciate it more than I think I would have. Seeing the crew matured and in snazzy new outfits when compared to their less cynical and more bumbling younger selves was pretty fun. Scooby had stayed remarkably consistent character wise from the sixties to the seventies and so had Velma to a degree. Scooby got into many funny antics — a goofball as always. Daphne was interesting for once.

Animation was really top quality. It's the only Scooby-Doo I have seen so far which has captured the grainy, moon-lit quality that makes Where Are You? stand out in such a way that likely lead this franchise to become as big as it has. From what I remember, this movie lead to a Scooby resurrection and I think the look as well as the shake up that it provided was what propelled the franchise forward (and unfortunately it's influence trailed off, leading to cookie cutter DTV movies and bland crossovers.)

This movie does things different from the old show in subtle but notable ways: Fred isn't the "leader", they're following Daphne's lead; Scooby and Shaggy don't get bribed with Scooby Snacks to do something possibly life threatening; the crew doesn't so much as split up and look for clues as circumstances put them in different places. It's all good and it makes them better to watch. Of course, there are the big differences...

The whole real monsters thing. This isn't actually new to the franchise at all with the group bumping into real monsters throughout the franchise's lifespan. What is new is that this is the closest to Scooby-Doo ever being "scary" (unlike the narmy mess that was Mystery Incorporated show.) If I were to have to choose any way for the Mystery Machine's passengers to have discovered real monsters, this would most certainly be it. Just the reveal and ensuing chase scene alone is extremely memorable. These are the best looking monsters in all of Scooby-Doo. Not even its immediate follow ups compare.

This gives Scooby-Doo a real cinematic-style experience, gives us charming characters and a real shake up. I enjoyed it a lot but don't feel comfortable putting it up there with Alien or The Shining. I'll say 8.1/10 for now.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Edwardmus, being a Scooby knowledgeable prerson, have you seen the Supernatural crossover? Fantastic portrayal of the gang. Sticking them in a situation where they couldn't deny that all of these creatures are real. Even going so far as to have Shaggy actually have an injury when doing one of his infamous calamity inducing stunts because reality was seeping into their cartoon world due to the Winchester brothers being there and informing them of true truths as they saw them. I found it a really great take on Scooby.

It also came at a great time for a somewhat humorous break from the darkness that was pervading Supernatural at the time.

As for Bumblebee: It's a coming of age story for both the lead human and Bumblebee himself. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. And there are a few moments that are so over-the-top cliche that you almost wonder if they didn't steal parts of the script from an online story generator for teen drama. That said, it was fun to watch. I wouldn't rush out to buy myself a copy, and haven't, but it's definitely worth a one time viewing. Just don't go in with huge expectations and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

14. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Been a while since I have seen Scoobynatural but yes, I have seen it and I enjoyed it a lot. By far the most organic and best crossover in the franchise as of late. One thing I didn't really like all that much was the gang apparently having a preexisting idea of Hell simply because that sort of clashed with the innocence of the cartoon characters as presented in the episode. Also did not like Velma's voice.

It does have things in common with Zombie Island, in a sense. The subversion of cartoon tropes and the crew having a bit of an unpleasant first experience with the supernatural. It was pretty fun. However, keeping in the spirit of the thread: if I were to pick one, I would pick Zombie Island over it and give it a 7.7. This is going by memory, of course.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus A Prime a day keeps the doctor away

News Credits:
    Rambo - Last Blood: 8/10

Not as good as the last Rambo, but pretty darn entertaining.

16. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

Ad Astra - 9.5/10

I love space, and working in the industry has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember, so I may be slightly biased here, but PLEASE see this movie.

Please see this movie. It deserves every one of your dollars. It is so beautifully shot, the music is eerie and epic at the same time, and the plot is compelling. Admittedly it is a slow burn, but it’s a worthwhile experience. Brad Pitt does such a good job as the protagonist - he’s stoic and calm, but his voiceovers will resonate with everyone at least a little bit. There’s some heavy 2001: A Spaceman Odyssey vibes at times, which is cool. There’s good commentary on parent-child relations too that will appeal to everyone, some more so than others. This is now one of my favorite movies of all time. Certainly belongs in the top echelon of best space movies. Does it beat Interstellar for me? Ehhh probably not, but it’s very close. It explores some overlapping themes, but in a different way.

Do yourself a favor and please see this movie, so it helps show Hollywood that Disney doesn’t have to reap all the rewards in Hollywood. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Marvel and the MCU, but movies like Ad Astra cannot afford to be pushed by the way side. The takeaways from the ending are poignant yet beautiful.

17. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    Aladdin - 6.5/10

Will Smith carried this movie. Everything else was just so lackluster and meh. Naomi Scott is beautiful though.

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Rambo: Last Blood.
    Wonderfully violent revenge action film. Need more of these. It's not perfect, but it sure was a blast!

I give it a B, 8 out of 10. Highly recommended!

PS, if you come across the ending montage on the highlights of all the films, on You Tube, or whatever, and haven't seen this movie yet, don't watch it. (If you care about avoiding spoilers.) It spoils the movie. I'm sure it's going to end up on You Tube quite soon.

• Like Like x 2
  19. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Oooooh.. Yeahhhhh.... I'm sorta gonna disagree with you a bit on that... I think it is an ok movie.. like a 7-ish. I get what they were doing with it.. all of his internalization and how he grew as a person through the journey and such. But it DID drag on and I started dozing off in parts. Granted I have slept like 4 hours in the past 2 days, lol. Still.. it says a lot when the majority of the people in my theater were like... okay?

• Like Like x 1
  20. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Space Marathon
    Gravity (2013) - Chuck Norris/10
    Interstellar (2014) - 6/10