The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I love Josie and the Pussycats. That movie is way better than it had any right at all to be. And as a musician the recording studio antics cracked me up because, while some of it seems superficially satirical, they were shockingly accurate with the mechanics of it.

I really need to revisit that at some point. I don't think my wife remembers it with the fondness I do, so I try not to watch it more than every couple years, but I do still enjoy the heck out of it every time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tprime

Tprime Well-Known Cybertronian

Such an underrated film... I love that movie. Not only was Karl Urban great as Dredd, I really enjoyed Olivia Thirlby as Anderson and they had a great on-screen dynamic together. I really wish this film would have caught on and for them to have made more. There's so many more stories that could come out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

Disney’s Hercules
    9/10

I know Hercules is basically considered the black sheep of the Disney Renaissance period. But I love it. I love the art style, the gospel soundtrack, the witty script, and the characters of Megara and Hades are great. It’s one of my favorite Disney movies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @UndertakerPrime I think Hades is great. Not a fan of the movie myself, but Hades is awesome.

5. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It Chapter 2.
    9/10.
    Emotionally draining.
    I can understand some criticisms, but I could care less.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Just saw Transcendence again, I gotta give it a 10/10.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They're still working on the tv series as far as I know. But yeah, Urban was surprisingly decent as Dredd. Visually, I would have liked something a little closer to Mike McMahon or Cam Kennedy's vision of Mega-City One, and a little more of the dark humor and social satire of the Wagner/Grant days, but it wasn't a bad movie at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Dredd is one of the few films released within the passed decade I've had the desire to see many times after the first viewing. Most are just one and done, but not Dredd. Dredd is, never enough. Wonderful film. Although, visually speaking, I do prefer the other Judge Dredd in terms of looks. (And, looks only.) It was way more colorful, and futuristic. While Dredd looked just like any big city, just with large mega towers pasted in.

Now if only someone can take the Dredd movie, and put it together with the visuals of the Judge Dredd movie, it'd be a perfect film.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

The secret life of pets 1/10. I watched 30 minutes of it and couldn't take it anymore so I quit.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Godzilla 2 : King of the Monsters 7/10

I think it pulls off the connected universe thing pretty well compared to every other company that isn’t marvel. The human plot was passable at best. The monster fighting stuff was great but as a whole the first film was better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It Chapter 2 - 8/10
    Still never scared, but did have lots of laugh out loud moments. Good acting (still hate Pennywise).

12. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    It Chapter 2 - 10/10

The perfect conclusion to a perfect adaptation. It wasn't till the ending did I realize how much I've connected to the characters, it got me emotional. It had its scares but not so much compared to the first but it made a lot of sense to me. Bill Skarsgard killed it again as Pennywise, he is up there now with Jason & Michael as one of my favorite horror icons; one minute he is funny and the next he is down right chilling, unnerving, and terrifying. The cast was top notch perfect too, everyone had a moment to shine and the chemistry was like lighting in a bottle but Bill Hader had to be the shining star out of the main seven. It didn't even feel like 3 hours long, it was paced wonderfully and honestly I want to spend more time with these characters. It had some flaws and there were some details not fully explored from what they've shown and told us in these two movies as well as stuff from the book. But overall as an It fan I was overjoyed and as a horror fan I was satisfied.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Avengers: Endgame. Perfect 10/10.

This film is why cinema exists. Every major plot plot addressed (except for one minor one about Spiderman but I'm told this is addressed in Far From Home), amazing call backs (the way they manage to pull off a reference to the Winter Soldier elevator scene was magnificent), and that end battle...man, I'll hate on Disney for some truly scumbag shit they do (*cough*drivingStarWarsintotheground*cough*), but fuuuuucccckkk there was no way to pull off that glorious brawl for it all without the millions in the mouse's coffers.

And in the immortal words of Ant-Man; "That's AMERICA'S Ass!"

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Honestly, Steve looking at himself on the ground and saying “You know what; that is America’s ass” was even funnier.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Making Contact (1985) - massive block of cheese/10
    Ok there is no way to give this a numerical score. Basically this us Roland Emnerich's first film. He did this in West Germany using military kids at an army base stationed there. It his attempt at trying to do a Spielberg style film to break into Hollywood. It apes all sorts of early 80s films. For what it is, it is not bad. But it is also hilariously dumb at the same time.

I first discovered this over 20 years ago. I worked as a cashier in a grocery store that had a video rental. (Remember those?) well next to my register was a used tape bin. I ended up buying it because it looked wonderfully awful. It was gloriously cheesy. Well a few years ago my favorite podcast, Now Playing, has it as a secret bonus donation episode. It all same flooding back. Well finally last week I bought it on Blu-ray. Now I am reliving this film.

You can find it on YouTube too iirc.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  16. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Now you see me 1 7 now you see me 2 7

17. wander

wander Banned

Thor: Ragnarok: a solidly enjoyable romp from the MCU hit factory. It's funny, visually impressive and full of action. Candyfloss, sure, but what candyfloss 8/10

18. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 7.5/10

Saw it on home video, which is the first time since theaters. I recall enjoying it the first time around, and thankfully I enjoyed it the second time too. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece (even by dumb blockbuster standards), but it's a lot of fun and definitely a better Godzilla movie than the 2014 film. Not only is there more of Godzilla, but I actually remember the human characters a week after seeing it. I wouldn't have minded it being shortened just a little bit.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - 6.5/10

As flawed as this movie is, I have a huge soft spot for it. It was my favorite Star Wars movie as a kid, so I have a big nostalgic connection to it. I could (and probably should) give it a lower score, but I still find a lot of enjoyment in it. More so than the next two prequels. At least it has more practical sets and miniatures. Aside from a few drawn-out parts, it has decent entertainment value. I could pick it apart on multiple levels, but everyone else has already done that.

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - 8/10

When I was younger, I was obsessed with the main theme. I had a copy of it on the family computer, and I'd use it to make parody videos and whatnot. I listened to it all the time. This is the first time I've actually seen the movie (although I had seen the ending before). It started off slow, but once the adventure kicked in, it got really good. The premise of two guys who hate each other getting different pieces of the same puzzle, and having to work together was genius. The three-hour runtime may have been a bit much...but at the same time, I kind of appreciated the slow pacing. It provided a lot of time to absorb this world and these characters. You don't see that a lot these days. There were a lot of interesting shots throughout the movie too. I definitely see why this is a classic. My score might go up a bit on a rewatch. I'm looking forward to seeing the other two movies in the "Dollars Trilogy".

I don't blame you. The Illumination movies are miserable. They're so calculated and commercial. That's coming from someone who loves watching corny, bad animated movies. I even enjoy something as utterly terrible as Angry Birds or The Emoji Movie. They're just so off-the-rails and desperate that I can't help but be somewhat entertained. And at least they have some sense of creativity, even if it's stupid. But Illumination's movies aren't "funny bad", they're just "boring bad". It's almost like they're entirely created by computers. They use every cost-cutting technique possible, and put out a completely safe product that feels like it's just trying to sell an album. Secret Life of Pets is possibly the most bland and uninspired animated movie I've ever seen. Not to say it's the worst, but it was sort of painful to sit though because of it's complete mediocrity.

19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

I am not a big fan of that type of animation in general. I am spoiled by Japanese anime movies like Your Name. With good animation and story.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Hellraiser

Dark and horrific as horror should be, this film — while not as good as The Shining — is still one I can see the reason it's called a classic. The Cenobites and the one later called Pinhead don't appear too often, but Pinhead sure does leave an impression. I can see how he ended up making a better face than the real antagonists — Frank and Julia. The gore and effects are quite good if you're into that as well.

7.5/10