The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The Muppet Movie Marathon
    The Muppet Movie (1979) - Chuck Norris/10
    The Great Muppet Caper (1981) - 7/10
    The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984) - 8/10
    The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) - 7/10
    Muppet Treasure Island (1996) - 7/10
    Muppets from Space (1999) - 6/10
    The Muppets (2011) - Chuck Norris/10
    Muppets Most Wanted (2014) - 7/10

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

AC93AF50-1082-46BD-9006-F6045467289B-1666-0000015B0C9025DE.jpg
    Hard to be a God (1989) 8/10

I watched an outdoor screening of this weird and wild sci-for movie last Sunday. It was very cool. Big sets (locations?) and great costuming.

The story revolves around a group of 'experimental historians' from future earth. Aboard a satellite, they orbit a distant planet with a human-like civilization in its infancy that experiencing its own dark-ages. Their task is to observe, never intervene, this parallel earth. The protagonists is an ambassador of sorts, sent to be their man on the scene, whose eyes and ears beam imagery back to the scientist-historians aboard the 'octagon' (satellite). The conflict stems from his internal struggle with being unable to assist the underclasses in their struggle against the oppressive 'grays'.

A philosophical action flick. It's grinds here and there, but once the 'Baron' character is introduced it really gets going!

3. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The Lion King 2019 - 5/10

4. Noble1skull

Noble1skull currently living

I AM LEGEND: 9/10
    I really enjoyed it. The story was great and the little scenes of will Smith and Sam (the dog) just hanging out and doing normal things was another thing I really liked about it. And I enjoy horror and zombie/zombie related things quite a bit, so that helps me to give it such a high rating.

5. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

Haha! How many days did you marathon them over?

6. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shawn the sheep 8

7. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Biggest issue: Pacing.

6.5/10

8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Dukes of Hazzard (Sean William Scott, Johnny Knoxville, Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds and Willie Nelson)
    4/10.

9. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Yours, General Cartman E. Lee

Ebay:
    X Men Crap Phoenix. 1/10.

I give it an F........minus.

Now give it to the MCU people and see how the pros do a comic book franchise.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Muppet Treasure Island:
    Amazing! Absolutely love this film! From the moment it began! Tim Curry is by far the best part of this film. But, everything else is just so wonderful, too! Love the songs, and the dialog. Love the humor! Love all the things happening in the background. Fantastic Film. Hadn't seen it in nearly 20 years. Still love it! 9/10. Almost perfect.

Jim should have gone with Tim Curry, as he kept Jim safer than anyone of Kermit's crew did! LOL

A Muppet Christmas Carol:
    Again, had not seen this movie in like 20 years. And, wow do I still love it! Still my favorite version of this story. Micheal Cain's performance is a life defining one. Even though he's interacting with puppets. Yet, this whole film is still being taken seriously. My only real gripe with this film, is Disney censored the film on DVD! I wasn't sure, while watching it. But, I knew there was some things missing about it. So, I tracked the scenes down on You Tube, and sure enough, they censored it! 0/10 for the DVD version, 10/10 for the movie itself!

The Lion King: 2019.
    Maybe I made a mistake watching the muppet movies earlier this week. As, I kept thinking on how much better this film would have been made by Jim Henson instead... LOL The Muppet King. But, the film itself, is pretty much beat for beat, scene for scene the original film. Just, not as good. More censored version of it. Disney took a G rated film, and censored it, into a PG rated film. That's how far Hollywood's gone.

For the most part, it is an okay film. But, if you've seen the original film, it's like watching the original, but less good. With new lines added here and there. And, others completely removed. Some songs have been cut in half. Most of the songs aren't nearly as well done.

CG combined with the stock footage of Neo Geo videos, can sometimes look great. Other times, it's fairly jarring seeing the real animal, interacting, or becoming a CG animal. I can't quite explain it, but it's like they've suddenly become a zombie version of themselves. Speaking of zombies, since they are all supposed to look like real animals, they don't emote at all. Sometimes they talk with their mouths opening, and others they don't. So, it's like they have telepathy. Also, they're all zombies who are dead on the inside, with no emotions.

As it now stands, I hate to say it, but Dumbo, for everything it did... poorly, is the one that is the best of these. At least it did something different in the second half. This, is just The Lion King: Less Good Edition, with more zombies. I think it will keep people entertained enough for a one and done, and then everyone will forget about it in a year, and go back to watching the original.

7 out of 10. It's C movie, at best. Oh, and 10/10 for the Neo Geo footage. That stuff really is spectacular, good stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Went on movie dates to see the following

Annabelle comes home 8/10

The first one ive seen, it wasnt as scary as i thought which was good for me :lol 

Spiderman far from home 11/10

We both loved it , i think it was better in some ways then the first one which i also loved and the ending was insane ... can’t wait to see how that plays out

Toy story 4 10/10

Really loved it. And especially loved forky 100x more then i could have imagined. IM TRASH!

The lion king 10/10

I know alot of people don’t like it but me and the girl i went with had been excited for it , and i enjoyed it and had a good time so despite some issues it was still great to me, and i laughed alot

• Like Like x 1
  12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

The Ideon: A Contact - 8.5/10
    The Ideon: Be Invoked - Chuck Norris/10

13. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The Return of Jafar:
    I saw the original and King of Thieves, but I never saw this one until now. And man, the quality is awful. Yes, I know this was a pilot for the TV series but, man the animation is bad when you put it next to the first movie. Simba's Pride had better quality than this.

Dan Castellaneta as the Genie is near identical to his Homer voice it's distracting when you hear it. And despite it called The Return of Jafar this is mostly an Iago movie. I never hated Gilbert Gottfried, but please don't let him sing again.

And speaking of Jafar, he was already hard to be taken seriously in the first movie when he got his powers and good lord he lost all of his dignity here. He's nothing more than an evil Genie. That's it. He no longer has any of his old charm and turned to another joker trying to upstage the Genie.

4/10

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Lion King (2019) - 6.5/10

I saw it earlier. I really wanted to like it, but I only kind of liked it. It was a fun nostalgia trip. There's no denying that the quality of the CGI and the animation was amazing. A new standard, probably. But the criticisms were definitely on-point. It's 90% a shot-for-shot remake. And the shots weren't really that spectacular. Even the opening shot felt like a boring version of the animated intro. In the original, the shot is a centered wide shot, that really gives you a sense of scale. Here it's off-center and close-up, which makes it feel...less grand. The best way I can describe this movie is "like the original, but everything's 10% worse". Which isn't to say it's bad, but it left me with an empty feeling.

This movie gave me a certain vibe: it's like watching video game cutscenes from a game adaptation of a movie. The scenes and the story are the same, but the voices are different, the shots aren't as dynamic, and it's just not done as well. I think Jungle Book worked because the original story was a bit unrefined, so they were able to craft it into a tighter movie. They had a lot of creative freedom. Here, they're trying to improve upon something close to cinematic perfection, and it just doesn't fully work. And to be fair, I'm not sure I'd say it doesn't work. It's just in a weird state where it kind of exists. There's not much creativity found here, they're just delivering a slightly tweaked version of someone else's script. All I could think about while watching the movie was how hard the original team worked to craft such a special experience, and how this team is essentially just making money by riding on their work. The only effort here felt like the animation team. This animation could and should have gone to a new story, not "revamping" someone else's.

Would I recommend it? Well, it was fun to watch the animation, and see all the cute animals. But I was also a bit bored, and never fully immersed. I'd almost go as far as to say wait until it comes on DVD, and have it on in the background while you do something more worthwhile. Glance up at the screen when your kids say "awww, that's cute". You probably won't get anything new out of it. I suppose I'd give it a recommendation on the mildest sense, for the animation effort.

15. NSJ23

NSJ23 can’t think of something witty..

The lion king. 8/10 i enjoyed it i haven’t seen the original since the first theater release so a lot i didn’t remember so the scene for scene didn’t bother me, but i missed the whoopi and cheech scene not being in it. besides beyoncé’s bad voice acting and the CGI ananias not being able to emote like the animated versions i had no other complaints. plus my boy loved it.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Like I said, Lion King is like the original, but not as good, with more zombies. If you like the original, you'll probably like it. Just not as much. I can see, for a lot of people, scene for scene being enough.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The Happytime Murders - 9/10

Actually pretty damn funny. Not a patch on Meet the Feebles but its still good for a few chuckles

18. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Disney's Hercules - 8/10

I use to see this all the time when I was in Elementary School, this and Bee Movie was put on repeat in Art Class. Anyway, I think one of the reasons I've always liked this was due to my love for Greek mythology and all the time I spent growing up learning about all I could. So now years later and this is still one of my favorite Disney movies top five at least, James Woods steals this movie.

19. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The mummy 1 7

20. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

The Wolverine

He may not look much like comics Logan last I checked, but I will hand it to Hugh Jackman that he is a great performer. This movie trimmed the fat of the Fox X-Men and just gave us Wolverine which is less annoying than watching the X-Men and getting Wolverine in their place.

This one was a pretty good MCU-dodging adaption of the Silver Samurai story, too. The Samurai was more like an Iron Monger or Vanko but with swords, but it didn't bother me that much because one would expect a CGI battle in one of this type of movie. But it's pretty generic and I couldn't stop being weirded out by how much younger Yahiko looked than Jackman.

5/10

Shrek

Not hard to see why this movie was a massive hit and remains popular to this day. This is a brash and daring spoof of all things fairy tale and is probably still the only real deconstruction of those tropes. It has a nice balance of mean spirited and heartfelt that makes it stand out.

Now there are problems with it; it plays the romcom "misunderstanding" cliché 100% straight to set up its climax and at the end seems to drop the rest of the film's mocking disposition toward musical numbers, something that made me wince a bit. I still love it as much as I did first watching it in the theaters, however. A slightly flawed classic.

8.7/10

Watching these two together does make me hope some day we see a "Shrek" for superhero movies; with the MCU in full swing, there certainly are enough tropes and clichés.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1