The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Shin Godzilla - 9/10

2. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    A dogs purpose 9/10

Made me cry...

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Rim of the World - 7/10
    A great tribute to eighties childhood trapped in action movies. Terrific cast, lots of fun moments interspersed with serious, world-destroying possibilities, all set in a familiar, but not too familiar, background. Definitely more fun than I expected, and such a great story.

Worth a watch.

4. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

I saw this last night, and I think it might be one of my least favorite blockbusters I have seen in recent years. Most of the fights are totally devoid of any tension; I have never seen monster fights that were so boring. I thought Aquaman was convoluted...but after watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters I have to admit that Aquaman undoubtedly had the better story, and Aquaman at least had some heartwarming and funny moments, and not to mention it was more visually creative.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sixwing

Sixwing What did you mean by "in Tribble"?

I watched Logan Lucky last night. I would give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, due to it's overall humor, characters, and plot.

6. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Available by prescription only

News Credits:
    Doctor Strange 9/10

Being the first MCU I got to see in cinema and coming from one of the happiest moments of my life, it holds strong nostalgic sentimentality that might forbid me from writing a fair, unbiased review.

But that doesn’t matter because either way this movie is fucking rad. Its spellbinding special effects and strong performances from Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Mads Mikkelsen guarantee that it will last for decades to come and remain one of the most magical cinema moments of my life alongside Endgame and Dark of the Moon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Logan

This was a genuinely good movie. Heard that it was going to be but was under the impression that it was in the "good superhero movie" sense. Not having several downright human performances by top notch actors such as Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart. Even from a kid.

This movie follows a saving the mutants plot that is overall quite simple and allows for the movie to be built around the performances. And as I said before, what performances these were.

It feels like Fox X-Men should have ended with this movie. It feels like such a down to earth, neatly placed ribbon but I guess it wasn't meant to be...

9/10

Spider-Man 3

It's not as terrible as the ASM sequel, but this movie was stuffed too full and is massively cluttered as a result. I can't even say for sure which fat to trim, but if I were to choose I think that it would be the underwhelming "New Goblin" plot in favor of Spidey descending into anger and extremism with the Symbiote over his uncle's killer still being around. But then again, it's not like your best friend trying to kill you wouldn't be a source of angst...

I found the dancing Peter funny. Going by everyone's reactions in-movie that was supposed to be the case. It's just super weird that a monster attached to Peter feeding on his negative emotions was supposed to be funny.

3.8/10

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Herbie: Fully Loaded - 8/10

I had never seen this before. I found it really enjoyable. It had a neat '80s vibe (this may have been one of the first movies to cash in on '80s nostalgia), and had some legitimately good humor. As someone who can be difficult to get a laugh from, I chuckled a lot during this movie, and even laughed-out-loud once or twice. It's definitely simplistic, but that works in the movie's favor. It has a lot of creative gags and fun set-pieces. I'm kind of a sucker for fun, colorful, feel-good movies like this. I would definitely revisit this in the future.

What's the general consensus on this movie? It has a low critic score and a low audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. I get the low critic score, but I'm a bit surprised by the low audience scores. It felt like a crowd-pleaser, and I was always kind of under the impression people liked it...

I agree. Doctor Strange is probably my second favorite Marvel movie, behind the first Guardians. I feel like it's very underrated. My first theatrical Marvel movie was Civil War. At the time, I liked it, but didn't love it. Civil War requires more knowledge of the previous Marvel movies, and at the time I hadn't seen all of them, so the politics were a bit confusing. I had seen Winter Soldier several years before, but I had forgotten where the Bucky storyline left off, so I was a bit lost. I've grown to enjoy and understand it a lot more on rewatches.

But Doctor Strange is a great standalone movie, it functions very well on it's own. I also tend to enjoy the space/fantasy/colorful/trippy side of Marvel more than the grounded/"real-world" stuff. Doctor Strange was a really fun and memorable moviegoing experience. And unlike something like Avatar, it holds up on home video, because it's not too reliant on the effects, despite the fact that they were a big appeal. I actually enjoy Strange's journey from skeptic to sorcerer more than I enjoy the city-bending effects.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Prime/Meg/Bee/SS completist

News Credits:
    X-Women: Dark Phoenix: 6/10

Famke >>>>>>>>>>>> Sophie

Creed II: 9/10
    Buried: 9/10

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think for most of us, it was the opposite. Hearing a voice that for decades we associated with various psychos and other creeps suddenly coming out of a heroic Autobot was the weird thing.

11. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

VICE : 10/10

Christian Bale's impersonation of Dick Cheney is absolutely amazing. Brilliant performance.

12. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Toy Story Marathon
    Toy Story (1995) - Chuck Norris/10
    Toy Story 2 (1999) - Chuck Norris/10
    Toy Story 3 (2010) - Chuck Norris/10
    Toy Story 4 (2019) - 9/10

13. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Child's Play (2019) - 8/10

At first there was so much keeping me from being excited or invested in a Child's Play remake. Firstly the cliff hanger at the end of Cult, there was potential in continuing that. Secondly was no Brad Dourif as Chucky, there was hope once they casted Mark Hamill though. But here I was bored on a rainy day and decided to sit down and see it for myself and I was blown away by how much I liked it.

Friday the 13th, the first Halloween, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre were IMO the best we'd get at good or decent Slasher remake flicks but honestly IMO Child's Play was better then them. And here's the thing, Child's Play & Freddy got me into the Slasher genre but have since been overshadowed by Jason, Michael, & Leatherface easily. One thing that is a huge win for me in terms of slasher remakes is bringing something fresh, new, and different to a franchise as long running as these and Child's Play does that well.

This movie was terrifying, granted it isn't helped by how creepy they made the Buddi Dolls in this nor my discomfort in dolls in general, and the gore solidified its R rating; its probably one of the bloodier Child's Play movies off the top of my head. The humor was ok, honestly there were moments that probably weren't meant to be funny but came off that way. The characters were well written, like last years Halloween they were written well enough that we carried for them. Unlike other slashers where we're only here to see them axed off in gruesome ways, here there is one character we want to see bite it while others are well written and well liked that we hope we see make it to the end. And that is in part to the acting, everyone did a good job with what they were given but props to the kid playing Andy for carrying this movie on the human side.

As for Chucky, man oh man did Mark Hamill KILL it as Chucky. I knew going in he had to at least be one of the few good things to come from this. He was creepy when he needed to be and was unsettling when he wasn't speaking, he did the character justice. Honestly I wasn't to keen on the whole rogue AI aspect but it totally works for this movie especially with AI today and how reliant we are on technology.

With how wonderful Michael & Chucky's return to the big screen as well as Pennywise's sequel later this year I'm looking forward to the future. I just wish it was that easy as things aren't looking good for Jason, but maybe we'll see more from this rebooted Child's Play if it does well and maybe we'll see new films of Freddy, Michael, & Leatherface too.

As a slasher fan I was satisfied, as a Child's Play fan I was happy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Toy Story - 10/10. A classic and one of my favorite movies. Funny story, I watched this movie so much as a kid that I actually messed up the VHS, as there was one point in the movie where a line would come across the screen. Whenever I rewatch the movie on DVD, I expect that to happen.
    Toy Story 4 - 9/10. I love the first two movies and strongly dislike the third. I was super happy with this movie and thought it was a perfect send off. I broke down at the end of the movie, something that has never happened to me during a movie before.

15. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Child's Play (2019) - I didn't expect a lot but this movie was quite good. Mark Hamill did a great job with the voice acting, the kills were very creative and the score is great.

16. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Available by prescription only

News Credits:
    Ratatouille - 10/10
    As usual, Pixar kills it once again. Simple, yet heartwarming. Easy to sit through, yet deeper than what’s seen on the surface. They may’ve failed with Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur, but the fact they’ve made this many beloved favourites is a miracle to the usually vapid 3D animation industry.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Whenever I see lists of Pixar movies ranked and this isn't at least in the top ten I immediately click off of the site. This is easily in the top 5 Pixar movies for me and is one of my favorite movies period.

18. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Perry Mason Nearly Gets Murdered by Godzilla — I mean, Godzilla: King of the Monsters!

This film is a weird attempt at bringing a Japanese allegory into the scope of American audiences as a monster.

As campy and choppy as this movie is, it is still far flung from the dumb action film that Godzilla has come to be perceived as. It plays up the horror aspect, quite fittingly for a movie that references the Universal Monsters in its title (mostly guessing here, considering they were the most famous of that time and had a shared universe for Godzilla to "king" over.) Still, Raymond Burr doesn't really convey any of the terror or the "horror" of the situation and is so clearly cut in that it really takes away from it. Not to mention that none of the characters feel fully realized because we get a narration blur in place of organically going from plot point to plot point. Still, it has a bit of a documentary-news report vibe, sort of if Perry was there during Gojira and recounted the events to the world which is kind of cool and a neat play on a monster movie. A huge fucking mutant dinosaur would be pretty newsworthy.

So a movie drained of most emotion replaced with a narrator recounting ghastly events that at times do still remain just that. A decent B-horror flick.

(Also I kinda want to see an actual Universal Monsters-Godzilla shared universe type thing out of sheer curiosity)

5/10

19. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    3rd encounters of the third kind 7/10

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Child's Play (With Mark Hamill.)

What a wonderful movie! From Mark singing, playing the creepy ass doll, to the Evil-Amazon vibe, to the characters, this film was a blast from start to finish. I also love how this film could still be in continuity if they wanted to.

I absolutely loved this film. It isn't perfect, but wow was it fun! 8 out of 10. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 2