The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The Big Short - 10/10
    Christ, if even half of his movie is accurate I am legitimately surprised the public didn’t setup a fucking guillotine on Wall Street and do the execs of Lehman Bros. and Goldman Sachs what was done to the French aristocracy.

2. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shazam! 7/10

Detective Pikachu 6/10

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile 6/10

Mid90's 9/10

Godzilla (2014) 9/10

Mad Max: Fury Road 9/10

Aladdin (2019) 7/10

Triple Frontier 7/10

Heights 8/10

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 10/10

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) 7/10

• Like Like x 1
  3. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    Captain America: Winter Solider - 9/10

Still my absolute favorite MCU movie to this day!

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I just went cross-eyed for a second. BvS not only gets a 10 but rates higher than Fury Road?

I haven't seen it yet, but most of the reviews I've been seeing from actual Godzilla fans seems to echo this. The first Legendary movie was not perfect, but a more legit attempt at doing what classic Godzilla movies traditionally have been, while the new one is the shallow, all-out action, throw-everything-at-the-screen cacophony that non-fans want and assume Godzilla movies are.

I still want to see it, but my expectations have been lowered.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Available by prescription only

News Credits:
    Aladdin - 7/10
    Much like its predecessor Dumbo, Aladdin reskins a Disney classic with cutting edge technology while bringing nothing new to the table. It lacks the magic of the classic, but is in no ways a bad film. For what it’s worth, I liked it more than I would’ve expected.

• Like Like x 1
  6. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 9/10
    Holy goddamn, this was this a fun movie!
    My only complaints are the majority of the monster action being mostly obscured in a storm- again- and that one human character (glasses white hair) who's trying- and failing- to quip all the time.
    To me, it hit all the right notes of a "versus" Godzilla movie- and in some cases, actually did it better than it's been done (like with Mothra)- but it would be nice to see the monsters fighting more clearly and maybe a bit more destruction on their part (not just the aftermath). I feel like my husband and I picked up on just about every nod to the existing Godzilla mythos (from Atlantis, to Castle Bravo, to King Ghidorah being called "Monster Zero", to the blink-and-you'll-miss-it nods to Mothra's own mythos, to the otherwise unnamed Super-X plane) the film threw at us, which made it all the better for it.
    Extra points for Bear McCreary making a remix of Blue Öyster Cult's "Godzilla" with Dethklok and getting it to lead in the end credits of a Godzilla movie AND integrating Akira Ifukube's iconic themes into the score!
    Oh no! They say he's got to go! GO-GO-GODZILLA!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. I love BvS. It feels like a movie that was made specifically for me and no one else.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, the Interpol thing is Hollywood standard fare that makes no sense if you dip beneath the surface. But aside from that this movie has some of the best dialog and riffing in any modern comedy action film. Reynolds saying, "The man single handedly ruined the word motherf*cker!" had me rolling.

I have a friend that's obsessed with the financial market during this time period and studies every aspect of it. He's had me read up and watch other movies depicting it, and you'd be shocked just how much of it is dead-on accurate. There's reasons nobody got the beating they so richly deserved, but those reasons would cross the line into politics and I'm not much in the mood to fight that battle here.

Sadly, we're setting up a very similar scenario again. And again there's nothing much us common folk can do but watch in horror if we see it coming.

We watched Wine Country over the weekend. I'd give it a 7/10, which is way higher than expected going in. Typically I'm not a big fan of all female ensemble comedies, because for my taste they tend to be super mean spirited in order to pull off the comedy side of things. This one had moments of that, but it was all tempered in realistic relationships and the fact that, as we age, life tends to stomp on ambition and dreams. Aside from some way over the top pratfalls and such, it was a surprisingly realistic look at a group of friends coming to terms with aging in the modern world, and facing the dilemmas that life tosses in front of us. All that without forgetting it was a comedy.

I wouldn't run to watch it ten times or anything, but it was a fun once through experience.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rocketman - 8/10.

By all accounts, a great movie, with Taron Egerton channeling Elton John with astonishing clarity and Jamie Bell delivering a heartfelt performance as writing partner Bernie Taupin. On screen, Egerton and Bell are as accomplished a duo as John and Taupin are in reality. As for facts, however, the film transitions into fantasy for moments of both triumph and turmoil, depicting both him and his audience levitating off the floor during his star-making appearance at the Troubadour in Los Angeles in 1970 (and playing a song, "Crocodile Rock," that he wouldn't write for another two years). As a child, Elton and his family sing his 2001 hit "I Want Love" while demonstrating that none of them are capable of giving or receiving it.

And so Rocketman is less concerned with historical accuracy and more with presenting Elton's life as rock opera, using his songs to underscore key events regardless of when they actually emerge in his career and giving singing parts to the people around him, musical-style. And due to a framing sequence of Elton in group therapy positioning the film's story as a series of flashbacks, there is nothing presented that is not from Elton's own perspective. While this approach undoubtedly results in a one-sided view of history (and Elton executive-produced, so presumably nothing got in that he didn't want there), fortunately Elton doesn't view his past through the same rose-tinted glasses he often wears, treating us to wrenching scenes of excess and bad behavior.

More than anything, I came away from the film with the impression of Elton as an enormously gifted musician who managed to build his fame and fortune on a foundation of uncertainty, distress, unrequited longing and self-destructive tendencies. Here is a man who wanted to be himself without knowing for decades who he really was, and fearing that who he really was could never allow him to be who he wanted to be, almost becoming Elton John by accident. It's an intriguing biopic that dispenses with a dry retelling of the facts in favor of a dig for a deeper, hidden truth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku “Part of the journey is the End.”

Instagram:
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters 8/10.

Only ever watched half of the 2014, but this film looked pretty cool. Overall, wasn’t disappointed. I enjoyed the human cast more than others seemed to, but I absolutely despise that mother. Fight scenes were awesome, as expected.

I liked Kong: Skull Island a lot and this film was pretty nice, so I’m sold on Kong vs. Godzilla.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum 5/10

12. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I had a ball and felt like a kid all over again. My 9 year old self would have given this movie 9/10.

• Like Like x 2
  13. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

I have never been into the whole Godzilla thing, but I guess I will have to go see this movie now, lol!

14. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - 8/10

• Like Like x 1
  15. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Ghidorah, King of the Bibibibibibi: 8.5/10

• Like Like x 2
  16. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

After this Godzilla universe started strongly with the one in 2014 (which managed to put me in the seat due to looking like it would be a monster thriller starring Bryan Cranston) and fell on its face with Kong: Skull Island it has stayed down awkwardly flopping around.

This movie requires you to feel sympathetic toward an eco terrorist madwoman who decided that it was a good notion to kill potentially billions just to save the rain forests. Now, saving the rain forests is a great thing to do but a person becoming potentially the greatest killer known to humanity this side of the black plague does not make said person someone I would care for. Rather, I would like them dead. When the most reasonable and relatable character in the movie is the moody fifteen year old, you are in some serious trouble.

At least these two kind of stay consistent. The others bounce between personality traits and motivations like crazy. A returning character from the first movie is unceremoniously killed, mourned briefly and then forgotten. Don't worry, though, by the end of the movie all of the good characters/performers from the first movie are given the Bryan Cranston treatment as we go from location to location and monsters have incredibly boring, quick fights.

Oh yeah, the thing about the action supposedly being good? I guess if "monster" is enough for them to be good. We are subjected to uncreative choreography as the producers seem to at times forget the animals the creatures are themed after in favor of chokeslams and simple back and forths whilst we occasionally visit people on a sound stage covering their eyes or being thrown by magically weak shockwaves. Mothra and Rodan, for example, briefly fight at the edge of the camera while Vera Farmiga runs. When we get back to the winged fighters, it is already done for the most part and a monster is massively underused.

Not that there is really anything to these fights to make someone interested in the first place. The creatures are uninteresting, lacking the mysterious flare of the first film (as an aside, none of these "MonsterVerse" movies feel close to the same continuity; they vary wildly in their treatment of the monsters, realism, look and tone) and generally having "hi—bye" personalities. It's like they couldn't make them scary or mysterious, so they tried to compensate with big booms. This even applies to the Oxygen Destroyer — in 1954, it was a grim allegory for a weapon of mass destruction, here a large green explosion for Ghidorah to fly out of and temporarily decommission Godzilla. Their powers vary too. Ghidorah can whoop flying nuke Rodan and splatter mass groups of soldiers but then can't hit a sprinting Millie Bobby Brown.

And it all ends in an asspull anticlimactic power up.

To summarize those past two (and a fifth) paragraphs, I would rather watch all of the 2014 movie to watch the one fight than watch this movie and get five because at least that one was climactic.

On top of that, this movie tries to have a sense of humor and totally fails. Getting some Simpsons in this one might have helped it out a bit. There was a single intentionally funny moment involving Millie, but I won't spoil it to not ruin it for those who intend to watch this. There's a dose of unintentional humor, mind.

Good things about this movie are Charles Dance's smarmy ultra seriously cartoon villain, Millie Bobby Brown and to a lesser extent Ken Watanabe who is tragically mostly wasted. Godzilla himself manages to be the best creature to look at (when he's not glowing) and has some sense of personality but is not nearly as cool as cool as the skulking, mysterious badass that he was in 2014. To put it bluntly, despite it being stated in promos that Godzilla is bigger and stronger here, it feels like the 2014 one could pop out of the woodwork and kick 2019's ass because of feeling of danger the former presents.

3.3/10

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 10/10

Kong Skull Island - 8/10

• Like Like x 2
  18. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah 9/10 to a 10/10 here too. Lots of fun and laughs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No it doesn’t.

Literally every character in the movie, including her mentor, her ex-husband, and her daughter, all call her out on her bullshit. Her daughter disowns her & calls her a monster. Not once did I feel the least bit sympathetic towards her. Don’t mistake trying to craft a villain with relatable motivations with demanding the audience side with her.

Sure, she tried to atone for her actions at the very end, but she just killed thousands, possibly millions of people & caused countless parents to lose their children just like she did. She gets no sympathy from me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku “Part of the journey is the End.”

Instagram:
    Her little “redemption moment” struck me as: “I don’t want my daughter to hate me, so I’m just gonna get myself killed as to look heroic instead of the extremist I really am.”

Yeah, I was frankly glad she died.

• Like Like x 1