The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Godzilla (1998)

So, it is apparently a cardinal sin amongst fans of this franchise to say something positive about this movie. Well, fuck that because I am not a Godzilla fan and this movie has merits.

The first ~30 minutes of this movie are a well done monster movie. There's an ominous presence looming just beyond our Simpsons' sight pulling down fishing vessels and leaving havoc in its wake. The score is unique and swelling.

Then it kinda goes to a halt. This movie ends up being just kind of corny. There's this rom-com human plot slapped in front of a plot about something enormous inexplicably hiding in Manhattan wherein there has to be at least a couple thousand stragglers even after the city was evacuated. It's weird and pretty campy with the cast giving it their all to try to make it funny despite the off base Siskel and Ebert parodies running around and just how cartoonish the dialogue is.

And the monster becomes less monstrous as time goes on, being shown more in plain view, shown cowering, expressing humanlike emotion and ultimately being slain. Thus, taking the facets of "monsterhood" out of it: mystery, danger and inhumanity. Like, this stuff about it being a giant animal defeats the purpose of a giant monster flick. And failing at maintaining the aspects of what makes a monster is ultimately what makes nearly all giant monster movies fail and even regular monster movies.

It's funny how much the Godzilla fanbase dislikes this movie when it is exactly what a Godzilla movie happens to be most of the time: offbeat, cartoonish and full of pretentious navel gazing about nature, earth or something like that. Soon, a potentially even more campy one is going to be greeted with open arms by said fanbase. I look forward to it.

Even with how obnoxious and just terribly bad this movie happens to be, however, I don't actively dislike it like many of its giant monster and Bayesque colleagues so it gets a middle of the road mark:

5/10

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JackBurton82

JackBurton82 Banned

Mandy (2018) on blu 10/10: My favorite film of 2018! Want something different outside the mainstream and Hollywood even in the horror genre? then check out this new independent instant cult classic gem.

I saw this in one of my city's midnight theaters last year and loved it! my favorite film of 2018! it was something unique, brilliant, brisking with quality visual style, great performances even by Nicolas Cage (this is his best in a long time) and Bill Duke, good storytelling, some excellent practical effects and gore, awesome chainsaw fights, superb score, 80s feel to it as it's set in 1983, incredible animated sequences and all that.

It's like David Lynch, Heavy Metal (both the animated film and comic magazine), Resident Evil 4 5 and 7 (the video games), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 and 2, Stephen King and Mad Max combined into one crazy as hell and unique motion picture. Although it's not for everyone but it's nice for those who want to see something different to the horror genre outside the mainstream.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The cartoon it spawned (starring its spawn, hilariously enough) was actually pretty cool

• Like Like x 3
  4. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Iron Sky: The Coming Race - 3/10

• Like Like x 1
  5. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Detective Pikachu - 5/10

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Detective Pikachu: 4/10

It has some funny moments, but the script is painfully predictable and borderline nonsensical at times.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Watched unbreakable 8/10at school while writing awnsers on a paper

8. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

Detective Pikachu 7/10

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Handsome Jack Resurected

The beginning of Venom - 5/10.

I partially blame my parents for hyping this film up, but this film was just all over the fucking place. It was genuinely entertaining at times but then it just really fucking crossed over into seriously uncomfortable territory time and time again - I don't watch horror like The Thing because I can't stand that kind of body horror and this was nothing but The Thing style body horror constantly. By the time Venom actually showed up to make remarks like 'never gonna happen', I couldn't bear to be in the same room because apparently I wasn't enjoying it as much as the rest of the family who apparently thought it was hysterical (again, I partially blame them for ruining the experience here).

I'll probably try to watch the rest of it...without my family, because it was clear mom and dad were trying to sell me on this film for whatever reason and they fucking ruined it for me as a result, because otherwise maybe I would have tolerated the body horror.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  10. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku “Part of the journey is the End.”

Instagram:
    The Imitation Gane- 8.5/10.

Not my usual choice in a movie, but my Mom wanted to watch it, so I stuck with her. Was shocked by how much I enjoyed it, and it allowed me to practice a little bit of my World History knowledge.

That ending is depressing as hell tho.

11. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Rush Hour 2 - 10/10 this scene is so hilarious :lolol 

12. electronic456

electronic456 Advocator for Balance

News Credits:
    The Fifth Element
    I can accept campy sci-fi but I personally think the movie misses a few beats for me. I like a lot of the production design and costuming, that's for sure. This movie even by 90s standards has some pretty good visual effects. The plot however does feel like a hodge podge of things, I mean sure we're talking about saving Earth from a destructive ball of evil. But it was really bizarre especially with the things I saw such as a very strange introduction to Chris Tucker's character.

Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich are both good in their roles. However the two standouts in the movie were easily Gary Oldman and Chris Tucker for me. Gary Oldman is just a natural with villains while Chris Tucker gives one heck of an intriguing and but also somewhat grating performance. I can see why this movie has its cult following though and for sure, there are people out there who'd love this movie. I just had to shake off the weird things with this movie. But hey... At least the four stone element plot isn't some individual Mcguffin hunting thing.

6/10

• Like Like x 1
  13. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the problem with this movie was when it sudenly forgets Godzilla and becomes Jurassic park for like 20 minutes with the Godzilla babies. Also I can just never buy Jean Reno as a badass, no matter how much he tries.

14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Not even in Leon?

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That is a sentence I never expected to read.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Detective Pikachu - 7/10
    It was decent. Some good to bad performances. Ryan was good, but his best stuff is all in the trailers. Justice was fine, but the girl was bad. Bad readings, bad lines, just came off annoying. Did have a few twists. The reason to watch is the pokemon. They are fun. This is a movie to watch on dvd and pause just to spot all the pokemon. They all looked great. I never super bought them as existing 100%, but in the mid 90s maybe.

17. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta agree here. It was decent, but I couldn't be brought to care about any of the characters.
    The special effects were nice, though.

The monster design was very cool and I enjoyed the real-world elements like the scale patterning and iguana influences, but the plot and human element was easily forgettable.

18. andyz

andyz Banned

Tolkien (2019) - 8/10

An informative and interesting story of the great author’s youth which shows how events in his life inspired his writing.
    Strong acting and good use of fantasy special effects in the war scenes, as well as good cinematography in the quieter moments.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Avengers: Endgame. As a stand-alone: 7/10. As a part of the universe it came from 10/10

This film did exactly what it needed to do. Were there plotholes and questionable decisions made? Absolutely, but this is super hero fare on a universe that's remained enjoyable for over ten years, involving time travel in a way that, while leaving some questions, didn't completely destroy everything that came before. For that, if nothing else, I gotta give big props.

The characters stayed believable. Even fat Thor (Lebowski) was great. For people that like the Big Lebowski, there were a TON of references throughout the film. I half expected a coffee can full of ashes to be dumped in Thor's face when he stood on that cliff looking down at his city. Great humor throughout considering the gravity of the situation they were in. "Thanks for the pep talk, piss ant!"

I couldn't be upset with any of the deaths. I know some are really upset with one in particular, but it totally fit the character's MO throughout the films. I teared up more than once.

Integrated Hulk was hilarious.

I left the theater completely satisfied with what I saw. That end battle was amazeballs. My inner nerd was squee'ing as hard as he could at "assemble." So many cool moments. I kept thinking I wished Stan could have made it long enough to see it. He would have loved it.

While I could nitpick certain scenes, I just don't feel like it. It was so fun.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10

This is the third time I've seen this movie, which makes it the least amount of times I've seen any Star Wars movie (aside from Last Jedi, which I've also only seen three times). I'm happy to say I enjoyed it more this time around. It's not a fantastic movie, but it's fun and more than serviceable. I found myself enjoying Alden's performance a bit more than I did the first time. It's hard to live up to Harrison Ford, and Alden does a fine job. The main thing I really dislike is L3-30. This has to be the single most annoying character in the Star Wars franchise, easily beating out Jar Jar Binks. She would have been fine if she was more toned-down, but they made her way too animated and goofy. I think the overall adventure is solid, I like the sequence of events.

Out of these new Star Wars movies, I definitely prefer the two spinoff movies. If TFA and TLJ weren't made, I don't think I'd feel as jaded towards the brand as I do. I'm starting to wish Disney just left the numbered films in the past, and only made spinoffs. I guess my current ranking would be:

A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
    Solo
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Force Awakens
    Attack of the Clones
    The Last Jedi

• Like Like x 3