The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I love this one. Classic Rintaro.

I'll disagree with him about A-Ko, which I feel was always overrated and holds up even worse. But the other three he listed (The Wings of Honneamise, Grave of the Fireflies, The Dagger of Kamui) really are about as close to flawless movies as you can get.

2. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Into the Spider-Verse 10/10

• Like Like x 1
  3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Alita Battle Angel 7/10

I'm surprised of how much better the movie then what I expected. Alita's eyes didn't look out of place in the actual film and despite not being too well versed in the original story I think this does a good job at adapting the first few arcs in this for newcomers and possibly being the first anime live action adaptation that's good despite certain scenes could've played out longer to give better impact.. The visuals and action scenes were also top notch and being in a ScreenX theater certainly helped me being immersed in it. :D  It's making me want to check out the original series along with hoping we'll see more movies of this.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bohemian Rhapsody - 10/10
    It is the story of Freddie Mercury and Queen. Nuff said.

5. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leon: The Professional - 7.8/10

Quite good, stops just short of being great. All three leads are solid:
    Jean Reno's always had a subtle charm to him.
    A very young Natalie Portman (in her first role) shows her talent is for real.
    Gary Oldman completely eats up his role as the villain here, which we'd basically see a continuation of in his next Luc Besson collab (The Fifth Element)
    I just REALLY wished Besson quelled all the inappropriate undertones of a grown man having a relationship with a 12 year old girl...sadly it turns out this aspect was semi-autobiographical. And he's (apparently/allegedly) a rapist and POS too. Smh great, :rolleyes:  another one.

On a lighter note: hey some G1 Transformers eps made their way in there! Back in 1994, I remember my brother and I being irrationally excited when we first caught this and seeing TFs in mainstream media.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku “Part of the journey is the End.”

Instagram:
    The Big Hit (with Marky-Mark)

9.5/10. Holy hell, this movie was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud, and the cast was so likable. I can't fathom the critics who only focused on the over-the-top action scenes, and blatantly ignored how great the rest is.

7. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

The Lego Movie 2:

Finally got to see a movie in theater this year. From bladder issues to my illness last weak, it was an annoying experience.

Anyway, this movie was great, if not as novel as the first one. So far all Lego movies as been great, even with the Ninjago movie being the weakest of the series. The humor and commentary are still there, but since we got the major reveal of the first movie, it kind of took some of the charm from this one. Nevertheless, the new characters and settings were great and memorable.

8/10

8. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

A star is born 10/10

9. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

All of the How To Train Your Dragon movies

The dragon stuff was cool but I could do without the rest tbh

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You should see the uncut version. It goes from undertone to plain tone. And Matilda actually kills people.

11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 7/10

My thoughts on this movie are very mixed at this point. When I first saw it, I loved it (to the point of even declaring it one of my favorite Star Wars movies). Now I'm a bit more critical of it. There are a lot of problems with the story, setup, logic, etc. A lot of things happen just out of plot convenience. For instance, Kylo abandons the search for BB-8 once he captures Rey, despite not knowing whether or not she's even seen the map. Stuff like this happens every five minutes, you kind of have to watch it with the same suspension of disbelief you'd use for a Saturday morning cartoon. That much being said, the narrative is decently cohesive and followable from a macro standpoint. I really enjoy the visual look of this movie, there's a lot of beautiful cinematography, lighting, etc. I actually think it's a nice modernization of the Star Wars aesthetic (with one exception...the ship design is horribly bland and uninspired).

Overall I prefer Rogue One to The Force Awakens (although I'll admit TFA might be a slightly funner and easier watch, RO gets kind of dark and heavy). I much prefer TFA to TLJ and Solo. For me TLJ was a big old misfire, and Solo was just kind of pitiful and forgettable (aside from a few good aspects). As far as comparing it to the prequels, I think I actually prefer TPM, although this might have more to do with nostalgia. I think I even prefer ROTS, it just seems to have more substance, even if it wasn't executed overly well. It kind of goes without saying that I prefer all the originals over TFA. My current ranking would probably go:

A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    Attack of the Clones
    The Last Jedi

(RO might move up or down a spot, depending on my mood. TLJ could also move up, although I think I legitimately enjoy more moments in Attack of the Clones, part of that being the nostalgia factor).

• Like Like x 2
  12. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Available by prescription only

News Credits:
    Chronicle - 8/10

Best found footage film I’ve seen since Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity 3.

Despite the format there’s no shakiness that often plagues FF movies and the cinematography and special effects are just as good as traditional films.

My complain is that Dane DeHaan’s character bringing his bigass camera wherever he goes, it’s pretty stupid and purely for storytelling convenience.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Battle Angel Alita - 9/10

Fuckin’ loved it. Loved the characters, loved the setting, loved the designs.....loved it all.

Now watch it make no money :p 

• Like Like x 2
  14. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pirate Radio (Rewatch) - 9/10

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

It made only roughly $50 million in the US, but it's crushing it overseas. $60 million in China alone, 100 million overseas total. Doing great worldwide.

Edit: that's now $60 million in the US, and $200 million overseas.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Fighting with my family: 9/10

One plot-based nitpick aside, this was an almost perfect film. Every performance was strong.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    The Old Man and the Gun: 6/10
    Overlord: 7/10

18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - 8.5/10:

Wow. It's rare when a sequel ends on a good note with a third chapter being just as strong as its predecessors, and possibly even better.
    Full of emotion, visual beauty that's staggering (the cave scene is worth the price of admission, alone) and just a feel-good story with great characters and humor that's silly but not to the point of being stupid and ruining scenes.

It's crazy to think that this film series is nearly 10 years old, it feels like it's been a lifetime and for some, it is a lifetime because they grew up with these movies while I just grew old. (lol)

It's been a fantastic ride and this one was nothing short of fantastic. While I'd love to see more adventures with Hiccup and Toothless, I'm happy they're ending it on a high note and not dragging it out to the point of ruining the franchise. These should be regarded as classics because I do believe they'll stand the test of time. If they ever make a sequel, if they ever decide to reboot, I'd certainly hope they'd make it modern times to fulfill Hiccup's vision at the end of this one, and I'd hope it was good, but I'm glad they ended it here. A great film, really.

Wreck-It-Ralph 2: Ralph Wrecks The Internet - 8.5/10:

Okay, the original film didn't do me any favors. I laughed at the Oreo joke and that was it. It felt like a by-the-numbers piece of work with pretty visuals and great voice casting, but that was about it. Sure, it had a message, a good one, but that was about it. This one, though? Fantastic. Visually stunning, the voices are just as good, possibly better and the story was much better. Funny, moving, and bitingly, scathingly honest about life, society, and the internet. A great musical segment with a lot of heart and humor. So much better than the first, I thought.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Hulu's Into the Dark: Down 6/10 For what it's trying to be I suppose 7/10

This is the movie where two coworkers get stuck in an elevator over Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend. Yes, I know, such an original concept!

It's a Blumhouse made for TV movie, so lower your expectations going in and it's enjoyable enough. They actually managed the signature Blumhouse twist much better than some of the higher budget horror flicks manage. The character interactions were fairly well played and believable, though there was some serious levels of stupid displayed by the leads in order to give us the signatory "gotta do this in every horror movie" plot points. I can't really spell that out without spoiling the major "twists" (which you'll see coming a billion miles away), but suffice to say they definitely pounded the "horror characters are always idiots" nail as hard as they could during the writing and editing phases.

A grand total of five actors were used, three of which are only seen for a couple of minutes on either end. The vast majority is just the two stuck in the elevator, so it gave them plenty of time for character development. Though the twists beat down the development pretty handily, and perhaps a bit early for my tastes.

It did have a somewhat satisfactory end, which for Blumhouse moves it up a notch from mediocre. A fun enough way to kill an hour and some change if you like standard schlocky horror, but don't go in expecting something fresh and new.

20. gregles

gregles quintesson

The long kiss goodnight 9/10

This is a bit of a random film to talk about here but I just watched it on TV and it’s a pretty perfect action movie.

The character dynamics and setting have quite a bit in common with what I hope the Captain Marvel movie will end up being as you have a badass one woman army with repressed memory past who schools a goofy but charming Samuel L Jackson into fighting in a world of shady spy’s. I doubt Captain marvel will be able to push it as far as this film with its ratings but if it captures these character dynamics as well it will end up being a fun film.