The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 9/10. Warming up for Fallout's Blu-Ray release, this is a series that just seems to get better with each installment, and a solid entry in a recent string of enjoyable Tom Cruise movies (we'll overlook The Mummy, however!)

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It was the live action with Scarjo.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mission: Impossible: Fallout -8.5/10:

Wow. WOW! The stunts are absolutely breathtaking in this one. And you have to keep reminding yourself that it's not CGI and actually Tom Cruise doing his own stunts. Insane as they are. And I have to give Henry Cavill his props for rolling with the punches, himself and doing a lot of his own stunts.

The twists were great, the story was actually a bit bare and by the numbers, but it worked. If I had any real complaints, they'd be the following:

-Deaths that were unnecessary.
    -Villain reveal way too early in the film. (Really hurts the film a bit, honestly.)
    -A bit too long, overall.

That said, a lot of fun and got my wife wanting to see the others in the series, which I just bought on Black Friday.

Christopher Robin - 7.5/10:

In the end, this was a really sweet and charming film and it made you so happy to see some of your favorite characters come to life on the big screen, finally, after all these years. (And man, do they ever!) Without a doubt, Ewan McGregor is the real winner, here, and he has so much of the movie resting on his capable shoulders and he carries it very well. He deftly switches between broken adult to a cracked up man losing his mind to a happy, loving man who embraces his joy and hope once more without feeling a bit silly even once.

There is a scene in which he has to be overtly silly, fighting Heffalumps (not a spoiler, you'll see what I mean when you watch the film. It's more of an existential thing.) and you honestly feel bad for him because it's so overtly insane and he must've just stood there in between takes saying "WTF am I doing, right now?!" and you honestly feel kind of bad for him. Perhaps he's used to it with working on Star Wars, but in this scene, I could finally understand what Shia LeBeouf was complaining about with Transformers and the tennis balls on a stick thing.

If I had any complaints, and I do, they're the following:

-Far, far too downtrodden and depressing in the first...45 minutes (?) of the film. Christopher's life crisis/dread goes on for way, way, too long and he's a much too bitter and broken man. I know they were aiming for realism, but when the rest of the film is pure fantasy for a good portion of it, the pieces don't entirely jibe too well with each other and leave the film feeling a bit disjointed as they segue from one issue to another, but it somehow works out by the end of the film and settles in as a whole, more or less.

-The film, while having a bunch of charm and heart, could've had just a little bit more. The disappointing adult Christopher is the problem. He's such a sourpuss that he actually drags the film down because good grief, he makes you hate your existence while watching him. Which is both the film's downside while also being one of Ewan's best performances. (Seriously, he's absolutely fantastic in this film.)

-The film was too short. It needed more of a lot of things... What we get is good enough, which is more than a passing grade, but it could've been utterly fantastic. With the film being as short as it is, the way it's structured, it forces the film to be a bit slow. Perhaps TOO slow.

-It's aimed more at adults, less at children. Which is a problem because as content in a film goes, this is more or less a family film. Well...kind of. There's death and war and it's all handled at an adult level with adult pacing which will make children squirm in their seats. We get plenty of Pooh and company screentime, we really do, but they're not given enough time to really unleash their magic. Actually, they get more screen time in a film that doesn't carry their name than the Transformers do in any of the movies carrying their name!

The last act of the film saves it all, though. Robin's transformation into a better husband and father from an already okay/good, but downtrodden one, is a sight to behold and Pooh and company really bring out the best in the cast and the audience, leaving you with a lighter heart, more hope than you had going in and an actual warm and fuzzy feeling when you leave. It has a few missteps along the way, but ultimately pulls off what it aimed to do. I think Walt would actually be quite pleased with this one. It'll even make you shed a tear or two because it is genuinely moving without being sappy or syrupy and makes you realize that even the saddest of us still have some love in our hearts. Sometimes we just need a little help finding it.

4. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hulk (2003) 8.5/10
    The Break-Up 7/10
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 8/10
    Rumor Has It... 3/10
    The Santa Clause 7/10
    The Untouchables 5.5/10
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy 7.5/10
    Ralph Breaks the Internet 5/10
    Bone Tomahawk 8/10
    You Were Never Really Here 8/10
    Brawl in Cell Block 99 8/10

5. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Mandy - Watched Mandy again for the second time good movie probably my favorite of the year. Nicolas Cage's chainsaw fight at the end is the greatest thing filmed by a human. How did the chainsaw end up being so cinematic anyway? Texas Chainsaw, Evil Dead the whole lot.

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Reservoir Dogs: 8/10
    Kill Bill 1/2: 3/10

It's been years since I had watched these, and after being completely let down by The Hateful 8, I revisited them to see if they held up. Dogs, of course, is still the classic it always was (although I had forgotten about the excessive racial slang). KB didn't impress me much when I saw it the first time, and even less so now. Quite a bit of the plot is illogical/nonsensical.

I guess I'm not really a Tarantino fan, I just enjoy a few of his movies.

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Rampage: Big Silly Fun/10

Technically, it's got more logical fallacies in the first few minutes than you can count, let alone the rest of the movie. But they did an excellent job of giving George (the Gorilla) an actual personality. And watching the Rock interact with Jeffery Dean Morgan doing his best charming asshole routine (ala Neegan) was great. I do wish they would have let George's personality shine through a touch while he was in destructo mode, but still, lots of fun as far as big dumb action movies go.

8. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Wachted ocean eleven with my dad yesterday love it 7/10

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    The Possession of Hannah Grace: 7/10

It was ok-ish. Ending was a bit disappointing.

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kelly's Heroes (1970)--8/10.

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The People Vs. Larry Flynt - 8.5/10.

Takes some liberties with the truth and jumps around alot, but damn that Woody Harrelson can act.

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - 10/10
    Why does a movie like that want me to have some damn food?

13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 8/10

This is definitely one of the biggest pleasant surprises I've had in a while. This was a movie I had no interest in seeing, and I frankly thought it looked horrible based on the trailers. As someone who doesn't overly care for the first Jumanji, I thought this was a really entertaining and well-made adventure movie with likable characters who have good arcs.

14. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Liz and the Blue Bird - 5/10

Pretty, but more frustrating than anything else.

15. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    The Secret World of Arietty. 9/10 Love this movie, its such a lush and enchanting take on The Borrowers. Gorgeous soundtrack too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Ralph Breaks the Internet:
    Not as good as the first one, but it's still good on its own.

7.5/10

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven’t brought myself to watch this one, mainly because the synopsis & all the reviews spoiled it for me- and what I heard was the same as what you said. But also for taking the mystery about the xeno’s origins away and replacing it with *that*.
    Prometheus was bad enough when it killed the mystery of the space jockey & revealed it was just a big pale dude wearing a mask. What??? Utterly boring explanation & jettisoned all the creativity out the airlock.

The Alien series has sadly only had 3 good entries, and one of them was the Isolation videogame.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Bohemian Rapsody - 8/10 Finally watched this and I'm impressed. I thought it was so much better than A Star is Born.
    Mowgli - 7/10

19. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Arrival

Really love this movie. It's a perfect blending of fascinating, creepy, hopeful, scary, and beautiful all at the same time. The actors, the cinematography, the music - everything works in it. Only thing I didn't like was the part with the "talk radio" host which was such a grandiose parody of real life, so one point deducted for that in an otherwise perfect movie.

9/10

:thumb 

20. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Bumblebee - 9/10

Kubo and the Two Strings - 8.5/10

Wreck It Ralph 2 - 8.5/10