The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I'm simply one hell of a butler. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Kong Skull Island - I really enjoyed the film and felt it was a better monster flick than Godzilla 2014. Basically, everything that film did wrong I feal Skull Island gets right. Lots of visuals on Kong from go, good and clear monster battles, and human characters who weren't boring one dimensional pieces. Most of the humans, even the jerks, were enjoyable. I also loved the final battle with the giant Skullcrawler where Kong proves where primates have a game up on reptiles... he makes a fucking flail from boat parts!

About the only complaints I have is that they would seemingly kill off human characters who seemed important in just akward ways... like when the head of the Landsat group gets killed in the dumbest way out of nowhere. Or how Goodman's character gets killed later in the film. The other would be how obvious it was that the end credits scene was added after the fact to bring the movie into the monsterverse. Kong was supposed to be proof monster's exist... and yet they had all this proof of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah? Odd.

Also, I'm slightly disappointed that this will probably be the last we see of the two Monarch survivors and Larson & Hiddleston's characters since this was set in the 70's. The end credits scene makes it seem like those four will be important within Monarch, but by all accounts the next two films are set in present day. Though, I guess they could age them up digitally.

2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dunkirk: 6/10
    Why type a review when Jeremy Jahns steals the words right out of my mouth.

3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wreck it Ralph 8/10
    The movie has its flaws about Penelope because she could be a little annoying but if your looking to see a careful movie and see candy and not eat the calories. This movie is for you.

4. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I have all my July movies to do, so I'll try to keep them short:

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 8.5/10

Love Holland as Peter Parker, only like him as Spider-Man. I'm glad they kept him young and are playing up his inexperience. The high-school aged Spider-Man stories have always been my favorite. Keaton's vulture was good, but would have liked to see more of him on screen.

Baby Driver - 7.5/10

Loved the cast, loved the style choices and loved the music. The plot had a few holes that left me scratching my head, but overall, it was a very fun movie and refreshing to see in the middle of the summer blockbusters.

The Big Sick - 8/10

Kumail Nanjiani is hilarious in this, great to see a small character actor get a chance to write and star in a comedy like this. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter were both fantastic as well. Not just a standard comedy, but a great drama as well.

War for the Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10

Great ending to a great trilogy. Was not expecting the plot to unfold the way it did, but it worked very well. Outstanding character moments from all of the main cast is what this trilogy has always excelled at.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 7/10

Beautiful visually. Unfortunately the plot and characters did not do much for me. Was hoping to get a bigger glimpse into the world that was created, it all felt too small of a scale.

Dunkirk - 7/10

I liked that the whole movie felt like the 3rd act of a different movie. I can appreciate that it's meant to portray the moments as opposed to the characters, I just feel that for that same reason, it will really hurt its rewatch-ability now that I know how it plays out.

5. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 9/10

I've heard all of the criticisms and witnessed all of the debates for the past 16 months. My thoughts on the film and it's themes (and the execution of said themes) have evolved. I still love this movie. In fact, I love it more each time I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Se7en
    OMG.... A movie with disturbing implications about the seven deadly sins. The opening title credits really excited me and I was invested right down to that messed up ending. I love how rich in atmosphere this movie is with its uneasiness and such plus the feelings of wanting to leave this city as soon as possible because of all the horrible stuff that happens.
    10/10

• Like Like x 1
  7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ghost In The Shell -8.5/10:

Wow! I was very surprised by this one, it was fantastic.

Slow burning, but with plenty of pay off in the end. A fantastic cast that looked like the anime come to life. It freaked me out, actually.

Speaking of looks... The visuals are incredible. This is a stunning masterpiece for the eyes. Just such a fantastic job.

I felt Scarlett's performance was wooden in the beginning, but it's explained throughout the film and she really nails the role, I thought she was great. And you can tell she's doing at least some of her own stunts and I think that's great. I love when a star actually does the work.

I think this didn't get the fair shake it deserved, what an experience.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh no, it got exactly what it deserved. I hated the movie. They revealed who the villain was in the first 2 minutes, and the whole movie played out as cookie cutter as a Saturday morning cartoon from the 80s. There was no philosophy to be found at all in the movie. No discussions on when does a man become a machine and when does a machine become a man. Pazu, Borma, and Ishikawa never ever got their names mentioned, yet there was some random made up for the movie lady who was with Batou a few times. THey turned Togusa from being a rookie Japanese family man into a 50 year old Chinese drone that also had Ishikawa's computer abillities. Lastly, no Tachikomas.

I can tell the director is a fan of the franchise as he had all of his favorite scenes in the movie that were stitched together by the most basic, artificial premise imaginable. There was no suspense or anything. Oh, and Scarlett Johanssen can not act when she is by herself. She should never be the main lead as she is a supporting actress. The only ones who seemed like they were giving it their all were Beat Takeshi and the dude who played Batou (despite screwing up his backstory).

Other than Aramaki, the best thing about it was the music. That at least sounded like it could have been from Ghost in the Shell.

• Like Like x 1
  9. privatespoon

privatespoon Well-Known Member

Hacksaw Ridge. I'll be honest, if I hadn't been told multiple times how good this was then I may have given up on it. I'm glad I stuck with it though because it was a fantastic film with a great performance from Andrew Garfield.

9/10

• Like Like x 1
  10. knights of Australia

knights of Australia Well-Known Member

Baby Driver 10/10

Fun awesome movie
    Great stunt driving scenes

• Like Like x 1
  11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Monkey Planet #3: 8/10

It drags quite a bit in the end, several dumb moments, very predictable, useless comedy relief, but still visually stunning and quite entertaining. I still fail to see how this is masterpiece though.

12. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Shin Godzilla. 10/10

It really is an important film of this generation and for the genre. I watched it dubbed and I have to say it didn't feel jarring by lip syncing or rough translations compared to older films. The one point I give it good credit for is they never call him Godzilla, and instead stick to his native name, Gojira. Only the American characters do, and the biological study program of him.

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    In honor of The Emoji Movie, I took another look at the previous holder of worst animated film of all time, Rock-A-Doodle.

Good fucking lord this was bad. Don Bluth is generally an animation genius, but good lord. Every single absolute worst thing about anything he does was on full parade in this film. I have read about some executive meddling and honestly I don't know that it really hurt the film that much because it was clearly already that bad.

The only executive decision I approved of on further research was the removal of this scene where the villain prepares a baby skunk in a pie for dinner. He's singing the whole time, while the baby skunk (who was already trapped in a too small cage) is begging to not get eaten, and from the look of it would've had an appropriately young, baby sounding voice. Good lord, THAT was considered a comedy scene? Watching a baby skunk get dangerously close to getting baked alive? Fuck no.

Anyway, lets see. Horribly wimpy attempts at songs. Ugly, overly dark animation. Annoying as hell protagonist who you can't even understand. Nonsensical framing device, stupid reason to kick off the plot.

Patou got some points by virtue of being Phil Harris' final role and actually having a kind of badass moment in the finale where he starts cheering for Chanticleer defiantly to flip off the villain. And then the villain does legit get pissed and snaps at them to shut up. And old Boss Hogg voicing the fox was kinda funny.

Otherwise, no. Just no. It's the worst of Don Bluth in one ugly, stupid package. 0.5 out of 10.

14. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part: 2 - 9/10

• Like Like x 1
  15. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Car Chase Marathon
    Vanishing Point (1971) - 9/10
    Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) - Chuck Norris/10
    The Junkman (1982) - 7/10
    Deadline Auto Theft (1983) - 6/10
    No Man's Land (1987) - 6/10
    Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) - Dogshit/10
    Death Proof (2007) - 8/10
    Drive (2011) - Chuck Norris/10
    Baby Driver (2017) - Chuck Norris/10

16. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Shin Godzilla - It was nice to finally get to see this movie without a billion text titles everywhere, but seriously, do we really need to know that they are in the corridor of the 2nd floor? Why does that even matter? Hell, why not show them in the bathroom and subtitle it, "Executive's Private Bathroom 5th Floor East Quadrant 35 degrees to the West of Tokyo."

Seriously though, the movie was just as good as it was in theaters as I love how disorganized the government is as they have no idea how to handle a monster attack. Not to mention all of the politics involved just to hold a friggin press conference and then again to determine what course of action can be taken. I do love how the situation effects the entire world and not just Japan.

Character wise though, I've come to realize there are only 4 characters that truly matter, and one of them can't even speak English despite being an American born citizen. Thankfully the other three make up for her and it is also cool to see the dude from Gamera the Brave/Kamen Rider Ryuki in this (not one of the important characters though).

The video quality on the BD was quite impressive and I'm not sure if the CGI was touched up a bit or if it was just because I wasn't watching it on the big screen, but it didn't bother me as much this time around. THere are still a few scenes that look really bad (like the dentistry scene and the train bombs), but I wasn't apalled by them as I was initially. Sadly though, the audio was meh. I had to turn my receiver way up just to hear the dialog clearly and the music was quite low. The only time I could tell my subwoofer was working was during the explosion scenes. Despite being ripped right out of Evangelion, the soundtrack is excellent (one of the few things Evangelion does have to its name) and I do love the Ifukube bits.

I'm still unsure where I will place the movie, but it is just as good as the 84 film, if not better. I do think you still could have shaved off a good 20 minutes though. I'm sticking with my 8/10 score.

Oh, that Nerds vs Shin Godzilla feature was terrible. The dude in the red shirt had no idea what he was talking about half of the time. He kept saying Godzilla Jr was in SpaceG when that is Little Godzilla. He said Godzilla changes his beam against King Ghidorah when that was MechaGodzilla. So many mistakes it's like he didn't even watch the films but rather just highlights so he could participate in that segment.

I wish they had done some type of feature on the voice actors or have the people who had to sub the movie talk about their experience subbing it.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You know what he means. It's not like it's a different character. Junior is Junior from his birth in Mechagodzilla II through Destroyer. They call him Baby or Little or whatever, but those aren't names. He's Godzilla Junior.

18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I know what he means, but if he is going to partake in this feature, he should know his facts.

19. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Baby Driver - 10/10

This movie was fucking awesome! Great action, great acting, and the soundtrack was perfect

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Eh, I own all the movies and have watched them more times than I can count, and I call Junior "Junior" regardless of which movie he appears in. I think you're being pedantic on this one.