The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Out - 9/10

Best movie of the year for me. This was my second time seeing it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Right now Get Out is probably still my favorite movie of the year too. Although, I'm kind of divided as I liked Split just as much.

3. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thought Split was pretty damn good for most of it, but the final 20 or so minutes didn't quite do it for me. I've only had the chance to see it once.

4. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    A Night to Remember. 9/10 It was very very good. In some ways I think I like it better then Titanic. Though that was a good movie in its own right.

5. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Wonder Woman (again)

Took my dad to see it this time. Still just as awesome as the first time I saw it. I love this movie so much. This and Logan I think are my two favorite superhero movies; or at least in my top five

6. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

20$ well spent...

Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection on Blu-Ray:

It's very interesting to hear all of the hype when they say this film series was the biggest sci-fi event of all time. This series of films all came out not long before Star Wars completely decimated the sci-fi film genre and exploded popular culture elements into a truly epic deal. That being said this film series is still very impressive, and the new HD treatment for blu-ray makes the picture pop and the images truly amaze. There are decidedly some problems with the continuity between films, especially as the series progresses, however each film is still a strong attempt at posing hard social questions in escapism action and suspense thrillers.

Planet of the Apes: This one started the entire series, it has a perfect level of mystery and suspense on top of insane action elements and impressive effects for their time. Some people might joke at the cheese factor of the ape prosthetics, but these actors really had a lot to work with compared to the CGI heavy madness of current epic features. The film can truly stand the test of time and Charleton Heston works, Roddy McDowell makes for an excellent prosthesis wearing actor and I can see why he returned for pretty much the rest of the series and the short lived television attempt. 8/10.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes: So begins the slippery slope, and what I mean by that is that by the time this film ends everybody is dead. Literally the entire planet of the apes is wiped out by Alpha/Omega and so the end of favorite characters and character death is the watchword for all proceeding films. The entire cast returns and addresses the social questions of the times in an even grander epic with even more action, effects and suspense. Truly a worthy sequel. 8/10

Escape from the Planet of the Apes: Major questions of continuity are introduced here as we are left with some big questions, timeline wise how long did it take to repair Taylor's ship? And why did Doctor Milo approach Cornelius and Zira to convince them into boarding the ship in time to escape the destruction caused by Alpha/Omega? So many questions, and yet the film barely addresses them, just asking you to accept it. The main antagonists really prove that human nature is definitely paranoid and delusional, and of course the main villain has to be a German. I thought making all evil scientists a certain stereotypical race was over after world war two, guess I was wrong. Yeah, I know that sounds insensitive, so sue me. The plot shield is definitely damaged once again as all relevant characters are dead by the end of it. 8/10

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes: Here comes the next social message proving the enslaving a lower caste is going to come back and bite you in the ass. I'm so glad 1991 did not lead to our ape overlords rising to power. If only because it means we can still enjoy these fun films. There's very little to say by this point, effects are still the same and a lot of these movies were being filmed fairly quickly after the last film was over with. I watched the 'unrated' version, which is pretty fucking tame compared to the shit we put in our entertainment these days. Still a strong offering. 8/10 again.

Battle for the Planet of the Apes: The fifth and final installment in the classic series introduces more conflict and more action on a very shoestring budget. The plot is a bit all over the place because of this as battles need to be filmed around the number of extras that could be included. The film also attempts to introduce the origins of the Alpha/Omega cult, which begs the question, is the film series one of those closed paradoxes even with the time travel aspects? Or did Zira and Cornelius manage to change the future, as now Aldo is shunned and ultimately destroyed by his own desires for power and humans still have the ability to speak and are 'living peacefully' alongside the apes at least for the time being. Who really knows, but I do believe that this is still a fairly strong film despite the flaws. 7/10, it loses a point for retconing certain elements seen at the end of the last movie and claiming stuff was said and done that contradicts the attitude of the characters at the end of the last film.

Overall rating for the entire series would be 9/10, a great series of films that tell an interesting if depressing narrative where people are doomed no matter how they try and change, human or ape.

Just need to pick up Tim Burton's remake and Dawn before War hits and maybe the complete television series for dirt cheap to boot if it's being re-released cheap with more promotions and junk for War.

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Arrival- 9/10 - despite the slow start, I ended up really loving it. Liked the twist and how that worked into the human side of the story.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    It's one of my top 10 movies. Although that line Ian said at the end was kinda cheesy haha

9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transformers: Age Of Extinction - 8.5/10:

Now, I'm caught up on all of the previous movies and ready for TLK on Wednesday (probably Tuesday night if they do advance showings, which I'd imagine they will...) and it was a better than average viewing, though flaws really stood out this time.

In no particular order, just as they come to mind while I type this:

Running time. Yeah, this is grueling. 2.75 hours is just way too much time to have Optimus grunting, growling and yelling "I'll kill you!" over and over while Bayhem goes off in the background. 2.5 hours is the sweet spot, slightly less is sweeter, but this is survivable. (It's not BvS levels of "Oh, when is this over?!")

Romeo/Juliet law scene. Yeah, rewatching this made it quite apparent how cringy, in poor taste, out of place and just unnecessary this scene is. I think Cade being mad at them being together was enough, I think ignoring or glossing over this aspect would've been the better choice. It was bad enough to hear about Sam getting his ..."cherry" popped by his high as a kite mother, seeing Wheelie hump legs, dropping F-bombs, and pretty much all of the other questionable content thus far, but this one just makes you sit there and go "Oh. My. Guh... No, just no. NOOOPE." and then you want to go and scrape your skin with a potato peeler just to make it all better.

The human focus in some scenes goes on way too long for nothing but padded filling and could've easily cut some of the run time down.

The logic of having Lockdown in Chicago after what happened in DOTM. (I see why they did it, but just because some guy in the CIA says "It's okay!" doesn't really work.)

On the plus side, the CGI is still top notch.
    The humor's not nearly as dumb as the previous films. It's dumb, but not on their level of utter stupidity.
    Plenty of robot screen time and they're fleshed out as characters more than any of the previous films. Especially Hound. Good grief, we needed him all along. All. Along.
    A nice, simple, straightforward plot with no confusing "We went this way, but we're going this way, now" side story crap.

I do think human characters, across the board, were all leaps and bounds better than the previous casts. (Although, Lennox and Epps were okay.)

Still, my favorite of the series, just those imperfections...man do they stick out with time. Yikes.

10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cars 3 - I went into this with kind of low expectations and came out grinning. It was on par with the first one and was pretty much what the second one should have been. It doesn't help one bit that there is not even a single reference to the second one at all as if Pixar themselves forgot it existed, which makes me question why they just didn't call this one Cars and put a subtitle with it instead of the number 3. It really brings on the attitude people have today with calling anyone older than them an old man and the jokes are down right hilarious. Although, they do get old one in a while. ZING!! There is some really great stuff here and the movie doesn't fully play out the way you would expect it to. There's also a pretty cool scene in there that might please Twisted Metal fans. Nathan Fillion does a good job at playing a sleazeball millionaire while Armie Hammer is good at being the rookie douchebag. However, the star of the show has to go to the lady that voices the race trainer. She did an excellent job here. The jokes were a hit most of the time with maybe only one or two that I can remember being kind of meh. Overall, I give Cars 3 an 8/10.

The short before it was pretty cool too.

Oh, I do have to mention something about the trailers though. They showed us a trailer for Coco (should have been called Book of Life 2 though) which looked cool, but it was way shorter than the trailer they did for some Frozen short that is going to be shown with Coco. Why the hell they had a near 2 minute trailer for what is bound to be a 6-7 minute is beyond me. They pretty much showed what is bound to be the only good jokes from the short in this trailer too. Is Disney so scared of Coco being a new IP that they had to show a trailer for the short that will be before it? Or is Coco that bad?

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Why you don't do any internet research is beyond me. The Frozen holiday short film will be 21 minutes long.

12. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    GOTG Volume 2.

Solid 8.

13. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doctor Strange 6/10

Eh, it was okay. One thing I couldn't help but notice: Did anyone, at all, ever, anywhere, complain about Marvel/Disney pandering to China because the climax takes place in China?

14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    1. Becuase I just heard of it.
    2. Why should I research something I have no interest in researching?
    3. Why would I think to research a Frozen short?
    4. Why are you getting this upset over nothing?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes, but not because of that (really, that shouldn't matter). THe pandering to China is changing the Ancient One from a Tibetan Monk for no reason.

16. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Transformers: Age of Extinction - 9/10.

I really enjoy this film and think it has held up really well. An all time cinematic masterpiece? No. Flawless? No. The best of the Bayverse and an extremely enjoyable summer action flick that is much better in terms of character, story, and theme than it is given credit for in many circles? Absolutely in my opinion, and it gets many big and little things in a Transformers film right! I think TFXProtector makes plenty of excellent points, and I agree with the vast majority of them, so I want to focus on a few other things.

First with the negatives. Yeah, Shane is not a good character by any stretch, and Li Bingbing's and Sophia Myles' characters are non-entities, although they don't really detract from the film either. And yeah, not every scene is edited perfectly, like the high wire scene, and the magnet scene would have been better if it was more like its second half with the Dinobots getting sucked up and less like its first half.

For personal nitpicks I would have liked to see a little more action with Galvatron and Drift, but those are not dealbreakers either.

However, the voice acting is excellent. The robot action is much clearer than in any of the previous films, well shot, and well choreographed. The story actually makes sense in the context of a post-DOTM world, as do the robot characters. It has some gorgeous sets, like Lockdown's ship and the Cretaceous Arctic. I can go on.

I think it is refreshing in the films to have a villain like Lockdown who is not an evil Prime or a warlord trying to enslave or destroy humanity. Not only is he a bounty hunter; he's a bounty hunter with an ideology, and that is neat. An extremely interesting character.

Galvatron and Transformium are underrated. Megatron is resilient and survives as a head, is subordinate to nobody, manipulates the humans, and fools even Lockdown. Galvatron's fight with Prime is very even, and Welker does a great job voicing him. Transformium actually explains many things about transformation, scanning, and alternate modes. I enjoy it as a purely fictional idea.

This film also does a lot of little things better than the other films that in my opinion make a difference. This is the only film where there isn't some alien mcguffin only found on Earth. Rather, Earth was simply one of thousands of worlds cyberformed by the Creators to make Transformium. This is also the only Transformers film where the giant Transformers (Dinobots) survive the events of the film, and every single Transformers character that appears is accounted for; you know who is dead and who is alive for sure out of the characters that visually appear in AOE. The opening scene of the film features a Psittacosaurus whose appearance is based on actual evidence of integument found in a fossil from China, and there are also small heterodontosaurids with primitive plumage based on Tianyulong from China.

But one area where AOE really does not get enough credit is that it actually takes creative risks and shakes things up. You know what the fourth film should not have been? A Witwicky family adventure with the Autobots and NEST hunting more Decepticons. That might have pleased more fans of the previous live action films, but it would be nowhere near as creative, nor would it help the universe grow in meaningful ways. There are actual consequences for the events in Chicago as well as consequences for events in AOE itself. Lockdown and alien bounty hunters. Cemetery Wind. Creators. Human-made Transformers. Optimus Prime losing faith in humanity. The Autobots not being fond of humanity or each other. These are new things for the universe. AOE is to the Bayverse what the 1986 film/Season 3 is to Sunbow and Beast Machines is to the Beast Era, and for that I love it. I can understand why people, especially fans of the earlier Witwicky films, wouldn't like it, but I love it.

I look forward to TLK and certainly hope it's enjoyable! And if you (or I for that matter) don't enjoy it I hope something comes along in the future that you do!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alien: covenant - 7/10
    Basically it is prometheus 2. Not bad as a sequel to that, but not great as an Alien film.

The World's End - 9/10
    Pegg/Frost film. Starts off a little slow but gets better.

White Man's Burden - 5/10
    Take race relations film and make role reversed. It is a world where whites are the minority and black racial majority. Black people are the rich, whites the poor. John Travolta plays a lower class man who is fired from his job. He blames the rich black man who he delivered a package to. He tries to get money he feels the man owes him and takes him hostage. Very cliched film. It is mediocre.

18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nah, Covenant is not even remotely close to being Prometheus 2. Prometheus 2 would have continued the story of Shaw, not
    killed her off off screen. PLus, it would have actually continued the story of the Engineers instead of becoming Xenomorph bullshit

19. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rambo Trilogy

First Blood 9.5/10
    This is a great movie in terms of just stand alone. This movie is clearly the best for a lot of reasons. Here, while Rambo is an action hero we found a lot of layers about him in this movie. He is vulnerable and a menace to his enemies. His own background as a Vietnam vet plays out as if he is still in war, which explains why he is so paranoid. The movie sees America still as a war zone where he fights off local authorities who as antagonists provide an interesting irony in how much they are alike with the enemies back at overseas.

Richard Crenna as Colonel Trautman is great as well as Brian Dennehy as the sheriff Will Teasle. It does get a little overboard towards the end but this movie still is incredible to watch and the emotions we feel for Rambo as he stops fighting are earned. Oh and Jerry Goldsmith, what a composer....

First Blood Part 2 6.5/10
    The first movie had a book to adapt while this movie had a screenplay which included James Cameron. This movie's decision to show us SE Asia was cool and I think that was a fresh thing that I like. The story had some potential I feel, in fact maybe this movie could have been the prequel on what happened so we can once again emotionally connect with Rambo. Unfortunately it's more of a popcorn flick this time around which is fine but would have benefited if we are more immersed with the characters.

They try to set up a romance in this movie.... Didn't work... It was underdeveloped. And a nonsensical plot point which involves a betrayal, which if you take out Rambo might have sort of completed his task. The action was alright, I can watch it fine but this movie is definitely missing something the first movie had which was a cohesive emotional arc.

Rambo 3 6.5/10
    This movie once again takes us to a new location which is the best thing for me once again. They did try to fix a couple of issues the second film had but it's still kind of the same result. Rambo goes on a mission once again but in a strange manner. We find that he does not want to fight anymore and just live a normal life which of course doesn't happen for him. I think the action is a little more exciting than before but it doesn't really make it all up.

Trautman is given something special of a role and now we find that he and Rambo are more like friends rather than their traditional military roles. The villain has more presence in this but he's generic. Plus I should also note that this movie feels a little like propaganda which makes sense because of the historical setting for this movie. Really I feel both movies 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

Overall, this trilogy isn't a complete masterpiece with the first one being a magnum opus. Consistently the best parts of the trilogy include Stallone, Crenna, the production design of the films and Jerry Goldsmith who is music genius. Once again, the first movie is the one I really want to own.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I agree, Cars 3 definitely is what Cars 2 should have been all along, but somebody thought Mater was the character they should continue the franchise with, we all saw how terrible that turned out. To the point that Mater in Cars 3 is barely there, he must have, what? 20 minutes of screen time tops, including the end credits scene. Someone definitely was perhaps a little overcompensating for the detrimental effect he had on Cars 2, however to say they didn't acknowledge it is a bit much, I'm fairly certain the museum of Lightning's accomplishments included a reference to the racing he did in that movie.

A113 has never been so blatant before though, that was arguably the most obvious reference to A113 since Wall-E.

As far as your comment goes for the trailer for the short, Disney hasn't advertised a short in front of a movie since I believe The Prince and the Pauper starring Mickey Mouse, I could be wrong about that, but it has been a considerable time. Most film companies don't bother, most film companies don't bother making shorts anymore either. Be that as it may, this is a perfect marketing scheme, Coco is not bad, it's a new property/IP and those are always hit or miss, but if you advertise that you're going to have a FROZEN Short in front of your movie you're all but guaranteeing 200 million opening weekend because of the Disney Princess and Frozen fanatics crowd.

The Good Dinosaur was a terrible movie, or at least a very weak one, but if Disney had slapped a Frozen short in front of that they would have definitely made back a ton of cash on people paying to go see that alone. You could argue that because of this they've decided to put the short up in front of Coco to convince people who may have waited for television or home video to see it week of release, hopefully the film will turn out good, from what I saw of the new trailer the story looks rather interesting and is definitely not Book of the Dead 2, for one thing there's no romance angle involved and so far it doesn't appear to have a dedicated villain, which not all Pixar films have or need. So there's that going for it.

As far as Cars 3 is concerned, I agree with your rating as well, it's a solid 8/10 for me and definitely worth seeing. If you're an adult, most of the younger generation were getting bored at the hour and 30 minute mark judging by their restlessness and weren't understanding most of the adult jokes aimed at the older generation. (No people, not those types of adult jokes, but the situational type involving growing old and having younger folks step up to take your place.)