The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Captain America: Civil War - 9/10

2. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Concussion - 8/10 Really good, but felt like a great deal was left out in order to keep the NFL from crying.

3. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Captain America: Civil War - Epic/10

It's every bit as much Captain America 3 as it is Avengers 3 and Iron Man 4, and is easily the single best massive ensemble film ever made. Not just because there's so many cool characters - because every single one of those characters were also given GREAT amounts of development that never once felt stuffed in for the sake of stuffing more people in. All that plus being the perfect blend of an award worthy political thriller ala Winter Soldier AND popcorn action movie AND superhero movie all in one. THIS is what next level writing, directing & acting looks like, and tenfold proof of exactly how great these kinds of "just a comic movie" films can be when the proper talent and time is put in behind the scenes. I won't name other franchises or directors that always seem to hide behind "it's just a summer blockbuster" when their shit movies are ripped apart by audiences & critics alike, but I sure as hell hope ALL of them watched this and got schooled on how good these actually can be with proper effort.

The only downside of this movie is, due to it being SO good, pretty much every other superhero movie hereafter is really going to struggle to ever match the quality... even other character-specific MCU movies. It's going to be extraordinarily difficult for audiences to see another kickass ensemble like this and then back peddle to being content with just 1 or 2 characters doing their thing for an entire movie.

4. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn. Everbody's seen Civil War cept me. I'll join the club at 7:00 tonight. I just love a great Friday night movie.

5. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

That's okay. I haven't seen it yet either. I am planning to see it in theaters with my brother next Saturday.

6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Fifty Shades of Black 7/10 it was what I expected from the Wayans...

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Captain America: Civil War - 9/10:

This is, without a doubt, an excellent film, period. Quite possibly the best Marvel movie, EVER. (No, I'm not joking.) The Avengers? Beaten. The Winter Soldier? Beaten.

This is more action driven than political like TWS was, which is a welcome change. Don't get me wrong, the political twisting and turning of TWS was solid and made for a GOOD story, but it had it's time in the light and it's time to get back into the action.

CW does exactly that. They touch on politics, what's right, what's wrong, injustices, but they bring on the action. Hot and heavy.

That's also the film's problem.

The film is excellent, the performances are top notch and it feels like all of the characters receive a pretty good amount of screen time, so no one feels completely left out. (Pretty hard balance, but the Russo's pulled it off.) The story is rock solid and unveils MAJOR secrets that'll drop your jaw and leave it on the floor. Even bigger than S.H.I.E.L.D. is actually Hydra.

There are slow moments, there are talky moments, there are world building moments and then there's action. A lot of it, I might add. You have a bit of downtime, then all of a sudden comes a giant action sequence that goes and goes and goes like a Transformers city destruction sequence. And they even threw in TF1's shaky cam, if the enormous sequences weren't enough.

It. Is. Relentless. RELENTLESS.

Because of this, the pacing feels off and the film feels a LOT longer than it should. It's 2.5 hours long but it feels like 3-3.5, honestly. The Russo's took a page out of the Michael Bay playbook and made the fight scenes just an endless barrage of "What the hell is going on?!" and a simple fist fight turns into a 10 minute assault on the senses. This film beats the shit out of it's participants AND the audience.

Just when you think the film is over and you're coming down from the rush, you're blindsided by another 30 minutes. When you think THAT's over, you're hit with another 20! And finally, when you truly, truly, TRULY believe the film/story is over...there's another friggin' 10 minutes! And all along, it's a relentless, bombastic, explosion filled sensory overload fest.

It gets to be a little much by the end of the film. People claim the Transformer films are relentless, I kind of understand what they're talking about, I never disagreed there, but CA:CW definitely lives up to what Transformers films have accomplished for years and it feels a bit off in the Marvel universe.

That's my only real criticism is that the film is utterly relentless. An excellent film, one I'd watch again and again, but damn is it long and the action goes on for waaaaay too long. I mean way too long.

That said, if you have to see one versus film this year, make it this one and skip Batman V Superman all the livelong day.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Captain America: Civil War - 9/10

My views on the movie are a lot like everyone else's and it's a nice way to take the characters in a new direction too.

9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These were some of the best performances they've ever given. I knew Robert Downey Jr was a fantastic actor, but his performance was so good that you not only felt for Tony, but you even understood his point/side of it. As well as Steve's.

RDJ just absolutely carried every scene he was in and it was fantastic.

And the entire cast was excellent so that's saying something.

I wish Marisa Tomei hadn't been such a throwaway. Shame she didn't get more screen time. One of the funniest scenes of the film.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Captain America: Civil War

Wow,
    unusually attractive Aunt May indeed! I guess they really do come in all shapes and sizes
    . Total surprise, I never would have seen that twist coming. If you think you know everything about this movie before seeing it, think again. So glad they didn't spoil this in the trailers. Absolutely incredible, just mind blowingly good. By far the best on-screen, nay, best representation of that character in any media ever. It's a masterpiece.

11. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    The Truman Show - 10/10

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    I saw this coming, I thought the orignal was just a live action Family Guy episode.

13. Kingfish333

Kingfish333 Well-Known Member

Captain America Civil War - 2/10

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Captain America 3 / Iron Man 4 / Avengers 3: 10/10

Saw it with the kids this time.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    My almost spoiler free video review of Civil War. The only spoiler is after the credits, so you can stop there if you haven't seen the movie yet (not that it is that big of a spoiler):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5tLvW6wJI

Also trying something new with my Quickie Reviews by not showing any movie footage since Hollywood is getting ridiculous with their copyright claims, so let me know if it worked. This may be the best way for me to do Quickie reviews. Although, I feel like I'm ripping off Jeremy Jahns a little with this one...

16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Captain America: Civil War- 10/10
    I'll have to see it again, but this could be the best comic book movie of all time. The cast is the best they have ever been, and all of their motivations make sense. The action scenes are visceral and completely awesome. The movie is well-paced and directed very well. It's basically the Empire Strikes Back of the Marvel universe. My (mostly) full thoughts on the movie can be found in the Civil War thread.

2016 is spoiling us. Deadpool and Civil War were both fantastic movies. If Apocalypse and Doctor Strange deliver, this will be the best year for comic book movies ever.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

captain america 3;

the movie was a lot more fun than the batman v superman film. the action is entertaining. the characters are vastly more likable. although, marvel still doesn't do enough to develop villains. but that is okay. since that is sort of their theme now. i guess they just figured it'd give more time to develop the heroes.

Captain America's movies have been my favorite of the marvel movies. and they will probably continue to be. I think winter soldier was a better film, but I think this is one i'd probably watch more often. so i probably favor this one over winter soldier. however, first avenger remains my favorite of the marvel movies.

i also like how there was better context to the civil war fight than
    superman trying to kill batman because lex told him to, instead of trying to find martha, which he could do in 22 seconds, and he had an hour to do so. which makes superman appear to be just as big of an idiot as he was in superman 1, where lex tells him that he can not stop both missiles, and 20 minutes later he's flying fast enough to change the earth's rotation, and go back in time.
    but yea, unlike that movie, there is actual context to the "war" and it doesn't force the characters to change just to make them fight.

i like how the collateral damage is starting to come back to haunt the avengers. people are dead, and the families of the dead are pissed. i like that.

i also like how the events of the movie are not really completely resolved. and there are consequences to their actions. the avengers are divided. and for the first time, the villain has actually won.

i also really like how this was both Captain America's movie, and Ironman's. both got a lot of screentime. I felt like they were pretty much even. they were also both played to be neither right, or wrong, on why they are fighting each other. and their own personal ideals.

i do not feel like anything was forced. i do not feel like i did after seeing batman v superman. i also do not feel like this is just a big Ad for other movies coming up. as the other heroes popping up, does have context to it.
    i liked hawkeye being in it. I really enjoyed seeing him again. still want a hawkeye film. come on marvel! lol

i see this, and i just wished DC was able to do put out the same quality of superhero films as marvel. as i like DC more than marvel. but, it seems that will likely be a long time before that happens.

overall, the film was a whole lot of fun. i highly recommend it! 9 out of 10.

also, on a side note, the end credit scenes at the end of the movies either need to get better, or need to be put sooner. as they are starting to feel like a big waste of my time. while i liked the spiderman scene, it just felt like i didn't need to see it. felt like they should have swapped the two scenes. as the avengers being in black panther's country, and the giant black panther statue, was vastly more interesting, and would have felt like a more rewarding scene for those who actually stayed. but as these things are, the after credit scenes need to stop, or get more interesting. i felt like i was wasted my time waiting for it.

18. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    civil war - 9.99999/10

oh yes, both deadpool and civil war were absolutely incredible.

you're right.. the action was fantastic, the story was great, spider-man was incredible, and robert downey jr really killed it, he was great in this movie, his best yet.

i've never been a huge spider-man fan. i don't dislike him, but he's never been one of my favorites.. and i think this movie nailed it with him. his personality, his voice, the suit, tom holland was perfectly cast. now i can't wait to see his standalone movie.

you're right about the cast. it was perfect.. RDJ is the perfect iron man, evans is the perfect steve rodgers, tom holland is the perfect peter parker, bettany is the perfect vision... and so on. there isn't a single dud in the bunch.

anyways.. i could go on, but i'll head to the proper thread for that.

19. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Captain America: Civil War - 10/10
    Despite the perfect score, it's not a perfect movie, but the flaws are menial to me and I just enjoyed it tons. It was one of the few Marvel films where my first thought after watching it was "I wanna watch it again!" (Shared with the other recent film Ant-Man, as well as Iron Man and Guardians)
    Great action that is just a blast to watch, heavy drama that doesn't kill the movie, and comedy that flows naturally and only in places where it fits.
    Really, aside from the villain's plot (Who is pretty divisive on whether or not you'll like. I personally did), the other flaws are just that you have to be a bit more versed in the MCU than usual (You may wanna brush up on The Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, and Ant-Man before diving into this movie) and the beginning of the film is both slow before you get into the meat of things, and fast in that a lot happens in a short amount of time to set up the main plot.

20. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    Captain America: Civil War - 9.5/10

I loved this movie! The Captain America trilogy is one of the best superhero trilogies ever and Civil War is the best comic book film of all time, so far. Spidey and Black Panther were awesome and this was a nice introduction for them into the MCU. Now I'm really excited for their solo films!