The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's not like the Rurouni Kenshin dubs were good to begin with, and since ADV would have used a different voice cast for the SX dubs, it would make them even worse.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think one thing we're going to have to accept about Avengers films is that they will be big on hordes; no single villain so far (with the obvious exception) would pose much of a threat to the Avengers as a unified force.

At the very least, Loki and Ultron were charasmatic villains with a bit of flair that makes watching them fun.

3. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Will post more detailed thoughts later in the AoU thread, but Avengers: Age of Ultron was pretty good. It definitely has problems and I'd say there are at least 3 films in the MCU that I like more, including the first Avengers, but it was enjoyable.

4. IamSoundwave

IamSoundwave Well-Known Member

Avengers:Age of Ultron 8/10.

5. Ultra saber

Ultra saber WRECK AND RULE

News Credits:
    Monsters University - 7/10, falls short of Monsters Inc but still enjoyable

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Avengers: Age Of Ultron 9/10:

Let's cut right to it: This was a fun movie, simply put. Fun works on so many levels and it was nice to see Whedon and company go for it full throttle.

The best scenes:
    Opening sequence
    Hulkbuster (Come on, who didn't love that?)
    Almost every one with Ultron in it. (Oh hell, every scene he was in.)

The worst scenes:
    Thor in the pool (it just felt forced and out of place)
    The farmhouse in general (although it was nice to see who's it was and how it tied in. The scene itself worked as a stand alone piece, but to have it thrust right into the middle of one of the most action packed films I've seen in a while...eh.)

Speaking of those two scenes, I must agree with the other people about the edits... You can tell there are scenes missing and the flow isn't quite right. Like I said, it's action packed and then comes to a crawl at the farmhouse (which again, is a really nice scene, but was better suited in another Marvel film, perhaps) picks up a bit in a weird bit of side story with Thor and the pool and then goes back to the farmhouse to slow down again and then back into the action.

Very disjointed in the middle. You can definitely feel it while watching, but even with that it was still an enjoyable film and I found it better than the first. I surely hope the extended cut of 3 hours comes to home video because you can tell those are necessary scenes. Even some of the fighting scenes feel a little clipped as well.

Vision was quite good, Paul Bettany plays calm, cool and collected like you wouldn't believe. He was a nice change of pace in a film full of crazy, which is odd because HE worked, while certain scenes just didn't in this current cut.

Ultron, however, was amazing. Well, personality wise. To be honest, I didn't find him to be much of a threat, or at least not one as impressive as previous villains. His plan to end humanity was a neat idea, but nothing we haven't seen before, honestly. It didn't exactly seem worthy of the Avengers' attention, really. It all worked out in the end because Whedon knows what he's doing with this material and still found a way to make it matter, but...yeah, Ultron's plan wasn't exactly a nailbiter "Oh no! Will they make it?!" kind of deal, you knew all along they were going to win some way, some how and it was a bit outlandish, even. His personality, however, made up for it in spades and James Spader was nothing short of phenomenal.

He made you actually feel for Ultron in brief little snippets (because while you didn't agree with what he was doing, you could understand WHY he wanted to do it) and he could make you laugh. Ultron had some terrific one liners that made the entire audience laugh. Sometimes scripted comedy like that sounds good on paper, but doesn't work in action (SNL, anyone?) but it did here.

Oh and the best comedy piece, which lasted throughout the entire film, was Cap and the swearing. Oh man, people loved the hell out of that bit and it was timed just right. It was a perfect joke that didn't go too long or get overused. Juuuust right.

I will agree with the critics on one thing: It IS overbloated and there are so many people to deal with. It's not just the Avengers, or Ultron, but you have the twins as well, plus new sides of characters you'd have never expected (but are welcome ones, which is why the farmhouse scene DOES work) but it's just soooo bloated. I think the extended cut would certainly help give those characters more time to work with, rather than cramming them all together as they are currently.

I absolutely recommend it and think it's an excellent addition to the MCU. It's not perfect by any means and it does rehash some of the first film (let's not kid ourselves here), but it's a lot of fun and does shed some light on two very deserving characters that finally get their due, and one who was kind of let down by previous efforts and ended up getting it right this time.
    Hulk

If you've been watching AOS, you'll see how it plays into the storyline in the show and now I can't wait for Tuesday's episode...should be quite good.

7. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

TITAN A.E. - 7.5/10

I'm not saying this movie is a masterpiece, but man, this movie is hideously underrated.

It definitely managed to capture the immensity of space. The ice field sequence was sheer brilliance; seeing the ships dwarfed by a huge cluster of ice - then to see that cluster of ice dwarfed by an even larger cluster - feels really humbling. More than anything, this movie just felt good to look at.

Overall, it's a fairly basic plot, but I don't think it needed to be anything overly complex. It's one of those movies that kinda embraces what it is and/or its genre, like PACIFIC RIM or INDEPENDENCE DAY (I dunno if that was the intent of ID4, but that's just how I feel about it when I see it).

It's not the best movie ever, but I get a kick out of it every time I watch it.

8. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    back from Avengers: AOU... simply put, fun movie with great action... that said, it felt rushed and there were too many sexual innuendo's referring to - well, watch it and you'll know... for that aspect alone, minus a whole point from my overall score.

8/10

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

regardless of what you think of the anime's dub, i would just assume that the live action dub, would be much worse. i haven't seen a "good" live action dub to date. maybe there are out there. maybe i have just not seen them. but so far, to date, i have not.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

A:AOU 11/10 might be the only movie I pay to watch twice in the theaters

11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Sorry, but huh? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. What does the Kenshin movie have to do with live action dubs?

Eliminating this would completely destroy Hawkeye's character development, something he was severely lacking.

12. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    A vast improvement over the previous movie. This movie to me was as heavy as Wrath of Khan and deals with a big subject of racism and prejudice over the Klingons who want to make peace but hands behind the shadows don't want this change and want to leave the cycle of hate runs forever. Even if it was an analogy for the Cold War it's still relevant these days and it's as strong as it was before.

I think what I loved the most in this movie is being one big crime drama. Not that it didn't happen before, but this time to kept it too mysterious and kept making me guess what has happened or who was the murderer and I fell for some false alarms and red herrings till the revealed everything at the end.

Kirk's writing here was impressive as well. They didn't make him a Gary Sue as he used to be but actually making him really guilty for his prejudice thoughts over the Klingons and that court scene was marvelous. And speaking of that scene, did I misheard them or the Klingon there was named Worf? Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a different Worf than the Next Generations ones.

Final movie starring the original cast, but at least it didn't go in a sour note like the fifth movie

9/10

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another Whedon classic! :thumb 

I left his name out on purpose so it wouldn't be spoiled because it's such a surprising scene....

Anyway, I agree about the scene's necessity, it's just the editing that's the problem. Pacing was a big problem for this film.

14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Titan AE actually made me think of War Planets due to how similar the Drej were to the Beast Planet natives.

15. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Ted - 7/10

Now you see me - 7/10

Snitch - 9/10

Pain and Gain - 8/10

Braveheart - 10/10

Spread - 6/10

Transformers AOE - 6/10

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

because i can read.

17. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oops. I only read Samurai X The Movie, so I thought he meant the ADV DVD.

Why would a fansub have a dub though?

18. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Avengers age of ultron- 10/10

19. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8/10

20. TFAOptimus

TFAOptimus Mysterion Rises

American Sniper - 8.8/10