The Last Knight R/C Sqweeks

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by tikgnat, Dec 21, 2017.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So... I'm not entirely sure this needs a hugely long review, or loads and loads of pictures. Maybe I should take a picture of him in the packaging? The controller? Do you need to see all that? Yes? No? Or can I be lazy?

Anyway it seems I am well on my way to having a good Sqweeks collection. I mean what am I missing? The Tiny Turbo Changer Sqweeks. But he will be mine... soon. Hopefully. R/C Sqweeks doesn't convert (much like the Allspark Powered Sqweeks) and he baaasically has two points of Articulation, his right arm goes up and down on ratchets, his left arm moves up/down and out. He runs off 6 AA batteries, 4 inside him (giggidy) and 2 inside the controller. The controller is an Infra Red controller, so using him in super bright light or with other IR devices might not be such a great idea.

Here he is along with Deluxe 'Premier' (as in 'First') Edition Sqweeks and the Allspark Powered Sqweeks starter pack.

17-12-21 (1) copy.jpg

Yeah, he's a big boy. He's not that big, but y'know. Compared to the other two yeah he is. So, in a nutshell, he is a Radio Controlled Sqweeks. I know. Quelle suprise! He has a little more than that to justify the cost, aside from the normal forward/backward and left/right switches on the satisfyingly chunky controller, there are also a couple of shoulder buttons.

One is a dance mode, and one is 'blaster' (more on this in a minute). Dance mode, you press it, and it'll play one of a selection of tunes (three maybe?) and 'dance' to it. And by dance I mean randomly move around with the music. In this mode he has cool blue light up eyes, but check out his suspiciously muscular right arm...

17-12-21 (8) copy.jpg

He comes with a mahoosive gun, to fit onto his mahoosive arm, it just clips in place. When you do, his eyes turn red, and suddenly cute little Sqweeks is a lot more... sinister. All the functions are there, so he moves around and can dance and stuff, but now the blaster button does something. Without the gun, Sqweeks will play a empty clip sound and a warble. With the gun in place, he'll do one of a few gun functions, a little machine gun, big cannon, laser, and do a different recoil effect depending on the noise.

His wheels are large and grippy, which means he goes forward/backward at a fair clip (not too fast) but he turns around his axis quite quickly. Because his wheels are large and his motor is fairly beefy he has a surprising amount of torque.

17-12-21 (6) copy.jpg

And that's pretty much all there is to it and for the asking price (£70 in the UK) I would say pass... except for one thing. He is absolutely spectacular fun. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe it's the satisfying clunkiness of the controller. Maybe it's the fact when you move him around he'll pay a whole myriad of sounds, aside from loads of 'Chiwawas' he has squeaky wheel noises, clanks and all sorts. If you move his huge arm, again he'll pay different noises. Just so many sounds.

His helmet is also loosely fitted, so when he rolls around it bobs up and down over his eyes. One very bad/good thing about it is he has no physical on/off switch. To turn him off you have to hold him upside down for 8 seconds, where he'll let out a plaintive wail and then switch off. Turning him on is simpler, just turn him upside down and he'll activate.

If you leave him unattended for a bit he'll randomly move around on his own. Like he's alive. This does make taking pictures of him more difficult, because you line up the shot and he's away. But all of this adds to his... atmosphere? He's not just a simple R/C robot, he has bags of character.

Now, I brought him to the pub yesterday with some other Transformer minded friends, and despite their initial WTF and distain (it's a toy from TLK! But you know me, I like One Steps) they were all genuinely curious. And everyone had a go. Not once, not twice, but the controller went around and around and around.

In different hands Sqweeks caused chaos. His torque was strong enough to push dinner plates off the table. Whirling with around with his gun attachment things became very dangerous for all the drinks on the table. A pot of yoghurt went flying. He had a chip on the end of his gun. He may have attacked somebodys mint sauce. He faced up against Primus. 3P, POTP, nothing was safe. If you left him alone for 30 seconds he'd just go off on his own and try and dive off the table.

Now, I think he's great, but I got him at a heavy discount of £30, and that was along with a Buy One Get One Half Price at one of our ailing TRU's. Perhaps that's still too steep. It could be that everyone had massive fun with him because they'd paid absolutely nothing for him, or maybe it was all the alcohol. Whatever the reason, everybody was laughing. Either at him, or with him, I'm not sure. But did it matter? No, it probably doesn't.

Lastly, I woke up this morning and the kids (6 and 3) were helping themselves to him. Simple enough to just pick up and play.

So, from the steaming pile of cack that is 'The Last Knight' Sqweeks is possibly the only good thing to come out of it, and this R/C toy seems to embody him perfectly.

:thumb 

Edit
    And now he's on sale at Amazon for £18! Bargainus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073FT41HS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QvmpAbN1EC37Q

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vertex

Vertex Still Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    RC Sqweeks is one sinister mofo.

Forget the Lloigor, Darth Binks, and the Leopard from Lime Street, this is the face of true terror:

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 23.15.02.png

• Like Like x 1