The Last Comic/TPB/Manga/Etc You've Read and Rate It Out of 10

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Transformers: Till All Are One #7

7/10

2. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been reading on a few series runs lately.

X-O Manowar v3. Gone thru the first 18 issues already of the 50 Issues it ran. Really great stuff. Lots of fun, with mostly spectacular artwork. 7/10

Astro City #41. The 100th issue issue of the series overall. This is why I love me some Kurt Busiek. He fills this 20-some page story, without making it feel like an illustrated novel, and he manages to tell an incredible and complete story in just one issue. If you haven't ever read Astro City, go grab a copy. Most issues are done-in-one, with only a few longer arcs. One of those rare comics rather I'd easily give a 10/10.

Just read chapter one of Astro Boy the other night. (No relation to the above.) It's part of a the first collection of the classic Manga. Really beautiful and expressive artwork. I'm looking forward to reading the rest if this series. 7/10

(Side note: I'm a little taken aback that a comic written for children fifty years ago needed a warning label for American adults in the 2010s. If you're that offended by everything, just go live in your safe space and leave classic children's comics alone. FFS)

Super Sons #1. I've been looking forward to this one since certain it was announced. It was funny and charming. These two have a great chemistry. Pete Tomasi has been nailing SUPERMAN and he does it again with this spinoff. 8/10

Oriental Heroes #1. This Jademan Hong Kong kung fu comic was published in the US a couple of decades ago. The printing was terrible. Even for the time. The lettering looks like it done by a literal drunken monkey. It's really hard to follow with the terrible littering and print quality. It might be a good comic, but it's too hard to follow this edition to tell. 3/10

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The comic came out in 1988, and actually, the printing and coloring were both better than what was coming from Marvel and DC at the time. This was before computer coloring, and everything from the Big-2 was still all flat colors, while Jademan's comics were full of airbrushing and sometimes full painted panels. The lettering was admittedly shit, but was done on the super-cheap. Mike Baron, one of my favorite 1980s writers (who at the time was writing Punisher for Marvel and had just come off of launching Wally West's first comic as the Flash at DC) did the English script. The money wasn't going to be good, so his stipulation to Jademan was that they set up a personal meeting with Jackie Chan, who was a personal hero of his, and he actually got to have lunch with the guy.

Just a weird little backstory to that comic.

Oriental Heroes, like most Hong Kong comics, is a bizarre rambling mess compared to the more structured stories we're used to. But it's a lot of fun if you continue with it. It was also adapted into a decent kung fu movie, Dragon Tiger Gate, maybe a decade or so ago.

Anyhow, if you want to read a much better comic from Jademan (slightly more structured and much more solid artwork), check out Blood Sword and Blood Sword Dynasty (really the same comic, but they jumped way ahead closer what was being printed at the time in HK).

[​IMG]

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

The new Raven miniseries was very disappointing. About 3 issues of material stretched to double that. Terrible pacing, uninteresting central conflict, a misused and underdeveloped side cast, and a failure to deliver on the initial premise.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Finally finished the first TPB of IDW's Micronauts.

2/10 if I'm being generous. Avoid. The germ of a couple good ideas turned to crap in the execution.

I was going to try IDW's ROM if this turned out well, but that plan is out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Just started reading Southern Bastards via Comixology Unlimited.

I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I've only read through the second issue so far, but I guess I'd give it 8.5/10.

7. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #51
    8/10

8. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Foolkiller was actually really cool. Was disappointed it was only 5 issues long and that one of them was dedicated to Deadpool.

9. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My Little Pony: Friends Forever #32

8/10.

10. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Transformers: Prime Directive.
    6/10
    When it first came out, I thought it was great. However, after 15 or so years later, it doesn't hold up. At least not compared to what IDW did a few years later.

11. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Saga Issues #37-42 - 9/10

I'm sure these will be released in a collected volume (if they aren't already), my LCS didn't get issue #37 for some reason and it's taken me until now to finally track a copy down and get caught up.

It's great stuff from BKV and Staples as has become expected from this series. That ending was a real tear-jerker though.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just started with Amazing Spider-man: Worldwide TPB (issues 1-5) and I give it 8/10!

Kinda shocked that Peter is now a CEO of a company of sorts! He's just like Bruce Wayne but less brooding and definitely more down to earth than Tony Stark (no offence to his fans). The weird thing is that I kinda enjoyed what I read and I'll be picking up vol. 2 next!

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Tom King's 12-issue Vision series. Great book. I give it 8.5/10 as a Marvel book, maybe 4 or 5/10 as a comic in general.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spider-man: Worldwide vol. 2!

Continuing the adventures of Peter Parker as he goes global! His next adventures includes encounters with Mr. Negative and Scorpio (returning from vol.1). I'm still getting used to Peter being a billionaire but I kinda like the stories approach Dan Slott is going for, Its kinda 'light-hearted' and 'action packed'...not so brooding like the ones I used to read in the past.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Batman: Second Chances, reprinting Max Alan Collins' run (and a few issues written by Starlin) relating to Jason Todd prior to his death.

They're fun issues, but it's kind of weird they start at a point prior to the Jason Todd origin/personality reboot, when he was still the pre-CoIE nice kid orphaned from circus performer parents, then do the new origin where suddenly he was the kid of a dead criminal and a dead junkie, and meets Batman while stealing tires off the Batmobile. I also have to say that while I enjoyed the issues included as a time capsule of a simpler time (and all of Collins' goofy wordplay character names -- you can see why he was chosen to take over the Dick Tracy newspaper strip), the retcon story of how Batman forced Dick Grayson out of the Robin role for his safety, only to then hire Jason Todd as a new Robin in the very same story, is awkward as hell. I remember not liking these Collins issues at the time (although I was a big fan of his Ms. Tree series), and rereading them, it's easy to remember why I didn't like them.

On the other hand, I didn't like Starlin's issues at the time, either, when he took over as writer... But those issues I now think hold up very well. They're much better than I gave them credit for back then, imo.

But the biggest takeaway from this book is how much I wish Mike DeCarlo had never worked for DC. He's like the Vince Coletta of the 1980s and 1990s or something. His inking ruins one Cockrum-drawn issue, and he then proceeded to ruin every Aparo issue that followed... not only in this book, but for many issues afterward...all the way through Knightfall and beyond. Maybe DeCarlo was super-fast or easy for the editor to work with, but he was a terrible fit for Aparo. He completely wrecked all of Aparo's mysterious atmosphere. On a side note, he was terrible over LaRoque and others on Legion of Super-Heroes, as well.

The book is capped off by one story drawn by Breyfogle, which is always welcome.

All in all, I guess I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

16. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Saga #43 - 10/10

Given the cover for the August issue, I didn't think
    Alana would recover from her miscarriage
    yet. The conversation between Petrichor and Hazel was nice and I was certainly surprised by the ending of this issue.

Black Torch #5 - 9/10

So now the team's been established and the
    Section 1 Chief
    just arrived. I'm guessing a fight could go down between the two leaders.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  17. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Before Watchmen: Comedian & Rorschach
    7/10

18. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Berserk ch. 334-342 - 10/10

It took me some time but I'm finally caught up with Berserk. It was great seeing
    Rickert and Erica again. Rickert's bitch slap of Griffith was fully deserved. I also enjoyed the part where he says "The Falcon of Light is not my commander" and escapes the city with a rocket launcher.

Twin Star Exorcists ch. 42 - 9/10

I sorta had the feeling ever since the match ups were announced that Mayura
    wouldn't win her fight with Subaru. I also honestly have no clue which child Subaru is going to manipulate Mayura into killing since it could explained after this arc ends.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham

How great was this? Batman + Lovecraft pastiche written by Mignola & Pace and drawn by Nixey & Janke. Abrupt in places but a lot of fun. Great all around, but I specifically have to praise Janke's inking, which really holds things together.

Batman Rebirth vol. 1

Competent all around, but so dull. A great writer and a good artist doing some of his best work, but I didn't care about anything that was going on.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Red Hood & the Outlaws Rebirth vol. 1

The nerfing of Jason Todd continues. Everything that was interesting about Jason Todd's return from the dead continues to be toned down and pushed to the background, replaced by something much more generic and friendly. The original New 52 series sounded like the worst idea in human history on paper, but turned out to be a pleasant surprise during Lobdell's initial run... especially when Rocafort was drawing with his quirky style and imaginative layouts. Fan outrage over minor aspects of the book caused DC to panic and backtrack a bit, making the comic less enjoyable and unique as it went on, but oh well. In theory, Rebirth would have been a great place to get back on track. Or to do something new that was at least equally interesting.

Artemis as a replacement for power character Starfire kind of works. Like Starfire in the New 52 book, Artemis has a mysterious and nebulous background. She's fine. But rather than another character closer to Jason's power level as a normal, relatable human in the third slot, like Arsenal, the new series instead goes for another power character, which shifts the dynamic towards the boring. Doubly-bad, the new character is Bizarro, who I almost never enjoy. He's okay in small doses once every several years, but now he's a main character, and that just doesn't work for me. He doesn't even speak in negatives anymore, so all he is is basically misunderstood, childlike Hulk in a cape. YAWN.

The conceit is that the three characters now form a "Dark Trinity" as distorted mirror images of Batman, WW, and Superman. But that is not an idea that interests me as much as the Jason/Roy road trip vibe with ingénue Starfire of the previous series. Nothing about this book was done poorly. The plot was solid and the art was nice. It just wasn't interesting, maybe due to me picking up the book to read about Jason Todd, and instead getting a watered-down nobody as a replacement.

I'm not even sure what the character's history is anymore, since dialogue between Batman and Jason in this book makes it seem like 'Under the Hood' is no longer in continuity. It's a real shame.

I'll still read volume 2 when it comes out, because from leafing through single issues, it looks like Artemis' back story is pretty interesting. So maybe she'll be the reason to read this book, rather than Jason. I'm keeping hope alive that the book will get better.