The Last Comic/TPB/Manga/Etc You've Read and Rate It Out of 10

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Batman/Superman vs. Aliens and Predator - 6/10. Just...alright. Could have been waaay better.

Batman vs. Aliens - 10/10. Wow. That's all I can say. Blew me away with how good it was.

Superman For All Seasons - 10/10. If John Ford or Frank Capra had made a Superman movie, this is how it would have been. Loved every single second of it and I am officially a Tim Sale fanboy.

Superman: Kryptonite - 10/10. Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale. What could possibly go wrong? In a lot of ways, it felt like a sequel to For All Seasons and Cooke is a master at writing good dialogue. Warner Bros. needs to get Cooke to write the new Superman movie. It would be above and beyond with him writing.

Batman: Haunted Knight - 10/10. Amazing.

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Superman for Tomorrow, vol. 1. - Superman's rightfully conflicted here over his role in the world after losing Lois, who grounds him, and the art by Jim Lee is excellent. It's hard to judge the whole story without reading the second half though. 9/10 so far.

3. Optimus1986

Ghostbusters: Ghostbusted - 8/10. The dialogue was absolutely hilarious, but the story lagged a bit in the middle. Still a fun read though.

4. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

I've read 11-12 of the Walking Dead trades - 9.5/10

I've read the first 7 trades of Ex Machina - 9/10

Also read the first 9 Fables trades - 8.5/10

I pretty much read whatever trades a friend of mine gives me, then I give them back and he provides me with more. I'll go through 10 trades in 3 days or less sometimes.

Would anybody recommend Invincible or Y: The Last Man?

5. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I've read the first 4 trades of Y: The Last Man so far and love it. Highly recommended.

6. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

Thanks!

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Preacher v7: Salvation - 7/10 - Pretty good overall, although some parts felt tacked on and unnecessary (ie -
    Quincannon having sex with meat
    ). Lots of character development for Jesse, but the absence of most of the regular cast is noticeable.

Can't speak to Invincible, but Y is an excellent series and well worth checking out the trades.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 - 2/10 Fucking awful. I thought I'd check it out with the film on the way and loads of people pissing themselves over the book.

Annoying slacker speech not just in the way the characters talk (which would be just about forgivable) but the scene/time idents, such as "The next day or something".
    Piss poor pacing, nothing happens for wayyyy too long.
    Also, can the guy responsible draw more than one face? Not judging by this effort.

I'd feel ripped off if it had ben a free webcomic.

9. Optimus1986

The New Teen Titans: the Judas Contract - 9/10. Good stuff.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Fullmetal Alchemist v23 - 9.5/10 - This series just keeps on getting better with every volume as it gets closer to the end. So many cool scenes and "holy crap!" moments throughout this volume. Absolutely excellent. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because there are one or two panels where it's not clear what's going on in the art. Minor nitpick, though.

- Preacher v8: All Hell's A-Coming - 8/10 - Much better, since it finally gets back to the main story, plus a few essential flashbacks. Good to see Starr back again, plus appearances by a number of bit characters from earlier in the series. Not sure how all the disparate plot threads are going to be wrapped up in just one more volume, though.

11. Flint

Flint Master of Useless Info

Trinity by Matt Wagner.. Just reread this great story of the First meeting of Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman.

12. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    X-Necrosha

A good read, if only let down with a more than obvious ending, but it was a fun ride. 8/10

Side note - I don't think Marvel have totally decided on what to call the event looking at the spine, Necrosha X....?

13. Optimus1986

Batman: Batgirl - 7/10. Good Barbara Gordon story, but it wrapped up a bit too quickly for my tastes.

14. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I just read Amazing Spidey #638, the first part of O.M.I.T., and I was not impressed. I have no idea where it will fit in the overall continuity and half of it is just a reprint of an older Spiderman Annual. 3/10

On the bright side, I've been reading GI Joe: Cobra from IDW and it is fantastic. I definitely recommend it for any GI Joe fans out there. You don't have to be following the Ongoing or other Joe titles to follow it. 9/10

15. Optimus1986

Superman #701. 8/10. Nothing of note action-wise, but I loved this comic. It's just Supes walking around and dealing with relatively mundane things - not punching anyone, etc., but the ending was really beautiful. As Darwyn Cooke once said, "writing Superman is hard", but I think the writer here did a great job.

16. Rider Strike

Rider Strike HARD WORK AND GUTS.

Bakuman (Volume 1) by Tsugumi Ohba with art by Takeshi Obata - 10/10

I haven't really read any Manga in a while but, this has definately made me get back into. BS aside, the Story is great, the Art is great; it's just what you'd expect the "Death Note" team of Ohba and Obata. It's sooooo good, I might go read it again.

GO PICK IT UP!

17. Wheeljack78

Wheeljack78 Well-Known Member

Batman:Hush. I was surprised at how good this was - Jim Lee's art is great and the end had a few unexpected twists 8/10

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Wonder Woman: Bitter Rivals 7/10. An interesting story about an industrialist trying to discredit Wonder Woman and bring her down.

Batman: Year One 10/10. The first steps of the Batman in his never ending crusade that was more or less wholesale adapted into Batman Begins. A great comic.

19. Wheeljack78

Wheeljack78 Well-Known Member

Hellboy: Seed of Destruction-9/10

20. Optimus1986

Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom - 8.5/10. I liked it.