"The Last Airbender" or the Avatar movie that is not Cameron's -Thread-

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Red Frenzy, May 22, 2009.

1. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Sorry if this is a zombie thread but we should have a new trailer January, the movie releases July 2nd this year so we should start discussing it now?

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The next trailer will air during the Superbowl.

3. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Sorry I got that from the Facebook page. I really hope this doesn't fail like Dragon ball...

4. Venksta

News Credits:
    From what I read, the creators of the show are heavily involved. Plus, M Night is not a bad director. His scripts are the problem with his latest movies. And Last Airbender isn't written by him, so that is one thing to put this off to a good start.

5. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    This looks like it will be an absolutely beautiful movie, and you can tell that lots of care has gone into the locations/clothing/etc.

However, the thing that made the show great was not the setting or the bending, it was the characters. These are characters you actually wound up caring about. He'd better not ditch the story in favor of too many firebending special effects.

And while the actor who plays Aang looks really good, Aang's single most defining feature isn't his bald head or his arrow. It's his big smile and his laugh! Shymalan had better get that part right, it's what makes Aang Aang.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You read wrong. Not only are they not involved, they haven't even commented on the movie at all. One would think it would be good press to have the creators saying "it's awesome!" but they don't even have that. That and Shamamamama has said that he aims to distance it from the TV show's "constant toilet humor"...

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Juuust gonna leave this here, too: The Last Airbender Movie | Activism

[​IMG]

Apparently this is a bit of a "thing" with at least some Asians, even those in showbusiness.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. Sokka and Katara especially look way white. Kinda makes me not see them as the same characters.

- Coeloptera

8. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Katara is a bit hot and Zuko isn't very good casting, Aang should atleast try to look happy..

9. Venksta

News Credits:
    I'm sure the audience at the SDCC 2008 panel heard wrong, from what one of the creators had to say about the movie.

SDCC 08: Avatar: The Last Airbender - story - at IGN

And from other things I've found, both creators have shown up on set to check things out. So their definitely not distancing themselves from the movie.

10. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cannot wait to see the new trailer, i LOVE this series,it is awesome.

11. David

David Here for a good time, not a long time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They is sad cuz the other Avatar.

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I still think the racebending-card is BS, if only because the movie is made by someone who isn't white and who has never displayed any sort of racism in his movies. If someone like Micheal Bay would be directing this movie, then you'd have a point.

And before you start about Zuko looking Arabian: Don't forget that he was originally going to be played by Zac Effron who is, let's face it, a bad actor. But he was replaced by an Indian who CAN act and was even in an Oscar winning movie. Do you really they only cast him for his Arabian appearance?

As for the other castings; I would rather have actors who can play the role and have a slight but noticeable visual resemblance, than actors who look exactly like the characters but can't play it. If that requires a race change, then so be it. As long as they keep the general feel of the world and stick close to the story of the cartoon, then you won't hear me complain. They're certainly on the right track so far.

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I have seen these pics before as well as the trailer I was just waiting for someone to post this. Anyways I've watched the cartoon it was awesome to watch. Now I'm kinda sketical about Zuko, but Aang looks decent. But yeah I think it'll be cool to see, hopefully M.Night does screw up like someone posted earlier.

14. Burn_Out

Burn_Out Active Member

I think that as long as they can make the fighting and effects look good, then it will be a hit. I don't want to see Dragonball E effects, they sucked.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Not only is he a great actor, but apparently he has a background in martial arts as well. He even won a bronze medal in an international taekwondo championship. Him and the kid they got for Aang seem to be spot on casting imo. Though I'm not too sure about the other two yet, but I can see them both working well if the script is decent enough.

16. Venksta

News Credits:
    Zuko was originally cast to be played by Jesse McCartney. He apparently skipped out or wasn't able to go to the martial arts training the main actors were required scheduled for, and so they recast Zuko's part with Dev Patel.

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

It's really apparently far more of a "Paramount" thing than a M. Night thing.

I've heard this from Asian actors like Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa and Lane Nishikawa (who I met when he mentioned this) before.

Oh and this: Caucasian or Any Other Ethnicity :: The Last Airbender Movie Casting | Activism at Racebending.com

This is the specific issue, I believe; that from the very beginning, the casting could potentially be seen as "skewed" towards white actors for the leads and non-whites for nonspeaking roles.

Like I said, this is apparently a "thing" with some Asians, including those in showbiz. I'm also honestly surprised. I just sort of automatically assumed the cast would be a buncha Asians of various sorts since the show is pretty much a fantasy Asian mashup.

It'd be like seeing Lord of the Rings and Aragorn was Marc Dacascos or something. It's notable only in that it goes against a very natural assumption about the casting choices.

It just seems to be a perennial complaint from Asian actors at verious levels, they often feel shut out of lead roles that do not conform to certain, specific stereotypes.

- Coeloptera

18. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bout time Aang took that stupid smile off of his face :p 

but I'm looking forward to either enjoying or making fun of this movie so it's a win/win for me ^^

19. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits: