The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ankokushin

ankokushin Well-Known Member

Need this....

• Like Like x 1
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, if you want something in a Masterpiece size range, go for the Jinbao Devastator. The quality is amazing for the price.

NBK is really only if you want something in a CHUG scale, and you don't want to spend very much. For that purpose, it's decent. But the Jinbao is really the best Devastator option for your dollar.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  3. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

Yeah I have the NBK, found it at a flea market for $20 but it's so simple and feels kinda loose. Devastator is prob my fave combiner so I want a big fancy one. Originally I had some of the toyworld one but I hear that crumbles now

4. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Well-Known Member

The only other thing I'd say about the NBK version is that it's a great base to customize, but moot point if that's not your bag. Worst part of NBK in my opinion is the front of Hook's alt mode...what a weird mess.

The Jinbao really is great, especially for that price point. Either of the upgrade kits also make for a great addition to the height and boost the proportions nicely.

We'll see how the XTB and MMC versions turn out, but I don't see either displacing Jinbao as my Devastator.

5. SMOG

I find that NBK Mixmaster can be a bit loose in the legs, but the others are pretty sturdy. The combined mode is surprisingly not floppy at all, and is actually more rigid than several of my expensive 3P combiners, though it is essential to lock the hips in place with Long Haul's gun. If you don't have that gun, the legs will flop all over the place.

Is the Toyworld Devastator prone to plastic fatigue or something? I hadn't heard that. It's definitely one of the best looking sets on the market I think. It would really suck if the plastic is flawed.

I'm not a big fan of what they changed on Hook, but I think Scrapper's robot mode still makes him the worse of the set.

Price alone is a big part of that to me. Even if those other sets are better... will they be enough better that I'd drop double or triple (or even quadruple) the price to replace JB? I can't see that happening.

zmog

6. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Might be run to run variations, then. Even with the gun locked in mine was always a floppy mess.

That's certainly debatable. While Scrapper's stubby legs are also objectively bad, I can't fathom why they actually changed Hook's cab in the first place. I mean, even JJ kept it looking normal despite massive simplification.
    Screenshot_20230927_193539.jpg
    I can see how the simplification resulted in Scrapper being, um...truncated, but see no reason at all for changing it into a mess of panels that doesn't even vaguely resemble anything vehicular.

Yeah...both of those things are pretty bad :ev: 

I'd say XTB doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell but I could absolutely see MMC changing my mind based on the strength of their insanely fun engineering and staunch materials. Their All-Built-In Combiner series (as well as most of their other recent products) have been consistent home runs for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

Yea my NBK is complete and I lock everything when I transform him, he's still loose.

I popped into the tw thread to read discussions to make my decision and a lot of people were talking about how the internal joints crumbled and it hasn't held up over time which just solidified my future jinbao purchase

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's an impressive piece and pretty sturdy, although it does have some balance issues out-of-the-box, although that's more of a Gravity Builder problem than a Jinbao problem.

• Like Like x 3
  9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If anything, if you haven't already, consider also getting the latest update kit that came out this year... if there's one issue that I've had with mine is that my Scapper arrived with a broken peg that holds the "foot/shovel" in place (and is the one MASSIVE "what the heck where they thinking and why didn't they make it into a solid clip design"), and the kit has pieces that slips under the foot making it hold together properly. The rest of the kit is great but not as needed as those feet parts. Considering that the kit is actually really cheap for what you get (and the quality is just as good as Devi himself) and absolutely worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RussianSentaiFan

RussianSentaiFan Well-Known Member

11. SMOG

Floppy is maybe relative. Most of the early combiner projects tend to be a bit floppy when combined, and it's just a factor of weight-vs-joints. Relative to the other fancier combiners I have of a similar size, both of my NBK Devastators barely move at all when I pick them up or move them around. It's not because the joints are great, but they are quiet stiff, and the figures are really lightweight, so there's not much strain on them. Of course there are weak areas - the neck plate pops up all the time and the ball-joint hands aren't great at holding things. The elbows hold their own weight fine, but I wouldn't expect them to support a large weapon or another figure.

But NBK did run this mold into the ground over many releases, so maybe some tolerances are lower on later releases? On mine, all the main joints and load-bearing hinges are pretty stiff.

_~devastator (2).JPG _~devastator (8).JPG
    So like, in the poses above, I can pick him up by his waist, carry him across the room and set him down, without his pose slipping. There's a bit of swing at his shoulder joints but not much.

It is a really weird creative choice, and it looks clunky in both of Hook's modes... but after decades of clunky Hasbro designs, I guess it doesn't jump out at me, and I find myself more annoyed by the fact that they gave him a faceplate instead of keeping his regular face.

Does the JJ version retain the built-in head? Honestly, I would have happily sacrificed the integrated Devastator head for a better Hook leg (and a Devastator head with a better facial expression, since I'm daydreaming lol )

I think the issue with Scrapper is not just the stumpy weird legs, but that his execution is the worst overall.

I think it was the first figure they released, and it feels like they hadn't refined their approach yet. His construction feels notably "cheaper" than the others to me, with his awkward arms, loose wrists, and legs that never seem to pose right.

I have Bruticus, and I agree... they're a lot of fun. There are some sacrifices inherent in the all-built-in model, but not as many as you'd expect. Bruticus, I find, actually looks a fair bit better with his upgrade parts. I respect that he can transform without them, but those slippers do help.

The pressure will really be on MMC to do something with their Devastator that feels novel after so many predecessors.

I know what you're saying about XTB, but I just picked up their Grapple, and I have to admit... if they bring that game to the table with the Constructicons, this might be an incredible set. It's a fantastic piece.

Ugh. Joint issues are the worst. I will say this... my Jinbao Long Haul's hip joint split. I think it's because this joint bears a LOT of weight in Devastator mode, and the ratchets are SUPER tight.

In my case, it seems like the ratchet spring was actually TOO strong, and the plastic cracked under the constant pressure. I don't think many people have had the same issue, but something to look out for.

Otherwise, the joints are good. One of the arms (Scavenger I think) was initially released without the internal ratchets in place for the Devastator shoulder joint, but they provided replacement ratchets in the subsequent set -- I'm not sure if newer releases have fixed this by now. You may or may not have to do some minor surgery to swap in the new shoulder joint.

Agreed. Jinbao Devastator is extremely heavy and has a lot of lean in him. Don't put him anywhere unsupported if you can help it, since he might just lean off the shelf!

I have tried both of the upgrade kits, and both of them actually help him tremendously with balance and stability, in addition to improving his aesthetics substantially. I heartily recommend either upgrade kit.

That's a very good point about the "shoes" in the newer upgrade kit. My Scrapper is stable, but there's a lot of pressure on that shovel and it always made me nervous. The shoe pieces do a lot to support both feet.

zmog

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I have an earlier NBK copy and mine would never even be able to strike the pose on the right and hold it for any time, much less after being picked up and carried. I'd probably chalk it up to NBK's QC being all over the place.

Yes, JJ did. However, I don't see how that would impact the leg at all since they're in different ends of the figure.

I can't disagree. I had a particular issue with the left shovel arm always breaking under load in combined mode. I've replaced mine twice for that...thank goodness it was on clearance at that point and dirt cheap. Looks like it (plus a few parts on other bots) is broken again, so instead of selling the customized NBK I'm just breaking it down for parts. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SMOG

Yeah, they really pumped them out. My Green and Yellow NBK sets were about the same. The one in the picture has been completely disassembled to swap in the orange and purple parts from the green version, but nothing changed after reassembly. Of course, the way the joints are on this figure, if they were loose, I'm not sure there'd be much to do about it. I think most of them are pinned.

Hmm. Looking at pictures, maybe not. I see a lot of screws. Am I misremembering?

Right right... NBK Devastator's head is stored in Hook's leg. I forgot that in the original (and JJ) the head is hanging off his back.
    _~hook (15).JPG

Huh. So far so good on mine. I had them combined for a while, but broke them down for storage when I moved. But some plastics do not age well, so I'll keep an eye on that when I recombine them next.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Yeah, these guys are all screws. That was part of what made it an ideal custom project. I had the yellow version that I painted green. At the timeI found it was easier to match the green than the purple I had envisioned, so I went that route. So mine's floppy even with a few coats of paint and seal, lol

Ha...and I forgot that on the NBK it's in his leg. I heavily customized mine with JJ parts to fix that eyesore front-end and give him a proper Hook head, as well as a few tweaks to accommodate the GT upgrade kit for the original Gravity Builder. After all that it slipped my mind that this is where the head was originally.

15. SMOG

It is a bizarre choice for NBK to move it there... a seemingly unmotivated change, unless the point was to differentiate the mold from GT's version for legal reasons. I've considered getting some JJ parts to retro-engineer Scrapper and Hook's designs, but never had a cheap and convenient source on them.

The purple on the yellow version is much nicer than the green version (plus, no orange windows). If you're gonna paint anyway, good call to start with the yellow set.

zmog

16. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Well...I also popped out the blue windows, custom cut plexi panels to fit behind the window gaps, and covered them with translucent purple. I figured if I was already painting all the yellow parts, I should just go ALL THE WAY :ev: 

• Like Like x 1
  17. SMOG

You're mad, I say. MAD!

• Like Like x 2
  18. mikeax24

mikeax24 Seeker of Knockoffs, Collector of recolors

I use both, do you have a link?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
  20. SMOG

Wow, those are some BIG boxes. I'm always a bit amazed to see how much superfluous packaging and outright airspace Chinese KO makers put around their cheap toys.

zmog

• Like Like x 3